Prospectors Research Tools

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Prospector's Research Tools

I haven't been around much this summer and with the desert prospecting season just starting it's a good time to show off what I did this long hot summer. I have been working with a few friends on a new non-profit organization to give you a single place for all your land research.

The result is MyLandMatters.Org. This is the gateway to your land information repository. Maps, books, tutorials, community resources and quality, easy-to-access information about the land around you.

No ads, No memberships, No log-in required. :thumbsup:

This past spring while sitting around with some friends we came to the conclusion that most of the important and useful things that we want to know about the land around us was difficult to locate and tough to understand. Despite the many sources of information there was no single place to find the information available.

We decided we could do something about that. We agreed to put our time and energy into creating a single place that anyone could find the answers to questions about the land.

It's a big project. It has taken a lot of work, learning and resources to get things started. But after six months of long days, and more than a few nights, the Land Matters repository is ready for you to use.

Land Matters is all about the land. You can find Land Status Maps, Active Mining Claims Maps (with live direct links into the current LR2000 claims database), A great collection of mining books, Land Laws, Geology books and maps, Forest Travel Plans and a whole lot more.

Land Matters is for land users. Our collections are guided by community input. That's you. Let us know what kind of material you would like to find in our Library or a particular map you would like to see. Help us build Land Matters to best serve the community.

We've already got a lot of things that prospectors have been asking for - the claims maps alone were almost universally requested. Land Matters isn't just for prospectors and miners. But you can help prioritize our efforts and drive the content of Land Matters. Prospectors now have a unique opportunity to help guide and build an information resource designed by prospectors and for prospectors.

We are just getting started filling the Library but there will be hundreds of books, maps and items added in the next few weeks. We've even got a Newsletter so you can get regular updates about new additions to the Land Matters repository.

Check it out and let me know what you think. Here are a few good places to start:

Tutorials - the current focus is on understanding Land Status.
Maps - We all like maps and we've got some you will love.
Library - search for something.

Heavy Pans
Barry & Leigh

Upvote 11

Wahoo

Jul 9, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't been around TNet for a couple of years, been too busy. But now that I am retired, I have been getting back into swinging my detector. Most recently I have been hankering for some gold prospecting! However due to my poor physical condition, I wouldn't dream of doing what I see many prospectors doing with placer mining in arctic cold streams or going miles under ground! So I've landed hear in the hopes that ya'll can help me with my crazy idea? I am hoping there is a way I can get all the current or past gold mines loaded onto Google Earth. I figure I can go to the old mines that aren't currently claimed and metal detect for the odds n ends dropped in the past? Maybe start in Arizona and work my way north all the way to Alaska one day hopefully before I croak! ��

Last edited:
OP
OP
Clay Diggins

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It's all right there on the Land Matters Mining Claim Maps Wahoo.

Just turn on the "Topo Mineral Features" and the "MRDS Mines" layers on the right under "Mining History". Use the tool to get information on each feature and the mines history. Heck you can even download the topo maps the mineral features are found on directly from your information window. :thumbsup:

Heavy Pans

Wahoo

Jul 9, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I don't have to join anything or pay a fee or anything?

OP
OP
Clay Diggins

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The Land Matters Mining Claims Maps have now been updated to August 15th. :thumbsup:

Not a lot of changes this half month, we are getting closer to the beginning of the new mining year on September 1. Now is the time to be watching for open ground to claim. When September 1 rolls around there is going to be the usual annual mad dash to make new claims.

A word to he wise. If you know of good open ground that you would like to claim for your own go ahead and claim it now and either take the free small miners exemption or pony up the double fees to get your claim. We see a lot of disputes coming out around the September 1 rush and being a few days earlier can be the thing that makes the difference between an easy claim and a dispute.

Heavy Pans

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm keeping my eye on something but dude is always last minute...So, i won't be spending any money8-)

Yet!!

Last edited:

et1955

Jan 10, 2015
Shoreline,wa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Just letting you know that the info tab on Washington state is not working.

OP
OP
Clay Diggins

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Just letting you know that the info tab on Washington state is not working.

Thanks for the heads up! :thumbsup:

I just checked the mining claims map and everything seems to be working fine. The server logs don't show any errors.

Which map are you having trouble with?

Heavy Pans

et1955

Jan 10, 2015
Shoreline,wa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
When I click the info tab on the claims located in the Sultan basin, the query symbol comes up and just spins for a long time yet when I check claims in California the info comes up instantly.

OP
OP
Clay Diggins

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
When I click the info tab on the claims located in the Sultan basin, the query symbol comes up and just spins for a long time yet when I check claims in California the info comes up instantly.

Ahhh... finally found the problem! It's the Snohomish County Recorders file. I'm working to fix that now but in the meantime the map will work as expected if you uncheck the "County Recorders" map layer.

The other Counties are working fine it's just Snohomish that has a problem.

Heavy Pans

OP
OP
Clay Diggins

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Land Matters updated the Mining Claim maps today.

The BLM was late producing the database download yesterday but they stuck to it and got it out late on Friday. :thumbsup:

Land Matters offers the only mining claims maps updated twice monthly. There are no more up to date mining claim maps than those available at Land Matters. Considering the price (free) that's a truly remarkable bargain.

This is the first update of the new mining year. Soon we will be offering our free public Annual Mining Claims Review for 2017. For Claims Advantage members we will be sending out the full version of that report as well as an update to the very popular Unclaimed Historical Placers Report.

Heavy Pans

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Mining Claims maps were updated yesterday.
Are these the FOOTPRINT updates you sent me recently? I LOVE those Footprints! I have four. ╦╦Ç

OP
OP
Clay Diggins

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Are these the FOOTPRINT updates you sent me recently? I LOVE those Footprints! I have four. ╦╦Ç

Nah. This is the Land Matters thread Terry. FootPrints is one of my private businesses, Land Matters is a non profit I volunteer for.

I'm glad you like the FootPrints program Terry. More updates for registered FootPrints owners coming soon. :thumbsup:

Heavy Pans

Last edited:
OP
OP
Clay Diggins

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Claims Maps were updated again yesterday.

Idaho had several 116 year old claims closed in the last two weeks. California BLM is still working on their 2015 mining year updates, nothing new from them.

There were 849 new claims added to the BLM database in the last two weeks and 304 claims closed.

Land Matters has the most up to date Mining Claims Maps available anywhere. Add in features like Land Management, MTPs, highlighted New Claims, County Recorder Links, Serial Register Page Links for each claim, Geology and the only modern PLSS grid available and you have a complete up to date online claims research solution. :thumbsup:

Heavy Pans

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread