Probes and Pointers - Help a newbie please?

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The best thing they will do is save you lots of time. I didn't have one at first and spent a lot of time searching through dirt I had removed or widening the hole and finding things around the edge. I wouldn't want to be without one now. Monty

OP
OP
S

sbrowncpr

Thanks Monty. Anyone know if this one is good to buy? It is on sale at Kellyco

Automax Precision V4 Pinpointer
List $140.00 - Sale $79.95

Will_detect4food

May 2, 2006
Gold Coast
the v4 is only good to about an inch in depth, and only the tip is waterproof
but then they are all simlar some have slightly different specs
you should look at all before you buy...

79 bucks is a good price

neilo

Aug 23, 2005
A big advantage of having a good probe is being able to locate and retreive your target in manicured lawns and doing the least damage to the grass.I have a sunray probe fited to my explorer2 I am able to narrow the target down to an area 1/2 inch square and simply pluck the coin out with a metal screwdriver or grip it with a pair of long nosed pliers. Leaving a hole about the diameter of your finger, which I step on afterwards and you wouldnt know I have been there.I would recommend the sunray probe because it uses your detectors circuitry and discrimination, so it can discriminate the good targets from junk. The probe itself has a depth range of about 4inches so if you get a signal and you go down with the probe and it doesnt register a target you know straight away it is a deep target. I tend to leave any target in the ground if they are deep especially in parks and lawned areas where doing damage could finish up in detector operators being banned from the area altogether.
there are bound to be feild tests of probes on the internet try the sunray site. good luck seeya Neilo ;D

OP
OP
S

sbrowncpr

Thanks for the info Neilo. I just looked up the info on the Sun Ray Invader YF - 1. That is the model that fits my ACE 250. So how exactly does this work? It says you attach it to your detector and it uses the existing circuitry? Do you actually use a probe or does it just make your detector pinpoint with more accuracy? The price onthis is around $169.00. Is it worth buying?

Mighty AP

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2006
Livin' in a tar-paper shack in the woods of Easter
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, Whites QXT, Garrett Pro-Pointer, "Mighty" Diggin' Tool
I beliieve the probe attaches to your rod above the coil. The probe has a wire going to your box so when the probe sounds off you hear it through your headphones. After you dig your hole the probe unattaches from the rod to be placed into the hole, after you find your coin (or pulltab in my case) you snap the probe back onto the rod & go on to the next pulltab. Yes, I beleive it is an actual probe that can be stuck into the hole, it just uses your detectors speakers or headphone circuitry. Never used one but hear good things bout them, hope this helps.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread