Prospectin ROSCOELITE

HappyTrails55

Sep 30, 2005
Paso Robles
Detector(s) used
Teknetics G2
Prospectin' ROSCOELITE

I'll have photo's next week...The other day I was going through some old samples of rock I'd picked up back in Sept.-October of last year which I had marked to crush and pan, also marked with numbers and the corresponding locations on my map, so I could retrace and find the locations. I had run across a large outcropping of a Quartz Vein that was loaded with MICA that ran in different colors from dark green to silvery-gray accompanied with Green Crystals, which at that time I thought might be perhaps some sort of Florite. It didn't excite me enough to spend alot of time there messin' with it and I'd one a quick sweep with my Fisher Detector and got nothing, so I just took a grab sample and moved on. So when I was going through the samples the other day and really had nothing else to do, I took that grab sample and pulverized it with my Mortar & Pestle into a Fine Powder and Panned it...WOW, this baby has some Gold in it! Small, Very Minute stuff, but it's Gold..So I get busy and go through my Good 5 Books on Geology Rocks and Minerals and basically come up with nothing as far as the possibilites of Gold found with this type of Mica. Talking to a friend of mine a little later on (who's a little more knowledgeable on the subject) said that it was most probably "ROSCOELITE"...I found one short site on the Internet about it and nothing else. Any of you fellas out there know about this type of Formation in Quartz?...I'll be taking more samples and pic's of this, this weekend....Darrell

strickman

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2008
Villa Rica georgia
Detector(s) used
gold bug pro,garret,whites,tesoro,bounty-hunter,,.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Prospectin' ROSCOELITE

we have gold in ga. that sometimes runs in green saprolite.

OP
OP
H

HappyTrails55

Sep 30, 2005
Paso Robles
Detector(s) used
Teknetics G2

Well I read about that Saprolite (Thanks) and googled some pic's of it (and some of Roscoelite) and it is very interesting. This formation I'm at gets greener further up the hill from the 1st deposit of the quartz vein, there's 4 or 5 shoots of the Vein itself. The 1st vein has green tinge to some of it in crystal formation. Without a doubt, Beautiful Crystals are formed but many are so small to see them without a magnifyer. There are layers and layers of this Muscovite-Biotite looking Mica intermixed with the quartz, the gold itself is not visible until it is panned from the pulverized rock. But I did find some larger pieces of gold further uphill going towards the greener vein just laying in situ, er, on the ground in a bench type placer. So I'm in the area of where there is some Multiple Quartz Veins carrying different amounts of Mineralization and ofcourse what I'm after......GOLD......hee,hee....Here's some pic's...Darrell

Attachments

• Quartz Vein (Maybe Roscoelite) Mica with Gold 001.jpg
    Quartz Vein (Maybe Roscoelite) Mica with Gold 001.jpg
    208.5 KB · Views: 1,114
  • Quartz Vein (Maybe Roscoelite) Mica with Gold 002.jpg
    Quartz Vein (Maybe Roscoelite) Mica with Gold 002.jpg
    201.7 KB · Views: 1,013
  • Quartz Vein (Maybe Roscoelite) Mica with Gold 005.jpg
    Quartz Vein (Maybe Roscoelite) Mica with Gold 005.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 1,232
  • Quartz Vein (Maybe Roscoelite) Mica with Gold 006.jpg
    Quartz Vein (Maybe Roscoelite) Mica with Gold 006.jpg
    206.8 KB · Views: 1,388
  • Quartz Vein (Maybe Roscoelite) Mica with Gold 012.jpg
    Quartz Vein (Maybe Roscoelite) Mica with Gold 012.jpg
    239.1 KB · Views: 1,069
  • Quartz Vein (Maybe Roscoelite) Mica with Gold 013.jpg
    Quartz Vein (Maybe Roscoelite) Mica with Gold 013.jpg
    209.2 KB · Views: 1,013
  • Quartz Vein (Maybe Roscoelite) Mica with Gold 016.jpg
    Quartz Vein (Maybe Roscoelite) Mica with Gold 016.jpg
    238.8 KB · Views: 967
  • Quartz Vein (Maybe Roscoelite) Mica with Gold 040.jpg
    Quartz Vein (Maybe Roscoelite) Mica with Gold 040.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 1,025
  • Quartz Vein (Maybe Roscoelite) Mica with Gold 039.jpg
    Quartz Vein (Maybe Roscoelite) Mica with Gold 039.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 1,014
  • Quartz Vein (Maybe Roscoelite) Mica with Gold 025.jpg
    Quartz Vein (Maybe Roscoelite) Mica with Gold 025.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 1,524
  • Quartz Vein (Maybe Roscoelite) Mica with Gold 021.jpg
    Quartz Vein (Maybe Roscoelite) Mica with Gold 021.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 998

centennial

May 1, 2008

Looks good Darrel, are you going to get any assays done ? Seems odd a outcroping vein carring gold hasnt been found before now, the old timers normally didnt miss much.
Good luck, hope your on a winner
Laurie

Astrobouncer

Jun 21, 2009

Thanks for the pictures and the story man. Quite an interesting vein you have there. I wasn't aware of roscoelte before this post so its definitely something I will be keep an eye out for. Good luck with the gold, I hope you get a bunch!

AU Seeker

Bronze Member
Oct 14, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
E-Track, MXT, CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Darrell,

If you haven't been to this site before it will give you some more info on "ROSCOELITE", but as you already know it is associated with gold..

"Occurrences of Roscoelite
Geological Setting: Low temperature epithermal Au-Ag-Te deposits and oxidized portions of sedimentary U-V deposits."

The link.

http://www.mindat.org/min-3449.html

I would like to see some of the gold your getting out of this material!

Skip

firebird21

Dec 28, 2008

Roscoelite is a muscovite that contains some vanadium and is sometimes associated with gold deposits. This has taken place in California as well as Colorado and Australia. Since you've already determined that yours has some gold, it certainly warrants further sampling.
What type of rock is adjacent to this outcrop of roscoelite? Is it fresh or altered? If it is altered, it may also contain gold.
Keep us informed,
Firebird21

OP
OP
H

HappyTrails55

Sep 30, 2005
Paso Robles
Detector(s) used
Teknetics G2

I'll have an update for ya all pretty soon with pic's. It's pretty exciting stuff...Darrell

OP
OP
H

HappyTrails55

Sep 30, 2005
Paso Robles
Detector(s) used
Teknetics G2

Well fooled around too long with this stuff, so I put together a good sample of the panning extracts er about a 1 & 1/2 pound sample and sent it off for a Multiple Element Analysis Assay that will list from A to Z in Metal, Mineral, Gold, Silver, Platinum and Platinum Group Metals. Got me this new CrazyCrusher that I'm Tickled with, hee,hee...I LIKE IT!!! I got it for something else but then switched gears and started back on the Roscoelite Vein, here's some pic's...Darrell

Attachments

• CrazyCrusher 030.jpg
    CrazyCrusher 030.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 1,092
  • CrazyCrusher 028.jpg
    CrazyCrusher 028.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 1,045
  • CrazyCrusher 027.jpg
    CrazyCrusher 027.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 1,015
  • CrazyCrusher 023.jpg
    CrazyCrusher 023.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 970
  • CrazyCrusher 009.jpg
    CrazyCrusher 009.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 977
  • CrazyCrusher 008.jpg
    CrazyCrusher 008.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 973
  • CrazyCrusher 007.jpg
    CrazyCrusher 007.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 974
  • CrazyCrusher 005.jpg
    CrazyCrusher 005.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 980
  • CrazyCrusher 003.jpg
    CrazyCrusher 003.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 896
  • CrazyCrusher 031.jpg
    CrazyCrusher 031.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 1,115

tmodel

Feb 5, 2011
mid tn.

Happy!! if i were in a placelike you got i would be carring me a good supply of the rocks that looked as close as i could get to my sample and put them around the flower beds for a rainy day. Terry

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread