Private Yard Yeilds Big Unique Silver

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Hi everyone, Met up with my Dad early this mourning.

My sister just moved into a new house. She is renting it but she said I could hunt the yard.

I looked the house up and it was built in 1923. I said to myself it's worth a shot.

I got there and looked the place over. The yard was huge. Probably close to a acre of land.

I started and realized alot of the soil was unnatural. Looked like a pool was in the yard at one time. There was a perfect area leveled out for one.

I guess when they put it in they threw the dirt that came out all over most of the yard.

I didn't get discouraged and just kept hunting. I was looking for some better black top soil.

Well after about 45 minutes one wheat I get a really nice silver hit at about 5 inches. I dug down and before I could lift the plug the medallion you see was on the leche compacted with dirt.

I knew instantly it was silver and old.

I didn't play with it much. I got a few woe's out of everyone and they quickly became believers.

When I got home I thought to myself what a awesome piece of silver. I would much rather have this than a few common mercs.

I don't know anything about this piece.

It is large like a silver half. It looks like it had a reeded edge. Like it could have been made from a coin.

It has neat Indian type designs on the front. I'm guessing a stone was in the middle at one point.

The back says FOP Phoenix 1940.

Is this a piece hand made by someone or a madallion given away. I thought fraternal order of police maybe.

But it seems like a piece of Indian jewelry.

Any thoughts or ideas as what it may be would be appreciated alot.

Thanks for looking,

HH Jer

Attachments

• 1940 phoenix.jpg
    1940 phoenix.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 669
  • 1940 phoenix backside.jpg
    1940 phoenix backside.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 668
Upvote 0
WTG!

Awesome find. You should go back to that spot, dig all the loose dirt outta the hole (and then some), carry it over to a hose, put it on a fine mesh screen, and sift through all of it, to see if you can find the missing stone!

Very Nice,,,Pre WWII

That's an excellent find! It turns out that the 1940 confernce was the 25th anniversary of the FOP, maybe that's why the it's such a nice one!

Here's a good link: http://www.idahofop.com/history.htm

Here's a quote: "By the time the Twenty-Fifth Anniversary of the FOP took place in 1940,

a Grand Lodge had come into existence, approximately 200 lodges had been chartered,

and twenty-three annual conventions held."

Congrats on an awesome find!

Very nice, and interesting piece, WTG!!!
Definitely looks to stamped by hand...
Good luck, & Happy hunting~

Beautiful Jeremy!! :o

;)

Thanks for the nice comments everyone.

I didn't really even scratch the surface of her yard.

I never made it to the front yard. I basically concentrated on a 10 by 50 ft strip of grass at the beginning of the yard.

I also was doing some cherry picking to. I left behind alot of good gold and smaller relic type of hits.

The ground was getting hard and I didn't want to shred up there yard real bad. They were a little concerned but after they saw how neat I was they were o.k.

I didn't pull the dirt out of the hole were the pendant came from.

It is very possible that it could be in there. Those stones love to pop out from the hot and cold thaws under ground.

I also thought it was hand stamped. It's to crooked.

I am wondering still also TKid. Seems like a Indian piece of jewelry made for a member of the fop.

Unless it was made in phoenix 1940 and those are the makers initials or the owners initials.

If I can't recover the stone maybe I'll get one put in it. It would make it that much nicer.

Don't think I'll find another one of these.

Thanks again,

Jeremy

Another member touched on this but you may not have picked up on it . It looks like this was a coin that was hand filed flat on both sides and then decorated . The symbol on the left is the sun , on the right is the moon . above is the thunderbird ( big medicine ) and the crossed arrows is beyond me . I would say this was hand crafted by an American Indian from a US coin . You might check the diameter against a half dollar . Someone in Phoenix might know who the maker was . You might also look at the abstract for the house for the name of a retired police officer . Intriguing find .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back