Problems with transmit boost?

Capt. Destructo

Tenderfoot
Apr 24, 2010
Bellingham Wa
Detector(s) used
XLT
Hi All

Being a new boot to detecting, Ive vacuumed up what I can about the xlt. Starting with the pre set programs, ive had pretty good luck. Cant seem to miss a coin at under four inches. Like many others I just wonder what all is underneath that. I have yet to find a coin at any depth with the preset program, or any program for that matter. So I started fiddling with the settings and making a custom program. One of the first things noticed is that with the transmit boost on there is little leeway to adjust without becoming unstable. Having watched Whites' videos, the old timer suggested that boost on was sometimes akin to driving with hi beams in the fog. A DC reading suggests that the ground mineralization is at about 94.5. Seems to make sense as with boost off there is some room to play with the settings. With boost off and the AC, DC, and PAG is adjusted up to instability then backed down a bit, my XLT acts like I believe it should. In the factory preset programs, a lot of signals, don't ring true reliably, or don't quite jive with the scale on the box. Silver coins and rings don't quite make it to +70's consistently, seems to be about a 10 VDI # spread with coins on the ground. This makes it difficult to ID trash from treasure. In one particular park here is how my detector is set.

Audio Disc Off
Mixed mode On
AC sens 71
DC sens 37
Ratchet Off
Sat 5
Tone ID On
VCO On
Mod Off
Auto trac On
Trac view On
Atrac speed 7
Atrac offset +1
Trac inhib On
Discrimination Accept -60 to +95
Recovery spe 20
Bottlecap rej 1
Visual disc Off
Icons Off
VDI sens 88
DC phase On
Graph avg On
Graph acc On
Fade 10
Boost OFF
Pre amp gain 8

This seems to mimic factory preset depths achieved in the same park as I can follow the park irrigation with ease at 6 to 10+ inches and the city watermain at who knows how deep. My boots ring at+ 59 religiously, quarter 89 , dimes 70, penny 67-69 , silver ring 78 all with a strong solid graph and little fluctuation. Haven't found anything truly deep yet maybe because there's nothing to find, maybe don't know what I am doing.

My questions are:
Without the boost is depth lost?

Do VDI#s degrade or become inaccutate with depth? or is that a function of conflicting electromagnetic fields?
Are the VDI#'s artificially stable due to settings?

How exactly does the DC phase determine depth, how accurate is it and what settings affect its accuracy?

Is it typical for AC phase to not be able to Id a target detected with DC all metal mode at limits (12"+)?

With the DC phase so high is there anything to do to improve pinpointing ability as its squirrly sometimes?

Are there any specific techniques to pick apart multiple signals in the same area?

Am I asking too much out of my XLT?

Anything anyone has say will be appreciated.

Thanks alot

Capt. Destructo

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread