Problems pin pointing with the Ace 250 ??

OP
OP
papa

papa

Sep 21, 2006
Hey Sandman, Thanks guy.You may have saved what's left of my hair.
The site is just what I was looking for,I'll give it another shot.
Thanks.

khouse

Dec 6, 2006
Papa,
Using the demo on the Garrett site may not be accurate. It's halfway correct. What you want to do is detune the target. Then slowly swing left to right and find the center. Then while the coil is centered pull the coil toward you. When you hear the tone go silent THAT'S when the target is under the front inner coil. This works for all targets down to about 3 inches. If it's a deeper target then it will be back to you about 1 inch.

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250
This is a copy and paste from a previous post. I have written in other posts about PP'ing with the 250.

My advice in learning to PP with the 250 is simple, first, forget about the PP'er altogether. Try to get as precise an idea of where the object/coin is just by sweeping the coil over. Keep in mind that the machine rings off not in the center, but the outer coils. (Papa, do check the link they gave you for a visual on how that works). This would apply even more for a 150 without the PP. Believe it or not, if you get good at this method, you can PP with relative accuracy on that alone. Once that is put into practice, start getting good on the PP'er. My absolute advise for PP'ing with the 250 is do not even try looking at the screens bars. You will loose yourself. Do not even try to concentrate on a certain spot on the coil. Simply focus on the center of the coil and where it sounds the loudest as you pass it over the target. Although standard to change the X angle by sweeping forward and backward, I strongly advise against it and instead recommend you turn your body 90 degrees at give it another sweep. Don't aim for accuracy......be rough in sweeping that coil while you press that PP button. You're simply declaring the center of your coil the absolute center and taking the loudest sound and where that target is. With practice, you'll develop more finesse. Listen, the advise me or anyone here can give you does not make up for actual hands on practice, so get out there and put some hours into learning your machine. It's no science and you will pick up your coil's behavior.

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS
Sandman thanks for that link, I can't wait to try the front of the coil for the iron objects.

Thanks for reposting the advice it is a big help. Were you the one that also said to wiggle your coil back and forth until the signal dissapeared and the target would be at the tip of the coil? That helped me allot.

Now......I get the target in the center of the coil, do the wiggle thing, same place, pin point, same place. Nothing there? I have a vibra probe pinpointer, still can't locate the target. Could it be it's just that deep, I'm down a good 8" with a 5" hole. The signal is strong.

Thanks for the post Papa, maybe these folks here can help us figure the machine out together. Thanks folks!

khouse

Dec 6, 2006
Countygirl,
Detuning will shrink the target and make pinpointing that much accurate.
First get a beep.
Then push the pinpoint button and quickly get a rough idea of the center of the target.
Then move the coil just off the target no more than an inch.
Release and quickly re push the pinpoint button and immediately move the coil over the target.
You will now hear that the target it smaller.
Sometimes you have to re push the pinpoint button a couple of times to detune the target.
Then while still holding the pinpoint button down find the center left and right.
Then pull the coil towards you slowly until the tone goes away.
Your target is right under the front inner coil.

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS
Alright that makes sense, I'll give it a try, thanks for the help. I will let you know how it goes.

Can I ask a question on sensitivity? Some say run it on 4 notches, some say full. I think the area's I'm hunting have some deep targets. If I run the sensitivity lower will I be missing the good stuff?

Thanks again!

khouse

Dec 6, 2006
I run as much sensitivity as I can for each site. All you have to do is keep bumping the sens up until you start getting beeps at the end of your swings or during your swing. Or your display goes a little crazy. If you don't know what I mean then crank the sens all the way up and see how it acts compared to half sens. Once you have found the sens level that your detector runs unstable then back it down one bar. Since you'll be running the detector right under the level where it was unstable you might go over some areas where it's erratic and have to reduce the sens once again. Running the sens at 4 bars really keeps you from fiddling around with the sens. After a while you'll get to know false and good signals and know when to bump the sens up or down as you hunt.
You can miss targets by running the sens too high thinking it's a false signal or even picking up deeper trash under a good target. That's why the 250 is so easy. The controls are quick to adjust. But running a low sens can make you miss a deeper target also. I have found in wet grass I get more falsing and have to reduce the sens.

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS
That makes allot of sense. I find the machine goes bonkers after a rain on full sens. and I lower it to 4 bars. I'm going to have to play around with that too. You should write an owners manula for the Ace, your much more informative then there manual. We really appreciate the help. I'll be out practicing tomarrow, I'll let you know. Thank you!

khouse

Dec 6, 2006
The 250 CD says to hunt in the all metal mode for the first 100 hours. I don't agree with that. Starting out you should be in the coin mode, then jewelry, then all metal. I know that Garrett knows about all the tricks but would confuse a new person by adding them to the manual.

khouse

Dec 6, 2006
I would like to say that the pinpointing tips are for most all detectors and brands. The reason it's easier to pinpoint the target under the front edge of the inner coil on the stock and larger 250 coil is that it is eliptical. The sniper pinpoints dead center because it's concentric (round) And other detectors can detune a target and pinpoint in the center of the coil if the coil is round. When you detune a target using the sniper 4.5 inch coil the target gets really small.

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS
khouse said:
I would like to say that the pinpointing tips are for most all detectors and brands. The reason it's easier to pinpoint the target under the front edge of the inner coil on the stock and larger 250 coil is that it is eliptical. The sniper pinpoints dead center because it's concentric (round) And other detectors can detune a target and pinpoint in the center of the coil if the coil is round. When you detune a target using the sniper 4.5 inch coil the target gets really small.

Ahhhh haaaa that explains why the discovery is easier to pinpoint with, or what I'm used to pinpointing with, the coil is round on that one, now it's all making sense. Thanks for that other link, I really enjoyed the read!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread