Propane conversion

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The environmentalists have many issues with dredgers one being refueling in the water and the possibility of spilling gas.

I have been researching LP gas conversion for small engines and I am about to order a retrofit kit to convert my 11hp Honda dredge motor. I see the pro's being a much cleaner fuel with no spills, easy refueling and cheaper fuel cost.

Does anyone have any experience with propane conversion of small governor controlled engines?

Upvote 0

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've not had any experience with small engines, but some with vehicle engines. I had a 1976 Chevy pickup with a 350 engine set up for dual gasoline and propane for fuel. It was great. Changed the oil about every 4000 miles and it was always just a little brownish. The timing chain let go at about 257K miles. When the engine was dismantled, it was really clean. I also drove some bobtailed trucks delivering propane. We used propane for the fuel in them also. If set up properly, they had plenty of power.

azblackbird

Sep 27, 2011
Glendale, AZ
Detector(s) used
TDI Pro, GMT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Does anyone have any experience with propane conversion of small governor controlled engines?
There's a very good reason you rarely see propane powered lawnmowers, small generators, rototillers, pressure washers, water pumps, etc, etc. Think about it!

Last edited:

H-2 CHARLIE

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2012
on the rocks - so cal county line
Detector(s) used
Gold bug pro / Minelab GM 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It cost more to run on LP / better for long term storage like carbs staying clean and fires right up . Just to much for the cost because it burns much faster .

gunflintguy

Oct 4, 2013
Northern Mn
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, Blue Bowl
Sluices: 36" Bazooka Gold Trap Sniper, Angus McKirk Recon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have some experience with a Propane Converted Honda Motor Trash Pumps.

I live in Northeastern Minnesota and where I live we have a constant wildfire threat. We have had fires in the past and in May 2007 we lost over 180 structures to just one fire. The County got a grant thru FEMA to help homeowners to install wild land fire sprinkler systems. The sprinkler systems are feed from 10 horse and larger trash pumps.

All of the homes that have the sprinkler systems are on lakes which is a requirement for the original grant The engines originally were gas and eventually converted to propane because of the start up problems. Mine is a Honda that runs off 50 lb propane cylinder. The operating policy of the fire department is for the sprinkler system to be started and run for up to 26 hours straight if the fires could become a hazard. The 50 lb cylinder will supposedly run it that long.

I know that the 2 biggest problems with the Propane conversion is that it costs more to run and the oil has to be changed in the motor more often.

If you need more info on conversions or how they work you could contact www.wildfiresprinkler.com. They are a dealer for the systems in use in my area.

I myself have no problems starting my Honda propane converted motor after letting it sit all winter long. More than I can say for my lawn mower.

Last edited:

rwd mo

Jul 26, 2011
SW Mo
Detector(s) used
Minelab/whites/Tesoro/
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
The environmentalists have many issues with dredgers one being refueling in the water and the possibility of spilling gas.

I have been researching LP gas conversion for small engines and I am about to order a retrofit kit to convert my 11hp Honda dredge motor. I see the pro's being a much cleaner fuel with no spills, easy refueling and cheaper fuel cost.

You can even run the engine off a small propane canister but you probably need more fuel for longer running time for your purpose. They even make trimmers that use propane canisters here in sw Missouri probably your area also. If u use propane u will like it more than gas, the retrofit carbs etc are easy to install. rwd mo

OP
OP
B

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Propane is a bit harder to find than gas but that is about the only reason I can think of for not switching.
Thanks for the feedback...

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
B I just saw on redding craigslist a propane generator-13 hp-ohv-made by American Power-might google and talk to repair tech at service center. Those who repair should be gold nuggets of info for ya-John

OP
OP
B

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Containing spills is only one issue.
Winter storage / dirty carbs
Water in the fuel / evaporation
ethanol
evaporation

All of this is eliminated with LP

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Containing spills is only one issue. Winter storage / dirty carbs Water in the fuel / evaporation ethanol evaporation All of this is eliminated with LP
And the stink of a poorly tuned polluting engine too

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
AZ thanks for the link to the LP conversion. im considering it for my 10K gen. I wont do this for my dredge because I don't want to add 30 LBS> to my dredge that I have been working on to reduce its weight.

OP
OP
B

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Job Dan :) Propane is nice, I used to have a propane hand sweeper that just ran forever. Always used 10/30 Mobile One as usual and still only changed it once a year and this was used for 2 hours every day. The tank weighed 100lbs full so you definitely didn't let it run out before getting to the filling tank... Or it's one of those things we only do once anyway :)

OP
OP
B

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks reed, I think it will be a much better setup in the end. If nothing else it will eliminate having to refuel with a little red can 2-3 times a day.
I buy high mileage oil in bulk. It is a heavier weight oil and contains a synthetic blend with a slick 50 friction modifier....it's the ****!

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Running propane should mean your oil stays cleaner longer right?

mike(swWash)

Feb 6, 2008
Grays Harbor in Washington state
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT with about 1/4" of dust on it and can't even remember how t turn it on?!?!?
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
In a former life (25 yrs ago) I was a stinky gas man(L.P. delivery, sales & service tech)....and here's my over rated un-educated Hank Hill opinion....

Propane weighs about 1/2 as much as gasoline, it burns well down to -30* and is very clean, exhaust gas is mostly water and some CO2, Octane is around 110 but the btu(energy) output is far less than gasoline. In other words 1/4-1/3 less fuel mileage but it's usually about $1 under the price of gasoline per. gal. It burns hotter and leaves no carbon in the engine....in fact, if converting an old gasoline engine it will burn out all deposits and can reduce cylinder compression, possibly to the point of non ignition pressure. There's no possibility of polluting the ground or water when refueling however the fuel container is considerably larger and heavier than a gasoline tank and century makes the best carburation parts.......Ummmmm and(Hank Hill accent) a high-end propane regulator is a priority part to an efficient propane system, never neglect your regulator or you might have to go to one of those big box stores and deal with some over-educated salesperson that doesn't understand you're true propane needs.

OP
OP
B

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Propane and natural gas are "clean" fuels so they do not add to deposits in your motor the way gas will. Your motor life will go way up and the maintenance will go down

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1/4-1/3 loss in energy makes it almost exactly the same cost as gas per btu as gas here running at $3.00 a gallon and propane is more expensive than gas here now sooooooo. Hope it puts out enough energy for your test pump B-John

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread