Prooflike non-proof Nickel

ShinyPackRat

Oct 11, 2017
Montana, edge of nowhere
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not even sure how to properly phrase this question, so I'll just spew words.

To preface, yes I know modern proof nickels have an S mint mark. I also know my pictures aren't the best; I can try to take better ones if you'd like, but I don't know how much better they'll get.
I found this little fellow today in my nickel boxes and from the second it fell out of the roll (reverse first) I went 'well, that'll be a proof'. Flip it over, and there's not the expected S, but a D. This coin is extremely reflective, much moreso than any circulation strike modern 2018-2019 nickel I've seen. Even in darkness it's reflective. On the other hand, on closer inspection, it doesn't appear to have quite the right 'color' difference between foreground and background that I see on most of my other modern proof nickels. So I'm not sure what I have here. Most likely a normal coin that I'm dramatically overthinking.

S20191125_0002.jpg S20191125_0003.jpg S20191125_0008.jpg S20191125_0009.jpg

Any thoughts? Perhaps polished, or a better-than-average strike quality? Is there any chance this is a proof coin with the wrong mint mark attached?

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A normal business strike but well struck. It may be from a very early die state before they became worn.

OP
OP
S

ShinyPackRat

Oct 11, 2017
Montana, edge of nowhere
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea, the more I looked at it the more I had been leaning that direction too. Shame it has so many little nicks and scratches.

Somewhat related secondary question, is there a reliable way to identify pre-1975 proofs once they've been in circulation for a while? I usually just go by the S mint mark, but obviously that won't work pre-75. I've got a few that I think 'might' be proofs, but apparently I have some trouble telling the difference between a well-struck business strike VS a circulated proof. I assume after they've been floating around for a bit they lose most of their contrast and mirrorness. Are there specific detail markers to look for? I've been unable to find much information on the subject.

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess it depends on wear, if there is too much you just are not going to be able to tell. The surfaces and the edges, proofs have sharp squared off edges are the usual ways to tell.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
An early strike on a very fresh die for general circulation, scratches are from the bag marks from the other coins.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread