Primitive skills: Starting a fire without matches is empowering.

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HI, the jeans trick was from WW-2. Also a long sleeved shirt can be used, in fact almost any piece of cloth or plastic can be used by just filling it with air. Even if it leaks out in a few minutes you have saved that much energy.

Side thingie but :-[ we were issued er, ah, sheehs, blushing, condoms. Simply blow up one for each side and put them under your shirt. You can float for days this way but don't inflate them too much, just enough to float you comfortably. also :-[ they can be recycled if you land on friendly shores to establish friendly relations, although the first rule that I learned in international exploration was to lay off of the local females, the guys get upset for some reason. sheesh. ..

Don Jose de La Mancha

p.s. yer welcome Tube city

OP
OP
M

MEinWV

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2007
West "by god" Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fishers CZ5 and 1280X
Don Jose, Great idea! Condoms should actually be a must to have in a survival kit. You can use them for several things, aside from the obvious. You can use them to carry or keep water or other liquids. Use them to store and carry "found" food items such as seeds and nuts. They could be used to keep items dry for a short time when needed. I would recommend the non lubricated variety for your kit!

Use them to cover a wound such as a cut finger. They stretch quite a bit so you can use them to tie something off.

If you get the colorful kinds, you could blow them up and use them as a signal ;D

Get creative! Good luck!

P.S. Make dang sure you discuss this with your significant other before going out and buying them. You want to avoid any miscommunication with this subject. :wink:

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Them trojans are just too small, I carry ziplock freezer bags.

Tubecity

Bronze Member
Mar 11, 2007
sw Pa.
Like that episode of Survivor Man where he jumps off that rock into the water after making a
depth gauge from a rock & some vine. He throws it in one place & decides to jump. Yeah
right, as if they didn't know before that this was clear of obstructions. We had to jump from
a board fifteen feet over the water & do what they called a spread eagle landing, if your head
went under, you failed. You needed to land slightly forward, with your arms & one leg slightly
behind you. As you hit the water you swing both arms forward at shoulder height & bring the
back leg forward in a sort of scissor kick & it really works. You can shallow jump from this height
& never have your head go under water. But why take the chance in such a situation, take the
time & find a safer way into the water. Now if we could make a splint out of those condoms. :thumbsup:

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
Tubecity said:
Like that episode of Survivor Man where he jumps off that rock into the water after making a
depth gauge from a rock & some vine. He throws it in one place & decides to jump. Yeah
right, as if they didn't know before that this was clear of obstructions. We had to jump from
a board fifteen feet over the water & do what they called a spread eagle landing, if your head
went under, you failed. You needed to land slightly forward, with your arms & one leg slightly
behind you. As you hit the water you swing both arms forward at shoulder height & bring the
back leg forward in a sort of scissor kick & it really works. You can shallow jump from this height
& never have your head go under water. But why take the chance in such a situation, take the
time & find a safer way into the water. Now if we could make a splint out of those condoms. :thumbsup:

ahhh but you CAN make a splint from them! :wink: Just jimmyrig a few into an air splint...would work better with some duct tape I am sure. lol make sure the duct tape is in a ziploc bag though if you are going swimming! :tongue3:

OP
OP
M

MEinWV

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2007
West "by god" Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fishers CZ5 and 1280X
I am just now checking out a show about the Mayan's on the history channel. A flintnapper was making a spearpoint from a chunk of obsidian. They made the comment that the knife and fire were two of the most important tools the ancient civilizations had. That got me thinking about knives now. As with fire making skills, it will be important to at least have rudimentary skills in knife making. That being said, we need to have a working knowledge of the types of rocks in our area that would lend themselves to the making of a sufficient blade. If you look at a rock and mineral ID guide for your area, you can see the proper stones for flint knapping. They are the ones that have a conchoidal fracture(a cone shaped fracture). This is noted in the description of each rock.

You should always include several knives as part of your survival kit, as well as sharpening devices. You will need several styles of blades, for light to heavy duty chores, such as woodworking(making tools and shelter) and animal processing(skinning, tanning), and general cutting.

Good luck! Of course, if you have more ideas about the uses of condoms, by all means lets hear them. ;D

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
a plastic garbage bag makes a great "rain poncho" --- it can also be used in "layering" in a lean to shelter to "waterproof" the shelter. --- and to protect food from water damage, and bugs .--- a bit of trash like a glass bottle can be broken to make a knife blade. the bottom of some bottles have a convex shape (think possible magnafying glass )

OP
OP
M

MEinWV

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2007
West "by god" Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fishers CZ5 and 1280X
Cool! More great tips! Thanks ivan salis!

I like the idea of making a magnifier out of a bottle bottom. I am going to try that!

Here are a couple beer bottle bottom points I have made. Sharp little dandies they are! They can be hafted to a handle for a knife or to a shaft for an arrow.

Attachments

• beerpoint3.JPG
    beerpoint3.JPG
    19.4 KB · Views: 224
  • beerpopint2.JPG
    beerpopint2.JPG
    19.5 KB · Views: 230

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
That's a good point, MEinWV!

Got a time estimate on doing that with glass? Looks like it's be great fast fix for a spear point too.

lonesomebob

Jul 14, 2005
Napoleon MI 49201
Detector(s) used
Garrett
This urban jungle we live in needs survival tricks too. I can make a usable fire arm in a few minutes from a telescopeing antenna, propellant from matches and powder too, It will serve to get you something better. Bark from a river birch is great for firestarting, floor cleaning compound works well too. Water heaters have a big magnesium rod inside,you can do lots with that.A condum filled with gasoline will smoke out many things. Cats are edible and so are rats, Dogs too.Brainstorming like this is not only useful but good clean fun. Hatchets and axes make good missils,I suppose if one was to put all the neat things in a kit it would need wheels. Cloves work well on toothaches too. Bob

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
protein is protein ---meats meat. -- "long pork" is the cannibal nick name for other people in puapa new guiena .-- when things get bad enough you'ld be shocked and suprized to see what people will do to keep on living.

as a 27 year merchant seaman -- there are lots of old tales of folks stranded in lifeboats at sea with little food or water --or---stranded on some remote island far from help == doing the "unthinkible" to survive.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ah a "shank" --so named because a leg bone from a lamb is a "shank of lamb"--- you take the bone and split it long wize in two --the knoby part is the handle part --rub it on a hard surface to fashion a piont / sharp edge -- -

in the old days guys that worked in the prision kitchen would get these leg bones to make homemade shiv's with.

jimb

Feb 22, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do not know how we got from fire to fish, but, that fish sure was interesting! He even went fishing!

oldgoat

Oct 21, 2008
Texastee, tell dog not to worry so much, he doesn't look like he's big enough to eat...He might make a couple of burritos or an enchilada...
Tell your hubby the candle and matches idea works well...when I was younger I lived in the colder part of the country, NY, worked in the Adirondack Mountains in the wintertime, one of the first things we did at the beginning of each week would be to build a snow shelter...kept a supply of candles with each worker so they could go in and warm up during the day...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread