Practical differences between the Park and Filed modes?

gene the machine

Apr 24, 2012
Western New York
Detector(s) used
Compass Coin Magnum, Garrett GTP1350, Minelab CTX 3030, XP Deus, Nokta Impact
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use Field 2 for relic hunting. Calabash Digger prefers Park 2. Both modes are optimized for mid-conductors (brass, lead, small gold) better than Park 1 which is optimized for high conductors like copper and silver coins. Switch modes on the fly when interrogating a suspected relic target (before digging it) to see what mode seems to hit the target better. I also have relic hunted in Gold mode. I like to put a an "opposite" mode in the user profile slot to help with interrogating targets. For example, if I am hunting using Field 2, I'll put Park 1 or Field 1 in the User Profile slot. Varying recovery speed and iron bias can have a big effect too, as well as using the horseshoe button (no discrimination) to hear everything in the ground. If you don't like the 50 tone setup in Field 2, switch to 5 tones.

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As vfarrari mentioned, the 1's are better for high conductors, and the 2's are better for mid and low conductors. Ground and trash conditions along with what you expect to find can dictate which will work better. I find the Field modes handle coke related items (as in coal byproducts, cinders, and some slag) better than the Park modes, but, the Park modes seem to be more stable at a given Sensitivity setting. I almost always hunt in 50 tones and all metal, then use discrimination and a user profile mode to further examine the target if it's something questionable. In relic hunting, you're going to dig just about everything anyway, right?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions