Progress report

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
I’m pressure flaking scrap pieces of flint for practice. Getting better at alternating sides and grinding. Starting to see zig-zag patterns on edges. The piece in the photo is far from finished. The upper right edge hasn’t been worked at all yet.
Not to get too philosophical, but it humbles me to think of ancient ancestors relying on this art for survival. Their work was done with very rudimentary stone tools. They left a great legacy. Thanks for viewing. PS. I’m not showing this because I think I did a great job, but rather to show that it’s a progressive learning process. 👍🏼

Attachments

• IMG_2353.jpeg
    IMG_2353.jpeg
    393.5 KB · Views: 9

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I’m pressure flaking scrap pieces of flint for practice. Getting better at alternating sides and grinding. Starting to see zig-zag patterns on edges. The piece in the photo is far from finished. The upper right edge hasn’t been worked at all yet.
Not to get too philosophical, but it humbles me to think of ancient ancestors relying on this art for survival. Their work was done with very rudimentary stone tools. They left a great legacy. Thanks for viewing. PS. I’m not showing this because I think I did a great job, but rather to show that it’s a progressive learning process. 👍🏼
Well done on your practicing the art of knapping.

I often wonder how many tries (hours, days, weeks or even years) it really took to perfect the art in the times when one's survival was so important.

Young boy watching the elders knapping and they just started at a young age growing organically.

Then the thought of a pile of stones/rocks a long winter, fire burning keeping them reasonably warm.
Nothing else to do except perfect the skills.

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I learned pressure flaking first. I used glass and flakes left by Indians, which were fairly easy to find. Learning percussion was much more difficult. You have to find a creek with good size pieces of at least medium quality available to start with. That’s no easy task for most. You have to destroy several hundred lbs of rock before the light bulb comes on and you figure it out. Knapping stone is expensive to buy just to destroy learning. Watching an experienced knapper work is definitely a big help.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread