Prospectors Research Tools

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Prospector's Research Tools

I haven't been around much this summer and with the desert prospecting season just starting it's a good time to show off what I did this long hot summer. I have been working with a few friends on a new non-profit organization to give you a single place for all your land research.

The result is MyLandMatters.Org. This is the gateway to your land information repository. Maps, books, tutorials, community resources and quality, easy-to-access information about the land around you.

No ads, No memberships, No log-in required. :thumbsup:

This past spring while sitting around with some friends we came to the conclusion that most of the important and useful things that we want to know about the land around us was difficult to locate and tough to understand. Despite the many sources of information there was no single place to find the information available.

We decided we could do something about that. We agreed to put our time and energy into creating a single place that anyone could find the answers to questions about the land.

It's a big project. It has taken a lot of work, learning and resources to get things started. But after six months of long days, and more than a few nights, the Land Matters repository is ready for you to use.

Land Matters is all about the land. You can find Land Status Maps, Active Mining Claims Maps (with live direct links into the current LR2000 claims database), A great collection of mining books, Land Laws, Geology books and maps, Forest Travel Plans and a whole lot more.

Land Matters is for land users. Our collections are guided by community input. That's you. Let us know what kind of material you would like to find in our Library or a particular map you would like to see. Help us build Land Matters to best serve the community.

We've already got a lot of things that prospectors have been asking for - the claims maps alone were almost universally requested. Land Matters isn't just for prospectors and miners. But you can help prioritize our efforts and drive the content of Land Matters. Prospectors now have a unique opportunity to help guide and build an information resource designed by prospectors and for prospectors.

We are just getting started filling the Library but there will be hundreds of books, maps and items added in the next few weeks. We've even got a Newsletter so you can get regular updates about new additions to the Land Matters repository.

Check it out and let me know what you think. Here are a few good places to start:

Tutorials - the current focus is on understanding Land Status.
Maps - We all like maps and we've got some you will love.
Library - search for something.

Heavy Pans
Barry & Leigh

Upvote 11
OP
OP
Clay Diggins

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Mining Claim Maps Updated to November 15

I've been on the road for the past three weeks. Private business in Washington D.C. area and Denver. I'm tired and have laryngitis but we've still managed to get the maps updated.

Interesting changes with this update. Utah had a bunch of 60 - 80 year old placer areas open up. If you are in Utah now would be a good time to plan some prospecting trips. :thumbsup:

California continues to drag their feet on updating claim status 2.5 months into the new year. :BangHead:

Check out the changes in your area at the Land Matters Mining Claim Maps.

Heavy Pans

builderb1

Jul 11, 2016
nc
Detector(s) used
bountyhunter quickdraw pro
Garrett AT MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very good web site ,I will be using it alot.thank you for all the work you did on it.

OP
OP
Clay Diggins

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Here's wishing everyone a great Thanksgiving holiday! :hello2:

Land Matters will be releasing the public version of the Claims Advantage Year in Review Report in the next few days. I thought you might enjoy a little preview to look over before the full report comes out.

LTotal_Current_Active_Claims_by_State_as_of_August_31,_2016-1.jpg

There's a lot more to come. A lot of surprises included. Watch this space.

In the meantime enjoy your Turkey, Tofu or McD burger er whatever makes your day! :thumbsup:

Heavy Pans

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You get to see what you missed out on by not being a member ;)

OP
OP
Clay Diggins

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You get to see what you missed out on by not being a member ;)

Any member no matter when they join can get any of the Special Reports just by requesting them. The twice monthly closed claims reports are exclusive to your membership period but the full Special Reports including the full 14 page 2016 Overview, State Details and Administrative Reports are always available to members anytime. :thumbsup:

Heavy Pans

OP
OP
Clay Diggins

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
2016 Overview Report Available now!

The Land Matters Annual Mining Claims Review Overview 2016 Public Report is now available online for free. You can also download the Report in PDF format from that same page. :thumbsup:

I'm hoping this will help clear up some of the misinformation being put out there by some other groups. These are facts you can depend on.

Land Matters will be releasing the public version of the Annual Administrative Report (BLM Report Card) before Christmas. I'll announce that here when it's ready.

Heavy Pans

OP
OP
Clay Diggins

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Mining Clams Maps updated to December 1, 2016

Land Matters updated the Mining Claims Maps this afternoon. Land Matters updates the claim information and claim maps twice a month. 8-)

Prospectors in Arizona looking for productive previously claimed areas will be pleased. Lots of good areas open in the Maricopa and Yavapai gold deposits now. :thumbsup:

California not so much, they closed one lode claim and finally acted on a single placer claim that expired in 2015 - they are still working on getting updated on last years mining claims files. :BangHead:

Heavy Pans

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Just sent in the $$ for claims advantage membership ...couldn't take being a freeloader since it's been over a year since I donated. (Hint hint y'all)

OP
OP
Clay Diggins

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Just sent in the $$ for claims advantage membership ...couldn't take being a freeloader since it's been over a year since I donated. (Hint hint y'all)

Heck you're not a freeloader Kevin. If you were a freeloader that would mean we got about 6 million freeloaders this year using the maps and library. I prefer to think of Land Matters users as researchers doing work that benefits them. :thumbsup:

All that being said Land Matters wouldn't exist without supporters like you. Your membership is really appreciated! There are still some pretty big server bills and overhead every month. Ma Bell and that big server in New York don't work for free!

Thank you Kevin and thanks to all the other Land Matters Supporters. :hello2: Land Matters is a fully qualified non profit educational organization with no paid employees and no advertising revenue. We depend on individuals like you to help us continue our work.

Heavy Pans

OP
OP
Clay Diggins

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Gold Region Proposed Withdrawal

Land Matters has posted an explanation and map of the proposed BLM Vulture Mountains Rec Area lease in Arizona.

This is a popular and productive gold prospecting area just Northwest of Phoenix Arizona. It's adjacent to the active Vulture Mine one of the oldest and most productive gold mines in Arizona.

You can see the withdrawal proposal and interactive map on the News and Views front page.

Heavy Pans

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
I sure don't get a warm and fuzzy feeling about this withdrawal. I'd have to see the actual rules for the Rec Area that the county plans to implement. I've got nothing against sharing public lands with other users until rules drawn up to keep all the other users happy lock out prospectors. I've seen too many other "Recreational Areas" that limit when, where and what kind of equipment prospectors can use to the point that to be legal you'd only be able to dig with your bare hands if at all.

OP
OP
Clay Diggins

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Mining Clams Maps updated to December 15, 2016

Land Matters updated the Mining Claims Maps yesterday afternoon.

We update the mining claim maps twice a month. The maps include land management and PLSS information along with the usual map features. That's not something you can get from any other map. That's probably why 10,000 - 12,000 custom interactive mining claims maps are now being generated for Land Matters users every day! :thumbsup:

Heavy Pans

OP
OP
Clay Diggins

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Mining Claims Maps Updated to January 1

The Land Matters Mining Claims Maps have been updated as they are twice each month. Land Matters provides the most up to date claims mapping available anywhere.

This update was a real struggle. BLM is supposed to provide the bi monthly data on the 1st and the 15th. This time they didn't get the databases updated until this afternoon (the 5th). We've worked all afternoon and evening to finish this update. It's hard to schedule regular work when you are waiting for the government to catch up after the holiday parties. :BangHead:

Hoping the next one (due a week from next Monday) will be on time. :thumbsup:

Heavy Pans

StreamlineGold

Apr 21, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was just at the BLM office in phx today..they were in the middle of fling 132 claims..they have been swamped

OP
OP
Clay Diggins

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I was just at the BLM office in phx today..they were in the middle of fling 132 claims..they have been swamped

132 claims isn't really that much for Arizona BLM - particularly in season.
Look at it in perspective:

• The BLM has already closed 3,850 claims in Arizona this mining year alone.
  • Last mining year there were 5,307 new claims located in Arizona.
  • Arizona has more than 44,000 current active claims. The BLM has to process filings on each of those claims every year.
On average Arizona BLM processes 178 claims per day. 132 claims is only about 75% of an average day's claims processing time.
132 claims is not so much when you look at the big picture.

Heavy Pans

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread