Prizm Series...How Good?

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a MXT Pro w/Eclipse 950 & a Coinmaster Pro w/9" Spider. Both are used mainly for coin & jewelry hunting.
Air testing the two there is a substantial difference. 2-4" depending on the coin. 2" on quarters & 4" on other coins. When I put the 5.3 on the MXT & the 4x6dd on the CMP I seem to lose about the same depth so the difference stays the same.

Getting past the depth part, The MXTP is a bit heavier than I'd like and I'm not a huge fan of all the chips & chirps but the noise doesn't bother me too bad.
The CMP feels a bit flimsy and doesn't seem to discriminate very well.

How do the 5G & 6T compare? Coil selection seems a little light.

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hay there fella

and the answer to your question is this if you didn't all ready look them up...the, 5 G you can ground balance which makes it better than prizm 5 I think same bells and whistle other than ground balancing on the other hand the 6 T give's you v.d.i but with automatic ground balance and a little bit better iron discrimination than prizm 5 or prizm 950 and the batteries are located under the arm on the 6T not in the face plate housing that you said felt flimsy on the CMP.

OP
OP
fella

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Has the Prizm series been discontinued?

Phanntom

Oct 21, 2012
Retired and traveling
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000di Pro SL
Whites Goldmaster II vSat
Whites Prizim 6T
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went from a 6000di Pro SL, to the Prizim 6T. I had to make the switch, very reluctantly because my shoulder would no longer handle the weight. As far as I was concerned the 6000 was the best detector made. When I began my search it was for performance as close to the 6000 as I could get with less weight and not something I'd need a mortgage to buy. Before heading to the dealer I checked comments on every board I could find about the 6T. Finally satisfied I was in the ballpark I went to the dealer to check it out in the flesh.

He felt it wouldn't handle heavily mineralized soil as well as my 6000, but felt that might be the only drawback. He also questioned whether it would go as deep. After using mine for 6 months now...I don't really see any difference between the two except weight. It's taken me some time to get used to it naturally, but it seems to go as deep, the descrimination is good, and the autotrac does a good job with keeping up with the ground nuances. Lately, since I've gotten used to it, I'm running it with the sensitivity maxed out. I haven't tried any other coils but the 9" it came with...so far haven't needed anything different.

As to being discontinued. I guess technically it has. It no longer shows up in their catalog or on their website, but I think they've just incorporated it into the CM series. I did a spec comparison with the top CM and it's virtually the same as the 6T specs...the only difference seems to be the burgandy color, which I can do without. I prefer the very dark brown of the 6T but that's just a subjective preference.

I can't compare it to your specific models because I've never used either....I can only say, that for the money, the weight and performance I'm very pleased with.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread