Working high ground/ ground out of water.

Astrobouncer

Jun 21, 2009
Hey guys I am sick with a pretty bad flu this weekend (I overdid it last weekend and now my body's paying me back I guess) so I haven't been able to get out like I usually would but this gave me some time to do some thinking.

I was wondering if you guys could point out some tips for working out of water, and working higher ground for gold. I vaguely remember Takoda talking about some methods he uses but I couldn't find the post offhand.

Here's what I been doing so far and maybe you guys can point out where I am going wrong...

I usually study the rocks (on the ground and exposed outcrops) I find looking for any kind of chunky/dirty/shiny/sparkly rock that either looks out of place or has any kind of veining/staining on it. Quartz veins of any kind get a harder look. I try to ID the stones in the area so I know what else should be around there. I also look out for heavy rocks (heavy to lift) and If find some bigger chunks of quartz I usually bust em open. I look for washes, and then study the rocks that have been eroded in them. I found a piece of quartz with some tiny black crystals about the size of spaghetti noodles in a wash not a mile from my house last week.
Also I check out exposed cliffs/hillsides and look for erosion exposed rocks.

Sometimes I take dirt samples and then carry those back to the house to pan, though usually I don't do this as theres so much clay in the area here it hasn't been worthwhile.

Despite all this, I still haven't found much worth finding. That huge chalcopyrite boulder I found a couple weeks back was about my most exciting find yet, and Its still sitting in the river cause I cant move a 600lb boulder, heh.

Sam Burgin

May 10, 2008
In quartz especially, cruddy and nasty rocks indicate mineralization. Conditions were condusive for precipitating, oxidizing, free milling, or sulphiding gold. Crush and sample on site. If the outcropping is vertical, and nasty, call me, you may be on a vent. You are more apt to hit sulphides where the ore was not allowed to oxidize, say below the water table. That's the way it rolls in NC anyhow.

Sam

OP
OP
Astrobouncer

Astrobouncer

Jun 21, 2009
Thanks for the advice guys. Sorry T, I must have forgot to mention that I do crush metallic/dirty quartz/interesting looking rocks and then pan them out. I am feeling better today so hopefully by the weekend I will get some good prospecting time in.

TAKODA

Aug 19, 2008
Alabama
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ssuupp AB , Sounds like your doing some good things . Keep on keep'in on . :icon_thumright:

P.S. Hope your illness passes quickly .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread