jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
I normally don't do this but I am stuck inside so...

This is just a teaser post WITHOUT pics for now...

Well as I'm sure many of you know there is a hurricane coming for NJ right now and it is supposed to be a whopper! Well that didn't deter me this AM from hitting 2 estate sales. The second one was a Fri-Sat sale so I went fully expecting it to be picked clean by Sat AM. Well, somehow magically it was not... I scored a vintage hand saw, 13 vinyl records (several decent), and a turn of the century curio/china cabinet. All for $208!

The curio cabinet has that curved, wavy glass complete with bubbles and all! The people running the sale claimed it was late 1800s but I suspect it could probably be early 1900s more likely. It is missing the back piece and it doesnt have the key. It could stand to be refinished but overall it is a beautiful piece with no major issues. Looks like this one won't be for sale though as it is going in my dining room to display my wife's Lenox.

Pics to come. I hope everyone stays safe in this storm.

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
jerseypicked said:
I normally don't do this but I am stuck inside so...

This is just a teaser post WITHOUT pics for now...

Well as I'm sure many of you know there is a hurricane coming for NJ right now and it is supposed to be a whopper! Well that didn't deter me this AM from hitting 2 estate sales. The second one was a Fri-Sat sale so I went fully expecting it to be picked clean by Sat AM. Well, somehow magically it was not... I scored a vintage hand saw, 13 vinyl records (several decent), and a turn of the century curio/china cabinet. All for $208!

The curio cabinet has that curved, wavy glass complete with bubbles and all! The people running the sale claimed it was late 1800s but I suspect it could probably be early 1900s more likely. It is missing the back piece and it doesnt have the key. It could stand to be refinished but overall it is a beautiful piece with no major issues. Looks like this one won't be for sale though as it is going in my dining room to display my wife's Lenox.

Pics to come. I hope everyone stays safe in this storm.
DON'T REFINISH IT!!!!!!!!!! IF YOU DO THERE GOES ANY REAL VALUE IT HAD!!

OP
OP
jerseyben

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Pics as promised! It is in the garage with crap piled on top of it because of the hurricane and I was worried about flooding. The shelves are not in the cabinet but I do have them - no problem.

Let me know what you guys think. I know its somewhat rough right now but I plan on having it fixed up and using it in my dining room.
I circled the curved glass with red to show a nice bubble in the glass.

Attachments

• curio1.jpg
    curio1.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 531
  • curio2.jpg
    curio2.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 516
  • curio3.jpg
    curio3.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 525

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
there is NOTHING WRONG with this to have it "fixed up" that is what a peice of wood furiture with it's age would an will look like!!! DO NOT DO A THING TO IT... DID YOU HEAR ME??????? If your going to do anything to it..pay for a apprassial then you will see why..btw it doesn't look like someone refinished it too me....

Randyd

Mar 8, 2011
Kalifornia
Nice piece. Like Creeper said That is one that you don't want to have refinished!! If you want a back piece for it, have one made and mounted using ORIGINAL iron brads, nails, screws, dowels or whatever they used for other parts of it. You can have the wood and stain matched on the new piece only.

OP
OP
jerseyben

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Creeper, you are a passionate person about furniture. No problem - I will leave it alone and have a back made for it.

I am mostly concerned with the area on the door near the hinge that is faded. It almost looks like a footprint but the stain is missing in that area. Not sure what to do with that part...

Rooter

Apr 14, 2009
Central Florida mountains
That's a nice cabinet. I think it's later also. Probably from around 1920 and its a very common design. The advice the others have given you is usually correct but I don't think it necessarily applies in this case. It's a nice piece of oak furniture but not particularly valuable. You may actually increase it's value by refinishing it IMO (most people like new looking finishes). You could try oiling it to try and bring out the original finish first. I'm like Creeper and like original finishes with character and age, but on a common piece I don't mind a good refinish job. You can purchase them in antique malls from $300.00 needing work to $1200.00 nicely restored. I would do whatever you like with it to make it the way you want it. I have one just like it with wood shelves and more ornate front legs. I purchased it about 10 years ago, nicely refinished, for about $800.00. I need another one.

Mark S.

Jan 25, 2005
Here is a method I used on an old cabinet hat came from a great aunts basement. It was a real mess but underneath the grime was a nice looking book case with the same old bubbled glass. It had actully been used as a paint cabinet so you can imagine the mess. An antique dealer friend told me to use mineral spirits and super fine steel wool. Rub lightly and keep wiping it off. It's messy and takes time. It will not alter the finish but will remove anything on it and make it look alot better. It did remove all the paint while leaving the original finish. That took patience to avoid rubbing thru the finish. What I thought would be a major refinish job turned into a pretty decent looking piece with just some elbow power.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread