Processing Black Sands

SchoolOfHardRocks

Apr 30, 2014
Gone, With the Wind
Primary Interest:
Other
I've heard that prospector's "would be surprised, & never discard black sands again if they knew how much gold is in it"...Well, with my 2nd season coming to a close I think I have stock piled enough to think about processing it.

I have about 2 gallons of black sands and am wondering, what's the most efficient way to process it? I've heard about the crushing method & the heat & freeze method...but what is the best way? Are there other ways??

My plan is to document this process from beginning to end on this thread once I have determined which processing method will work best for me..who knows :dontknow: someone else may benefit from seeing my trial and error with black sands. Plus it will keep me busy while I'm patiently waiting for spring:unhappysmiley:

Upvote 0

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Way ahead of ya. I know better to even ask! So I need to see my gf @ the second hand store for a printer and go small scale to start.

You can get em for free. Just post on Craig's list that you want an old broken printer and will pick it up. Surprising how many people have them sitting around and haven't put them in the trash. I got 4 in 24 hours within a mile or so of my house when I posted!

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor and Galice Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can get em for free. Just post on Craig's list that you want an old broken printer and will pick it up. Surprising how many people have them sitting around and haven't put them in the trash. I got 4 in 24 hours within a mile or so of my house when I posted!

Any printer work? I have 1 or 2 laying around.

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ok so yeah Oregon Viking...I'll be in Brookings in about 10 days for DQ and dog food or you can pm me with your demands in the mean time. :thumbsup:.

I don't mean to be a smart ass (can't help it) but...Is our dog food better then the CC dog food?:icon_scratch::laughing7:
And I'm getting you would like a printer?
The one I'am currently using just bit the dust!:BangHead:

Last edited:

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Let me check with my printer expert...Kevin, got your ears on?

looks like I got a case of the lags...please hold while I catch the :censored: up! :BangHead:

LoL...yup, pretty much any printer! Just start removing plastic parts until you are down to the paper handling carriage attached a base. You can use the existing electric motor, gearing and even power supply. I cooked the motor on my first one so I harvested a fan from a dead microwave to use as a cooling fan.

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LoL...yup, pretty much any printer! Just start removing plastic parts until you are down to the paper handling carriage attached a base. You can use the existing electric motor, gearing and even power supply. I cooked the motor on my first one so I harvested a fan from a dead microwave to use as a cooling fan.

So.....Is there a "preferred" printer? One that just stands out? Higher amperage motor, larger capacity etc.... I used to grab them for a couple of bucks at garage sales, they usually had problems.(duh, couple bucks) Until my wife said....Well I can't repeat that here, but I quit buying them.
I'm forbidden to go near the free pile at garage sales :laughing7:

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
I'd imagine that if for some reason you wanted a version of it for the field you could raid the local auto bone yard and snag a windshield wiper motor. You'd even have multiple speeds if you grabbed the right parts. For home use power it with a battery charger.

EDIT: you might want to forgo the controls with the delay setting.

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dropped a printer on my foot....lookin' for the motor amps....
This printer was over 200 bucks in 2007!!
I will disassemble this **&%^%$#@ and see whats actually inside.....dried ink, paper jam....
HEH!!

To stay on topic......You can't see the "glints" in this stuff (gold, platinum) I need a filter for my camera.
I would like to send some of this to people that can "test" it with their choice of gear.

DSCN8158.JPG

Last edited:

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Put me down for about 2 cups worth there Oregon. If you do mail samples out for testing, send it "Media Mail" as that will cost you a lot less. Let me know and I'll send you my mailing address in a PM. It would be interesting to check out some samples from that part of the country under the scope both before and after.

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's MXT, and White's Eagle Spectrum
Cleangold sluice & prospectors pan, EZ-Gold Pan, and custom cleanup sluice.
Primary Interest:
Other
GI.
Here are some photomicrographs of some of our beach gold .. and a few other areas as well.
cleangold photomicrographs

This is also the system I use on our beaches here.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
I dropped a printer on my foot....lookin' for the motor amps....
This printer was over 200 bucks in 2007!!
I will disassemble this **&%^%$#@ and see whats actually inside.....dried ink, paper jam....
HEH!!

To stay on topic......You can't see the "glints" in this stuff (gold, platinum) I need a filter for my camera.
I would like to send some of this to people that can "test" it with their choice of gear.

View attachment 1238454

I would also like some of that material. Id GLADLY pay shipping(or??) to my address !! PM me and ill send you my mailing address if you have any left for a begger like me!:)

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Make Russ a priority for sure since he has a hard time getting his own cons these days and has a boatload of experience and knowledge!

...after that, I'd love some to mess with. I'll give a step by step of what I do and how it turns out with pics along the way. PM coming with address :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread