Apr 24, 2008
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

azlegends

Jul 13, 2011
Im a little confused about who your reffering to. I know about a dozen organizations called ARA, but none of them have to do with coins.

OP
OP
SnakemanBill

SnakemanBill

Apr 24, 2008
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes I was referring to American recycling Associates. I thought ARA was a well used acronym here at T net.

legend76

May 17, 2010
Tennessee
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SnakemanBill said:
Yes I was referring to American recycling Associates. I thought ARA was a well used acronym here at T net.
It probably is, but I'm usually just on the CRH page. I've never dealt with them. :thumbsup:

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SnakemanBill said:

It is, for us OLD folks and no I have never had a problem with them. They bend over backwards to do what you want.

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
I'm with cyberdan, been dealing with them for a while with no major problems. I do test & weigh every item & never send gold & silver together. I have had a couple batches of silver that came back 1-2% off what I thought they should, but not enough to concern me.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive sent gold to them 4 times. One time I got 98%, the other 3 times I got about 90%. They have my gold for a week everytime and I always get paid the lowest price gold was that week. Its far better than I can get anywhere else, so I dont complain. I just figure my gold at 90% now to keep from being disappointed.

oldgold

Oct 16, 2003
Arkansas-USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI-2500/ACE 250-Pro-Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a problem with them one time. I had a small amount of gold in a seprate baggy and I didn't get paid for it.
I guess someone there had"sticky fingers" and since I didn't list the gold in my letter, they claimed it wasn't there.
I will be more careful next time.

njnydigger

Jun 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
I've swung White's (MXT), Minelab (Safari) & currently run with an Omega 8000 by Teknetics & Fisher CZ-3D (1021 Model)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
By FAR, the folks over at ARA are the best. After doing a ton of research, getting many referrals & reading countless posts, I settled on them. I got roughly 96% of spot :thumbsup:

Here's a little tip :sign13: I sent my batch of gold return receipt through the U.S.P.S. I'd advise anyone else to do the same. On the day that the shipment is confirmed delivered, keep an eye on the price of gold. ARA gives you the option of 'locking in' your batch whenever you wish. So, as long as you know the EXACT weight of your gold, call them up anytime to lock in the price. They MUST pay you 98% as this is what they advertise. Again though, depends what the price of yellow is when you lock it in. B-U-T...

All gold - with the exception of pure 24k - is usually mixed with other metals to increase the strength of the gold itself. The lower the kt. the more 'other' metal is mixed in. ARA does NOT pay for this material...only the gold itself. Here's a little blurb I copied directly from their website;

"Q. How do we survive on 2% profit?

A. Low overhead, and we are a family-owned business that is not in it to get rich; instead, we do this for the joy of working for ourselves and with family, doing what we love and with pride for our company.

A. All Karated Gold contains some silver in the alloy; therefore, we do NOT pay on silver in Karat Gold Material.

A. Resale of Gold"

Clearly stated in answer (2). So, while they claim 98% of spot, one must allow for this added charge on anything other than 24k.

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Florida- Somewhere in the middle
Detector(s) used
MXT 300/Excal II/Surf Dual Field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also have had some issues, but still think they are better than most others I know of. Last batch I sent in was WAY short of my calculations, last time I send in an order without a printed list with weight/karat, as well as a picture of each item. I also suspected sticky fingers as a couple rings sent in were gorgeous.
I called and as I already knew, not all karat stamps are accurate, but the difference would have suggested fake or plated material, and I KNOW that was not the case. The two pieces that were GF'd were not even calculated in.
I have sent in 4 batches, not one has been close to my estimate, and the first time I sent in a fake gold chain that ended up being plated silver, I got no money for it..
But they still beat any pawn broker or buy-your-gold outlet... Just make sure and document every piece you send in..

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Silver Surfer - how off are we talkin' here?

If you don't feel like answering that's cool. It's just that I am getting ready to send these guys some gold and silver and I have been trying to do my research.

I sent some stuff to Midwest once. Some rings with no stones. I was expecting $750 back and I got $700.

Anyway, I am going to try these guys and I'll let everyone know how it goes. I don't want to hear the "Karat Purities were off" excuse from these guys either, as the Scrap Calculator I use calculates all karat values based on a 1/2 karat under plumb (plumb = exact) to begin with. I'm basing my entire scrap estimate @ .5 Karat under and I always do.

EX: 14K = 13.5K

Here is a link to the scrap calculator I use:

http://www.midstatesrecycling.com/karat_kalc

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
I use an electronic gold tester that I assume is accurate. I have had karat gold test 2 karat less than marked many times. I don't get the tester out until I have accumulated several items to test. In almost every batch I end up with one(or more) item that tests at least 1 karat under what it's marked.

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Florida- Somewhere in the middle
Detector(s) used
MXT 300/Excal II/Surf Dual Field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sent you a PM Hombre, but should answer here... I totaled all my gold to be sent in, didn't add in the gold filled necklace, bracelet, or earring hoops, and if the k stamps were 100% accurate, should have had 1.58 Troy oz of pure gold returned to me... I got .82 Troy oz 24k gold returned to me... That is too big a spread even if everything was 2 under actual karat stamp, IMHO.... Stuff that wasn't obviously top of the line jewelry (nice, plain old wedding bands) was acid tested, and as close as acid testing coul be, still was all right on as far as karat goes...
Next time, every piece will reweighed, photographed, and documented (as I do, but didn't send copy to them with the gold), then they can see/do the math themselves and see if something smells funny....
I have also been toying with the idea of smashing, or melting any jewelry I send in, just to make sure no pieces tempt someone. I had several really nice pieces in there that was nice enough jewelry for me to want to keep for myself, but need the money...
Cover all bases possible would bethebest advice I could give..

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
trdhrdr007 said:
I use an electronic gold tester that I assume is accurate. I have had karat gold test 2 karat less than marked many times. I don't get the tester out until I have accumulated several items to test. In almost every batch I end up with one(or more) item that tests at least 1 karat under what it's marked.
That would explain the difference.

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
I totaled all my gold to be sent in, didn't add in the gold filled necklace, bracelet, or earring hoops, and if the k stamps were 100% accurate, should have had 1.58 Troy oz of pure gold returned to me... I got .82 Troy oz 24k gold returned to me... That is too big a spread even if everything was 2 under actual karat stamp, IMHO

If that happened to me I'd be cheesed off too....& I'd be looking for somewhere else to send my items. ARA is the third refiner I've used in the last couple years. I ended up with ARA because one refiner I used underpaid & the other took too long to process shipments. I've sent 15 or more batches to them this year ranging in value from $1000-$3000 without any major problems.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread