Probe question

oneeye

Aug 16, 2008
Michigan's Left Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites 6000 Di Pro, Garret Grand Master Hunter, Tesoro Tejon, Fisher 1265X
Been away from detecting for about a year. I am using my White's MXT and love it so far. To my question, what are you guys using for a probe? I dug out my old awl, but I scratched one of the wheat pennies I found in my front yard tonight. Luckily it was just a wheatie, but it could have been something more valuable >:(

Maybe I am just rusty, but I am a little gun shy. BTW, found 3 Wheaties and a Mercury in my front yard tonight :icon_sunny:
Dan

FCCDFEd

Sep 29, 2007
Terra Bella, Ca.
Detector(s) used
DFX, IDXPro, MXT, Lobo St., At Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dont use a probe for that reason.

HH
Fccdfed

OP
OP
oneeye

oneeye

Aug 16, 2008
Michigan's Left Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites 6000 Di Pro, Garret Grand Master Hunter, Tesoro Tejon, Fisher 1265X
FCCDFEd said:
I dont use a probe for that reason.

HH
Fccdfed
Do you just cut plugs when hunting on a lawn?
Dan

Slipperyjack47

Apr 5, 2008
Solon Springs Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Procoil and SEF coils Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Hey Oneeye, I am a machinist so I made one myself out of brass, but I never use it as I am still afraid of scratching a great coin. I always dig a plug, if I am in a touchy yard I either wait till Fall or Spring to hit it and then I try to dig the plug in a "C" pattern leaving a small bit of sod attached as that helps it not turn yellow and die. This trick will leave the sod in better condition and you won't have to worry about harming a coin.

HH
Slipperyjack47

OP
OP
oneeye

oneeye

Aug 16, 2008
Michigan's Left Coast
Detector(s) used
Slipperyjack47 said:
Hey Oneeye, I am a machinist so I made one myself out of brass, but I never use it as I am still afraid of scratching a great coin. I always dig a plug, if I am in a touchy yard I either wait till Fall or Spring to hit it and then I try to dig the plug in a "C" pattern leaving a small bit of sod attached as that helps it not turn yellow and die. This trick will leave the sod in better condition and you won't have to worry about harming a coin.

HH
Slipperyjack47
My dad is a retired machinist and he made me one out of brass, but I haven't used it yet. Thanks for the suggestion on the plug. I have a really good quarter reading in my front lawn that I will try that on.
Dan

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions