PRE-CW SILVER! Flying Eagle Cent, Rosette, CW Button, and MORE...

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

I went with Rodeo Recon back to try and find the rest of the snake belt buckle today. Didn't find it--and as the number of targets dwindles at the site, I get less and less optimistic that it's there... :-\

But we did have a good day today. :)

When we first got on the site, I dug a flat button--followed immediately by a coin:

FE in Dirt.jpg

FE in Dirt1.jpg

When I was looking at it, I couldn't recognize anything. :icon_scratch: On the way out there in the car, Rodeo and I'd been talking about the fact that we'd gotten a complete set of the IH "fattys" except for the 1860 between all of us--and we said that we ought to be able to find a Flying Eagle Cent sooner or later. ::) Well, I saw the date--1857--and realized that our morning speculation on the drive over had come true. :thumbsup: It's a rough looking coin, but I'm very pleased with it.

FE.jpg

There was something else we'd talked about for a while--and that was finding an Old, Good piece of jewelry sooner or later--either silver or gold... But back to the story... :wink:

So we kept hitting the field. Rodeo managed a nice flat button identical to the one that I'd found the day before at the site--BENEDICT & COE backmark.

Flat Button.jpg

And here is a photo or two of each of us digging like crazy fools on such a fine Fall day:

Rodeo Digg.jpg

Me Diggin.jpg

Rodeo Diggin.jpg

Rodeo soon called me over--and I knew he'd found something good. When I saw it in the dirt I knew that another goal on our list had become a reality. It is a Silver child's ring--most likely pre-CW, and made from coin silver. The design on it is very simple. I think this is a Fantastic find--and it is one that honestly Moved me standing there in that field today. Wondering about the life and fate of that child that grew up, had kids of their own, grew old, and passed on--or perhaps died early, leaving the ring behind to be worn on a necklace and treasured by a grieving parent.

Moments like that are what good metal detecting is made of.

Ring in Dirt.jpg

Ring in Hand.jpg

We kept at it, picking up bits of brass bent up by the plow, suspender clips, lantern pieces, and lead bits. I managed to nab an Eagle button (turns out it still has some gilding on it). I don't know How that button survived the plow. Rodeo got two backs from two piece buttons today (likely Eagle buttons as well). :-\

I also finally got a suspender clip that matched another one--but they're from the same site (and one is just a tiny piece). Every clip I have Ever dug has been different except for this one and a piece off its twin (in the upper left hand corner of the photo of all my finds, cleaned).

So, here are the before/after photos:

Finds Uncleaned.jpg

And my finds from the hunt, cleaned up:

Finds Cleaned.jpg

I forgot to put a HUGE button in that photo, because I thought it was a brass washer (someone had punched a hole through it close to where the shank had broken off). Then careful cleaning revealed an ornate design. :) This close to being my biggest dug flat button.

Big Button.jpg

Upvote 1
OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As I examined one of the pieces of bent-up brass from the field, I realized that it had a lip on the back side of it like it was lead-filled at one time. Since it likely wasn't a buckle or plate (although I wasn't entirely convinced that it wasn't an unmarked breastplate), I decided to heat it with boiling water and straighten it a little at a time. (This piece was Trashed before. It is the piece to the left of the Flying Eagle Cent in the photo of uncleaned finds.) Here it is afterwards. Large Cent is for scale.

Rosette Front.jpg

Rosette back.jpg

And here is Rodeo's silver child's ring:

Ring.jpg

Ring1.jpg

Best Wishes,

The IRON Brigade

Newt

Bronze Member
Dec 10, 2007
Georgia
Detector(s) used
1265X and Tejon
At it again. I have to tromp through knee high weeds for my finds. Your making me jealous.
Newt

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats you two on those SUPER keepers! Looks like it was a beautiful day there today. :)

Nana

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Newt said:
At it again. I have to tromp through knee high weeds for my finds. Your making me jealous.
Newt

Well...

We sweated our Butts off all summer in 90 degrees and ticks and brushy woods.  I think we deserve some Wide-Open Spaces before it gets frozen here.  :wink:

Coming back into town for another hunt anytime soon?

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You and Rodeo had an amazing hunt and some wonderful finds!

That child's ring is outstanding :thumbsup: . . . it truly adds to the personality of the site you've all been exploring.

Take care,
watercolor

49er

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2005
Sun City, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites..MXT..GMT
Fantastic finds...I am jealous. Keep up the great detecting.

Attachments

• remvet.jpg
    remvet.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 1,644
  • remvet.jpg
    remvet.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 1,645

oracle

Nov 1, 2008
MI
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500
Congrats on the flying eagle cent and silver ring. Looks you guys had a great day detecting.

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
fourtyniner said:
Congrats on the flying eagle cent and silver ring. Looks you guys had a great day detecting.

Thanks to the two 49ers in a row. ;D

And welcome to Tnet, fourtyniner. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kevo said:
That eagle cleaned up great!  You've added a few nice eagle buttons here lately.  Nice finds. 

Thanks Kevo.  We'd found seven eagle buttons between all of us in the last two weeks. This one made eight.

:thumbsup:

brnn53

Mar 31, 2006
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug, Tejon, T2 LTD, F75, & Nautilus DMC II B
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome saves! It is great to dig in an open field and find good relics. Congrats and keep picking at that site!
Mike

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats to you two BB. You guys are like field vaccums. :wink:
Way to go on all your finds but the Flying Eagle & child's ring are super. :thumbsup:
Man, I wish I could find an open field like that. :'( Seems like it would take years to go through that much land.
I can see the gold gilt on the sweet eagle button too. Nice. :thumbsup:
As always, thanks for the great post & pictures.
-Doug-

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Looks like a great day of hunting, and some good finds, too. I love finding things like that ring; you do wonder who owned it, how long ago, what kind of life did they have, etc.

TimC (North Alabama)

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2007
Cullman, AL
Detector(s) used
Minelabs-Garretts-Fishers-Teknetics-Whites-Nautilus-Tesoros'
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are some truly first class finds. A day like that only comes once and a while and is made memorable by the experience you had in reflection. :thumbsup:

Dman

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2006
Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXPLORER SE
Super finds. You all are really getting some good stuff. I really like the child's ring.
Dman

T

TreasurdiggrNY

Great finds, congrats to you and Rodeo. The eagle button, Flying Eagle cent and silver ring are fantastic WTG :icon_thumleft:
Glenn

minton7

Mar 28, 2007
south central ohio
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT
cool Flying Eagle... only hit one of those in all my detecting efforts and mine is smooth on the back totally.. the front is gone except the Eagle outline.. no date......

congrats!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread