Pre-decimal note hoard ( NOT MINE )

Yarrum

Mar 13, 2007
Queensland, Australia
Detector(s) used
Jackeroo, BH Landstar
It's Sunday night and we just got home from a bbq at some friends house around the corner. Had a great time and we got talking about
coins and banknotes cause my wife and I found a huge stash of silver up the street the other day and gave it to the cops (that's another story)
Anyway Jodie (the host's wife) says hey what about the stash of banknotes we found we told you about that didn't we. I said "nooooo"!!!!
So her husband Mick was ripping out an old double built in wardrobe to put a newer bigger one in and found an old Commonwealth (Australian) passbook with 18 x 5 pound Coombes/Wilson notes and 5 x 10 pound Coombes/Wilson notes. You may know that they were from just before we went to decimal
currency. The same sigs were on the first decimal notes.
Anyway the 5s start in the cruddiest condition at $30 each and a few of them are pretty crappy but the good ones are worth $130 each and they have a few that qualify. The 10s start at $100 and at least one of them is a $5 or 6 hundred dollar value it is in that good a condition.
I just about had kittens seeing all that loot in front of me. I rang Jodie when I got home and told her the approx values and she nearly had a heart attack.

I dream about a find like this and then it happens to someone else LOL. ;D :-\ At least it's someone I know. And I got to have a good look through them and dream a little more.
No pics but I grabbed a couple off the net.
Thank for reading.

Attachments

• 1960deto.gif
    1960deto.gif
    50.9 KB · Views: 397
  • AustraliaP35-5Pounds-(1960-65)-donateddeenz_f.jpg
    AustraliaP35-5Pounds-(1960-65)-donateddeenz_f.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 379
Upvote 0

Harry_Morant

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2006
Canberra
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Makes you wonder how many hoards second hand dealers find when they go through a house and furniture. I went to an auction today where it belonged to an old timer who passed away and had no family. His collection of valuable stuff was amazing. For instance the dealer found a tea set in a cupboard in a box of light bulbs and only later when they found the paperwork did they realise what it was. It was a Georg Jenson tea set which the old chap had paid $12000 for back in the 70s or 80s.

mlhudson

Mar 19, 2006
GADSDEN, ALA.
Detector(s) used
All White's Detectors MXT and IDX_pro, ANY OLD DETECTOR WILL DO
EVERYONE LIKES MONEY, EVEN OVER SEAS MONEY. VERY NICE :thumbsup:

ML HUDSON

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread