SC Keith

Aug 25, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
:hello:
I recovered this Phillip Mathews London made pewter tankard last year. It came from shallow water and was missing just the lid. It had a few pushes so I contacted a professional pewterer who happened have a correct 18th century lid which he joined to the tankard. He cleaned the tankard and removed the pushes so the piece would display better.
Keith

Attachments

• mug rough.jpg
    mug rough.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 892
  • tankasfound.jpg
    tankasfound.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 930
  • monorough.jpg
    monorough.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 892
  • cleanmono2.jpg
    cleanmono2.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 851
  • tankpalm.jpg
    tankpalm.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 839
  • palmtank2.jpg
    palmtank2.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 862
  • tanksky.jpg
    tanksky.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 872
Upvote 0

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Quite a find. Can you just imagine had it been an American maker. Value would be through the roof.

OP
OP
SC Keith

SC Keith

Aug 25, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Iron Patch said:
Quite a find. Can you just imagine had it been an American maker. Value would be through the roof.

Yes it would! Mathews made pewter in London from 1736 to 1755. Oh yes, nice 37th you got recently!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SC Keith said:
Iron Patch said:

Yes it would! Mathews made pewter in London from 1736 to 1755. Oh yes, nice 37th you got recently!

Still... it's a Colonial find, and an early intact one!

The 37th is post war, but was still good seeing a marked pewter come out. :thumbsup:

Kirk PA

Bronze Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
When you told me on the phone today that you may post the pewter tankard, I smiled to myself. I get butterflies in my stomach each time I see those pictures. One of these days, my friend, I will get something like that. One of my Colonial days....

Thanks for sharing this Great display piece. Take care, Keith, and keep in touch! I can smell some 'ole SC digging very soon from you. :wink: :icon_thumleft:

Kirk :hello:

55th Massachusetts

Jun 5, 2009
Detector(s) used
Nautilus
This HAS TO BE THE BEST RELIC I HAVE EVER SEEN!

I sent this link to Ivor Noel-Hume, the Head Archaeologist for Colonial Williamsburg for 30 years, and the father of Colonial Archaeology.

I'll let you know what he thinks of it!
REB

OP
OP
SC Keith

SC Keith

Aug 25, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
55th Massachusetts said:

I sent this link to Ivor Noel-Hume, the Head Archaeologist for Colonial Williamsburg for 30 years, and the father of Colonial Archaeology.

REB
REB,
Thanks for the nice comment on the tankard! I cant wait to hear what Hume thinks of it! I have several of his books and have been to Williamsburg. He is quite a man!
Keith

Kyle PA

May 12, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
That is a really nice relic, Keith! It has Colonial written all over it! :headbang:

DMN

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2009
That's one superb find! Any guess what the initials stand for?

OP
OP
SC Keith

SC Keith

Aug 25, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
DMN said:
That's one superb find! Any guess what the initials stand for?
DMN,
The initials represent 3 different sets of owners. I think the middle initial in the triad is the surname and the other two initials are the husband and wife. This is one of my favorite recoveries, and I appreciate your reply!
Keith

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow that's one sweet find, never seen anything like it on here!!! congrats :icon_thumright:

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
55th Massachusetts said:

REB

Great Find! I believe Ivor will definitely like this find....I've had the pleasure of digging at Jamestown under Ivor and he's a great man!

OP
OP
SC Keith

SC Keith

Aug 25, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
{Sentinel} said:
55th Massachusetts said:

REB

Great Find! I believe Ivor will definitely like this find....I've had the pleasure of digging at Jamestown under Ivor and he's a great man!

Thanks for the reply Sentinel! I bet that was an amazing experience to dig under Hume! I really enjoyed reading his books.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow Keith! That is a fantastic find. I am so glad you recovered and preserved that tankard. Have you had a 21st century swig of ale from that 18th century piece? I think it's safe to say it's been on the sidelines for the 19th and 20th centuries!

55th Massachusetts

Jun 5, 2009
Detector(s) used
Nautilus
Hey Keith, here is what Mr. Hume wrote about your tankard;

"The tankard is great. My guess is that it belonged to a tavern keeper and his wife whose tripple initials should make the ownership researchable. As the same female initial appears in both sets I think it likely that she became the widow of the first pair."
Best regards, INH

That is one hell of a find!
Robert

Kirk PA

Bronze Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
55th Massachusetts said:

"The tankard is great. My guess is that it belonged to a tavern keeper and his wife whose tripple initials should make the ownership researchable. As the same female initial appears in both sets I think it likely that she became the widow of the first pair."
Best regards, INH

Robert

Keith, I :notworthy: to you! :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

Kirk

OP
OP
SC Keith

SC Keith

Aug 25, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
55th Massachusetts said:

Best regards, INH

Robert

Robert,
Thanks again for the forward to Hume. I PMd you the other day and I hope you got my thanks and note that when you make it up to Myrtle Beach, I would like to meet you and show you the tankard. On another note, we need to see the History Channel do a documentary on your Mass.55 discovery! Thanks again my friend!
Keith

OP
OP
SC Keith

SC Keith

Aug 25, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Steve in PA said:
Wow Keith! That is a fantastic find. I am so glad you recovered and preserved that tankard. Have you had a 21st century swig of ale from that 18th century piece? I think it's safe to say it's been on the sidelines for the 19th and 20th centuries!
Thanks Steve! Dont think I wasnt tempted to have an ale or three out of this tankard! I had to restrain myself!! :laughing9:
Keith

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread