rock carving Sabertooth tiger found in Oregon

ezpecunia

Oct 16, 2010
Rock carving of what I believe portrays a Smilodon, sabertoothed tiger. It was found while excavating the footings for a house in Oakridge, Oregon in 1970's. It was @ 4 1/2 feet beneath the surface of the ground. It weughts@ 45lbs. and is 10 inheight, 11" in depth and 9" wide. The rock looks like a sedimentary type rock. It has an Aztec look about it.
Please help me...I would like to get it authenticated.

Attachments

• sabertooth 001.jpg
    sabertooth 001.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 1,664
  • sabertooth 003.jpg
    sabertooth 003.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 1,531
  • sabertooth 004.jpg
    sabertooth 004.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 1,546
  • sabertooth 013.jpg
    sabertooth 013.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 1,545
  • sabertooth 006.jpg
    sabertooth 006.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 1,568
  • sabertooth 018.jpg
    sabertooth 018.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 1,539
Upvote 0

TheRandyMan

Apr 3, 2010
Dallas, Texas
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II, Minelab Etrac, Ace 250k, Discovery TF-900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, firstly it would have helped greatly if you took tons of pictures of the rock in situ (in place in the ground where it was originally found). Now that it appears that opportunity is past your best hope is to contact someone at an Oregonian university in some department that is connected with the study of the early cultures in that region. Maybe they will be interested by the photos enough to take a look at it. If it passes their smell test, they might want to have it carbon dated or some other type of test to determine age and authenticity. Good luck :icon_sunny:

MKnTenn

Jul 30, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
Very cool, looks asian to me, maybe brought over from asia? Anyway it is a cool find.

Lucas

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2010
U of A
The last pic looks like it shows tool marks that are not Pre-Columbian. So, maybe a Central American jaguar, but not really old. If it is Asian, that's another thing, the have had metal tools for a long time.

Sweet T

Tenderfoot
Nov 25, 2009
oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher VLF 660 Mother Lode, Garret ACE 250 finally!
How did you come across this carving and did you take the pictures. What is the story behind it that you heard?

CC Hunter

Aug 7, 2004
Timbuktu
Detector(s) used
Magnet on a Stick
The stone carving piece you have is quite unique and unlike anything I've seen from the area. ??? The stone does not appear to be a material that is consistent with the Western Cascades. Possibly a geology expert familiar with Oregon rock formations can shed more light on the original material source. Was it found in flood plain river deposit material, or hillside soil?

A couple decades back, I was in fact a construction contractor operating in the small town of Oakridge. We dug up lots of rocks while excavating. All of our rocks though were more of a nuisance than anything, and far from interesting, :D (the upper Willamette has tons of rocks and excavating anywhere near the river is rarely easy).

Fact is, I'm actually more a metal expert myself (if it beeps, I've probably dug it somewhere.........sometime). Within my circle of acquaintances though, are a few knowledgeable folks in the field of early native American objects. This toothy titan you've shown is one I'll research further on in hopes of seeking a few answers.

CC Hunter

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was there any history of Chinese in the vicinity??Rail road or such??Sure has the "feel",of Mayan,but also has that Chinese dragon look to it.I would def. say it isnt Native American.I would be really interested to see what the University has to say

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread