WWII Nazi 30MM shell converted into a flashlight with a silver coin switch

Nov 17, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I paid $3.00 at a yard sale a couple of days ago.

At first I just though it was an old cool brass flashlight until I put my hand over the business end of the flash light and realized it was a shell. I have not measured it but judging from the size of the brass base it was probably a 30MM.

I was even more surprised when I looked at the base of it and noticed it had Nazi markings with the date 1940, a silver coin for the UK mounted to an inert primer which screws out.

I have no idea what this is worth and I am trying to figure out whether it is trench art or if someone made this into a souvenir after the war. I have not decided if I am going to sell it or not.

Pics coming in a second

OP
OP
famous turtle treasures
Nov 17, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1st set.

Attachments

• Picture 34.png
    Picture 34.png
    103.7 KB · Views: 768
  • Picture 33.png
    Picture 33.png
    283.8 KB · Views: 835

pganjon

Nov 6, 2008
South Central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Master Hunter 5, Ace 250
That is so cool :headbang: I love Tramp Art and Trench Art items, if that is what this is :icon_thumleft: Anything made by hand is a gift of skill from God and proves that swords can be hammered into plowshears :icon_sunny: Great find! Paul :coffee2:

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you decide to sell it, either price it very high and see what kind of attention you get, or send some pictures to one of the higher end military auction houses located throughout the country. I have no clue the value of trench art, if that is what it is, but it could be $200 or $2,000. So many variables in the value. Nicely done!

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
bazinga said:
If you decide to sell it, either price it very high and see what kind of attention you get, or send some pictures to one of the higher end military auction houses located throughout the country. I have no clue the value of trench art, if that is what it is, but it could be $200 or $2,000. So many variables in the value. Nicely done!
I would put it on ebay with a 2,000.00 reserve just to see how high it would go...then put the reserve the 2nd time at 75% of how high it went

2Minnesota

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2008
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark, Whites 5900/Di Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very interesting one of a kind piece--most likely.
Please keep us posted on what you do with this one......

bdxample

Mar 2, 2007
Panama City Florida
I believe that what you have is a very well made reproduction. In order to recover your money, sell it to me for 10.00
On a side note keep an eye out for a really cool flashlight I will have up for auction in a high end militaria auction :tongue3:
Seriously though...very cool find!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread