Price guide

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
...I can show value of relics to land owners...So, I can keep more coins ;-)

Hi'ya rob,

Just little ole me, apparently. I'm not a fan of value guides, and unaware of some combination guide. The Kovels bottle values are very much on the high side, unrealistically so.

I'm mystified as to why you would want to be discussing "values" of undiscovered artifacts with landowners, though.

kovels+(650+x+958)b.jpg
Good book, no values involved.

OP
OP
robgwv

robgwv

Feb 17, 2013
west virginia
Detector(s) used
fisher f2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not undiscovered,I'm interested in coins...Most people in my area will want to see what I found...And they are more likely to want coins vs. rusty artifacts...Unless they precieve more value to the artifacts

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey rob,

I'm clearly not understanding what you are trying to accomplish here. Are you entering into some sort of agreement to split finds with landowners? Are you showing previous finds, in order to secure permissions? Perhaps you could fill in a few blanks...

Bookmobile%20June%202%201941%201st%20day%20inserta.jpg

OP
OP
robgwv

robgwv

Feb 17, 2013
west virginia
Detector(s) used
fisher f2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm just.. what if'n..Ok, Say I get permission to hunt private property and I find some old coins,3 ring bullets, buttons,what ever.The land owner(may) want some of the stuff. No formal agrement just common curtisy to share ..I would like to steer them toward the artifacts....Curtisy only goes so far.

got2dig

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2012
Mid-Tenn
Detector(s) used
XLT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
If you will get Warman's books they have prices and identification on Civil war relics. As for coins I use the official red book. It's a guide of US coins and there price. I think Whitman puts it out. Hope this will help you out....HH

Last edited:

JJohnson

Mar 14, 2013
Glen Allen, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab: Explorer, XS, E-Trac, CTX-30/30
Garrett: Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pricing Civil War relics is tough...I have seen identical items sell for two different prices and the best I can figure is that location of sale, what the actual buyer is willing to pay and how bad the seller needs the money are the main driving forces behind the sale. I have never sold a Civil War relic, I have bought a few though. Here in Virginia, old home sites many miles away from any CW activity can produce CW relics. Veterans returning from war to their homes. I have found several Virginia buttons this way and they could sell for $600 to $25 depending on the condition. One way I price CW relics is to look at eBay, Craig's List and other CW relics shop's websites. Best way would be to find someone near you that buys relics and get them to give you a buying figure. The books get outdated quickly and there is a huge difference in the book value and what some one will actually pay. Just my two cents...worth

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread