Primitive skills: Starting a fire without matches is empowering.

oldgoat

Oct 21, 2008
Another trick I learned from my granny...When the boys would go out and about, doing the things that boys do, alot of times we would come home with cuts, after they were cleaned out with lye soap, granny would take spiderweb and put on the cuts, it would pull the cut together and never leave a noticable scar and believe me some of the cuts deserved a scar...

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
good evening, another use for those flotation devices, is to cover the muzzle of your firearm to keep water & other junk out of it.

For non deep tissue cuts, epidermis, use dots of super glue to serve as sutures. medically approved, honest checked with my Oncologist.

As for a lack of femimine company ??????? Just stay away from my purty mule.

Don Jose de La Mancha

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
Real de Tayopa said:
good evening, another use for those flotation devices, is to cover the muzzle of your firearm to keep water & other junk out of it.

For non deep tissue cuts, epidermis, use dots of super glue to serve as sutures. medically approved, honest checked with my Oncologist.

As for a lack of femimine company ??????? Just stay away from my purty mule.

Don Jose de La Mancha
Just admiring beauty where I found it , Senior . Could you chastise someone for having good taste ?
A surgeon reattached my severed nose with a forerunner of these glues in 1954 . Many folks have proved it's durability over the years by failing to knock it back off with fists and clubs .

lonesomebob

Jul 14, 2005
Napoleon MI 49201
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Generic Super Glue; It helped quiet our neighborhood. A family with 6 kids moved in they all rode rice grinders ,day and night. They went around and around the lot,never went away from home. They took a break one day and I superglued the key slots with keys off! Took them a week to get them fixed, by then they had found the big field way down the road. Peace Quiet at last. Bob

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
T-Lady, next time I'm coming around your place for the fix and I'm sure you'll still leave me in stitches.

Got a pitchfork tyne through the big toe once, sprayed it clean through with a grden hose, poured some tequila on it, wrapped it up with a dirty sock and let it sit, was healed shut in one day and cleared up in a couple weeks.

oldgoat

Oct 21, 2008
Cynangyl, another good cure for ulcers is goat's milk...raised goats for a while and had some milkers in the group, some of the people that I worked with found out about it they would buy all the milk I could supply just for their ulcers....

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Real de Tayopa said:
LO batts I have been sleepless pondeing your post --->

"Them trojans are just too small, I carry ziplock freezer bags".

You just have to clarify so that I can go to sleep.

Don Jose de La Mancha
I require extra floatation because of stiffness in some joints and muscles. Ziplock freezer bags, with their extra large capacity allow for the necessary displacement to accommodate my needs. That and they are smooth, not ribbed so they counteract all opposed forces equally along all surfaces.

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HI Ernest: When my doggie had a hysterectomy due to a tumor, they used a running stitch in the epidermis ???, Naturally she soon chomped the threads and the stitching started to unravel opening her tummy up. So I merely made butterfly tapes and closed her up again. I had to remove them daily to clean her up, but she knew that I was tying to help and never made a fuss while pulling on her tummy hair. The scar was almost unnoticeable, but the muscle damage was visible.

Now of course, I would use the super glue tech.

Any of you gals about to have a hysterectomy? If so, Let Ernest and I work on you. We need the practice in case of an emergency.

Don Jose d e La Mancha

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Real de Tayopa said:
Lo Batt, shucks I am disappointed, I thought that you would have a lurid tale to tell. instead of practical, to the point data.

Don Jose de la Mancha

Nothing lurid, nothing learned, eh?

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
yes their most definely "related" items, real --- because wiith out the first there would be no "Genealogy" :wink: ;D

OP
OP
M

MEinWV

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2007
West "by god" Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fishers CZ5 and 1280X
OK, cold showers for all of you guys now!

I was just thinking that if we we had a "Primitive/Survival Skills" forum we could have separate posts for different subjects, such as...Shelter...Edible Plants...Medicinals...Firemaking...Trapping...etc.

That way we could get into more details and ideas, while being easier to keep track of subjects.

I guess we could even have a lurid details section too. :o :wink: ;D

Good luck!

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Hang in there Earnest, we are thinking about starting a Primitive Immigration Skills thread also!

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Indians around this part of the country built their bows from Bois de' arc or Hedge Apple trees or Osage Orange trees. They're all the same tree but Bois d' arc, prononuced bodark is the real name of the tree. A few used cedar but Bois de' arc is preferred. They are native to the southwest. Monty

OP
OP
M

MEinWV

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2007
West "by god" Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fishers CZ5 and 1280X
Monty, I have been told there are some of the Osage trees around here, but I think I will try Hickory, as there is an abundance here. I wonder if the bow style lends itself to a certain type of wood? I have heard about the Hickory flatbows that the native people used also. It seems to me that the Osage tree would be the best for most bow types however.

Do any of you make our own bows?

Good luck in the primitive life that is on its way!......

Back to the future......be prepared!

OP
OP
M

MEinWV

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2007
West "by god" Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fishers CZ5 and 1280X
Thank you texastee! I watched that video the first time around, and I guess I had a brainfart. I went back and watched it again and this time it sunk in.

I think I am going to try making a hickory flatbow first.

Oh, I just talked to a guy today that wants me to help him make a couple of Atlatl's. That should be fun! I made one years ago and it worked pretty good but I never used it long enough to get good at it. I just hope the government doesn't decide to put code numbers on all of our arrows! :icon_scratch: ;D

Good luck to all!

Tomas Frijole

Jan 6, 2009
west branch
Detector(s) used
ace
45-70Ranger said:
Tomas Frijole said:
Don't underestimate us Hippies!

I was digging today through boxes I stored in the old outhouse in the 70's and found a brass solar lighter I had forgotten about. It looks like a 3 inch satilite dish, put tinder in the tip and point it towards the sun and the tinder ignites in about 10 seconds. Anyone remember these?

If not it is because they sold as solar joint lighters in head shops in the 60's and 70's.
Oh lord !
I think I had one of those...
Didn't the tip fold ?

Yep it did, still waiting for the camera, nephew borrowed it and now his phone is dicsonected!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread