Prospector Shot on his own land - trying to mow!

OP
OP
F

Floristweb

Feb 21, 2015
South Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hunstman53..... Love ya friend... You have the heart of a Hero.

Hopefully the Sheriff will get things rolling when we try to see him tomorrow. Thanks for being such a strong voice and standing against that which is wrong. But hopefully, the Sheriff will do something. Though it is sure nice to know that someone of your experience would be willing step in to help protect our family. That is just precious. Hopefully we can get out prospecting soon... These hip waders aren't doing any good inside... But while the THUG is still behind here gunning for us, it isn't safe to do.

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

Floristweb

Feb 21, 2015
South Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's the wierd part. Even if the guy took off that's assault with a deadly weapon and anywhere else there would have been a warrant out for his arrest immediately. I'm sure there are some other charges to tack too like felon in possession of a firearm, attempted murder etc. Really really strange they didn't take this guy in which makes me think there might be a bit more to the story. Even in a legit self defense shooting you have a good chance of getting arrested while they sort everything out and the DA decides if he will press charges or not.

Did an officer even respond to the scene or was no one called out there and only came to the hospital for questioning? If that's the case there most likely is an on going investigation and hopefully the DA charges the guy today.

Yes, several officers responded and went back in full tactical gear. The only persons back there were the Thug, and his girlfriend (verified by the investigator and officers on the scene). The investigator said he didn't take him in for questioning because he was drunk. After I called the news the investigator did come back again, and went back to talk to them again.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Floristweb , You and your family have been attacked repeatedly by this scumbag , The only way you're going to get satisfaction in this
matter is to keep up a barrage of personal visits to any and all relevant law enforcement officials , letters that document
everything in minute details must be sent to all appropriate officials , the media must be contacted daily ! TV, newspapers,
local radio - Basically you have to keep this story in their faces until you get the relief you seek . I'm horrified that this piece
of garbage was not immediately taken into custody - after twice assaulting you with a deadly weapon ! God Bless You ,and
Yes , You Need to Be Armed !

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Floristweb , You and your family have been attacked repeatedly by this scumbag , The only way you're going to get satisfaction in this
matter is to keep up a barrage of personal visits to any and all relevant law enforcement officials , letters that document
everything in minute details must be sent to all appropriate officials , the media must be contacted daily ! TV, newspapers,
local radio - Basically you have to keep this story in their faces until you get the relief you seek . I'm horrified that this piece
of garbage was not immediately taken into custody - after twice assaulting you with a deadly weapon ! God Bless You ,and
Yes , You Need to Be Armed !

AND, file a civil lawsuit at some point. I'd let this cool off a bit to see where this goes with LEO's, and then pile it on. You should NOT be responsible for hospital bills, lost time or anything resembling that. Cover them in paperwork trouble and legal expenses. This guy should be in jail, and he should have to pay every single expense you'll have on defending yourself. You didn't start this. He should even have to pay for a new property survey, research, and boundary fortification. You've mentioned gates and fencing, hit him with that too. Creative thinking will give just rewards :)

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
Floristweb, do you have a witness/s to the statement, not took in for Qs
because he was drunk. and all the best to your family

JMO, sounds like the good ol boy scenario. 1st cop says to 2nd cop, now you
know we been dealing with family X for 40yr, they are just drunks and only
a prob when drunk, talk to them and let em sleep it off, we dont want to
upset king X, as he runs most everything around here and there. heck you
got fam that work for king X, cant see anyone losing jobs over a drunk, can
you. we will just make sure he is going to sleep it off,and no more trouble
anytime soon
i know of a fam back in the day, that was in a situation like that

Yes, several officers responded and went back in full tactical gear. The only persons back there were the Thug, and his girlfriend (verified by the investigator and officers on the scene). The investigator said he didn't take him in for questioning because he was drunk. After I called the news the investigator did come back again, and went back to talk to them again.

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
messed that up, should read
wishing all the best to your family

NC1

Greenie
Sep 5, 2015
Laurinburg, NC
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find it hard to believe that a deputy would be honestly mistaken on what "hearsay" is. They do know. Also it sounds like the entire law enforcement community there is hesitant to do anything and are (for lack of a better word) stalling the process.
I don't know exactly what is going on with them and the shooter, but am convinced something is amiss.
You need to take it up a notch before too much time goes by. Every hour that goes by, means the likelihood of any action being taken diminishes.
I strongly urge you to call your local your local U.S. Marshal, to at least get a call of record entered in their books should you need to bring it up later, either in court, or another shooting incident.

CA Gold Hunter

Nov 14, 2014
Northern California
Detector(s) used
White's TDI SL, Fors Gold+, Gold Monster 1000, 36" Bazooka Prospector, 30" Bazooka Sniper.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

There's something really shady there. The guy being drunk should have been even more reasoning to take him in.

OP
OP
F

Floristweb

Feb 21, 2015
South Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Floristweb, do you have a witness/s to the statement, not took in for Qs
because he was drunk. and all the best to your family

JMO, sounds like the good ol boy scenario. 1st cop says to 2nd cop, now you
know we been dealing with family X for 40yr, they are just drunks and only
a prob when drunk, talk to them and let em sleep it off, we dont want to
upset king X, as he runs most everything around here and there. heck you
got fam that work for king X, cant see anyone losing jobs over a drunk, can
you. we will just make sure he is going to sleep it off,and no more trouble
anytime soon
i know of a fam back in the day, that was in a situation like that

Investigator was sitting in my livingroom in front of me, my husband, and grown daughter, told us that he didn't want to take him in for questioning that night because he was very drunk. He said that it is hard to question a drunk man. He said he may ask him to come in for questioning at some later date and he'd rather question him when he was sure he was sober... This made no sense to me, as I would think a drunk might be easier to question... But maybe there are some new investigative techniques that I can't comprehend. When he said that my daughter spoke up, and said "are you not going to arrest him until sombody dies!?". The investigator was then shown by my husband where the shooting happened, and took pictures. which show that my husband was shot from where the perp is camping.

I'm hoping that the investigator is doing his job now, he suggested we leave our home. WHAT!!!! Also, earlier that day the officer that responed when he almost ran over my daughter and I, wanted to know what business we had being on our property! WHAT!!! I told him it is my property, I rockhound, prospect and am builing another house! There is something very FISHY! about the way this criminal's crimes against us have been handled. I will let the Sheriff know how I feel and hopefully he isn't part of the problem. My neighbor doesn't think he is, and that he will step in.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Floristweb , I absolutely agree with the previous post - that "you need to ramp it up a notch before too much time goes by " This is
crucial ! you need legal advocacy here so that this does not get swept under the carpet !!! Wish I could do more than
just be a cheering section for you ! Definitely Document Everything that has been done , when, where , by whom , the
responses by law enforcement (or lack thereof ) etc.

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
Floristweb, are you new to that town or area, just wondering it might
not be a good idea to trust some folks there, cause if its a good ol boy
thing, everyone knows everything, hell they prob knew your husband
was shot b4 he made to the hospital

Brother Al

Jul 23, 2013
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Three White's, one Fisher and a Minelab.....I'm beginning to wonder if I am a metal detectorist .....or a collector of metal detectors?
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Floristweb , I absolutely agree with the previous post - that "you need to ramp it up a notch before too much time goes by " This is
crucial ! you need legal advocacy here so that this does not get swept under the carpet !!! Wish I could do more than
just be a cheering section for you ! Definitely Document Everything that has been done , when, where , by whom , the
Total agreement. Every action, every comment. Any and all thoughts or activities that could be evidence at a later date

OP
OP
F

Floristweb

Feb 21, 2015
South Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Oddly talking about it here on TN is an form of publicly documenting what is happening (didn't think of it that way, but it does just that) If anything happens to me or my family, there is a public record of this now. That doesn't keep me safe, but it does give evidence should it be needed if something happens to us (I pray it never needed for that purpose).

AuLobo

May 22, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Floristweb, that bullet in your husband's leg is also evidence. I recommend that you contact a lawyer and a surgeon of your chosing. Have the bullet removed and given to your lawyer while he or she is in the operating room observing the procedure. Don't immediately hand it over to the authorities! Let your lawyer decide which authorities get custody and when they receive it. Chain of custody is very important here, as well as the timing.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All I can say is, if this would have happened here, the police would have shown up in full force, surrounded the house, campsite or whatever the hell the scumbag is living in and his ass would have either surrendered or they would have extracted him from the scene by any means necessary. I agree wholeheartedly that the "good ole boy" system is in play here. There is no place for this in today's society. The entire county Sheriff's department should be investigated from a federal level. You do need to make contact with the Federal Marshall's Service as well as
(I can't believe I'm saying this) the ACLU. You need an attorney, probably be best to get one from a large city and not a local. The county, the city, the sheriff's department, the shooter and anyone else involved with this needs to be held accountable. You, your daughter and your husband have lawsuits to file. Someone mentioned Facebook earlier in this thread in a negative manner. I would suggest posting a link to this very thread on the Oconee county Sheriff's Department Facebook page, just because you can. The more exposure the better.- https://www.facebook.com/oconeelaw and https://www.facebook.com/oconeesheriff

Also contact Jimmy Watt the Public Information Officer with the Oconee County Sheriff’s Office, at 864-638-4199 or e-mail him at [email protected] and inform him of your situation, letting him know you are/will be going public with it.

OP
OP
F

Floristweb

Feb 21, 2015
South Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Oddly talking about it here on TN is an form of publicly documenting what is happening (didn't think of it that way, but it does just that) If anything happens to me or my family, there is a public record of this now. That doesn't keep me safe, but it does give evidence should it be needed if something happens to us (I pray it never needed for that purpose).

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
You don't need a castle doctrine, or any other doctrine. If your life is being immediately threatened you have a right to protect yourself and your family.

If you haven't received satisfactory protection from the local Sheriff's Office, go to the next highest Law Enforcement Agency in the state.

TN is not proof of much of anything, seeing anybody can post anything anytime from anywhere.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I may have missed a post in there, but the only thing I ever took to a judge was a request for a search warrant. Anything related to getting an arrest warrant went straight to the District Attorney and he decided whether I had a good enough case to file charges. I assume you have a District Attorney and that's who you should be talking to. (By the way, in Oklahoma, the DA is the #1 law enforcement official in the county. Sheriff is below him. Judges are a whole different bunch.) Nothing goes without his say so. If you mentioned the DA I missed it, and I apologize. Lot to read here, and I got kinda fired up when I read your initial post about this problem.

ecmjamsit

Dec 2, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster GMT, GMII,Whites Sierra Super Trac, Ace250, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Whites Pinpointer,Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The reason this may be so slow is because the shooter is already under investigation by DEA, ATF, etc. Lots of times they try to get as much evidence against the person as possible. It is a lot easier to get a conviction if you have dozens of charges against a criminal. It also allows the government ease in seizing the property. If the government seizes the property and you have a judgement against the property owner, you may very well be awarded the property. Your best bet is to get an attorney to represent you.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread