Problems with Mr Bills modded Classic ID

SilverFinger

Apr 17, 2008
Woodstock, Georgia
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, Eagle Spectrum, Treasuremaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just received my Classic ID with Mr Bills mods. It's super clean, and the mods themselves appear to functioning correctly.

I do a GB in all-metal mode, then switch to DISC mode by releasing the pinpoint trigger or clicking back into the center (DISC) position.

Regardless of where I have the DISC control set, it picks EVERYTHING up. Small foil, iron, etc. This is both in the air and actual use. I can crank the DISC to max, wave a piece of small foil in front of the coil and it rings like a bell.

Again, this is with the trigger set to center position

Does anyone know if there is someone who can service this as I'd really like to keep it, but the expense of having it repaired scares me. Not to mention the time without it.

I have somewhat of a level of PCB repair, so if anyone has any suggestions as to component level replacment, I MIGHT attempt it. Might.

Tom Slick

Jul 21, 2012
Mesa AZ
Detector(s) used
XP Deus & Deus II, Makro Multi Kruzer, White's DFX w/18" Arrow Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Repairs done at the factory are not usually expensive. I'm not sure they will repair it after being modified. Best to give them a call and ask.

cadman20

Aug 4, 2010
Might open the box and make sure the wires to the disc potentiometer are still soldered on or not broken. They are a thin gage wire and I have had one break at the solder joint on the potentiometer.

OP
OP
SilverFinger

SilverFinger

Apr 17, 2008
Woodstock, Georgia
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, Eagle Spectrum, Treasuremaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks. You must be tuned into my frequency. I just closed it back up after checking the solder connections at the DISC pot. All appear good. Also tested the pot. Checked out too. Apparently a 100k ohm pot. Check at the wiper and end connection vary from 0 to 100k when turned. I am REALLY frustrated and disappointed. This detector is clean as a whistle. I bought it off eBay. I assume the guy knew there was problems but didn't disclose. I can't prove it. Now I have to open a case, etc. as he didn't accept returns.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread