Pround New Owner Of A Gold Bug Pro

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Arizona - Is there any other state worth visiting
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
My Gold Bug Pro arrive sooner than I thought. Chris Gholson at Arizona Outback had thought he would not receive shipment until the end of the month. I have joined Desert Gold Diggers and have all their claim maps. Went to my first meeting and was surprised at the amount of people in attendance. If I were to take a guest I would say maybe 150 to 200 members or guest. I am really excited about getting out and learning. I have had a few conversions with Ray Mills on the phone as he hooked me up with Chris. Ray is an authority on the GBP and I am sure I will be calling Ray with some questions. I have also met another forum member (Gray Ghost) in these forums and he lives in Tucson as well, we plan to hookup and search for gold. We both have the same equipment so hopefully I can pick up some pointers from GG as he had owed a Fisher F75.

I am surprised at how lite the GBP is. Another neat item is the MD has one single 9v battery to power the MD. We have been having some very nasty weather of late. Yesterday it began snowing around noon and was still snowing late last night. We see snow about once every 4 or 5 years. Desert Gold Diggers has an outing schedule for the Arivaca area area March 10th of which is my birthday so I will plan on going. 8-)

gbpg.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
AzViper

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ray is one of the good guys, and a well respected California prospector that I follow on Chris Gholson's forum, as well as Bill Southern's and Rob Allison's forums. The DGD is a Great club that I worked with back in 2008 (Mark Paris), when we started running prospecting adventures near the Mexican border. You can't go wrong with your machine and set up - Big Gold to you! :icon_thumright:

Terry I have hunted all my life along the border of Arizona / Mexico. Seen many signs of No Treaspassing on miners claims in the area. Seen backcountry others would not adventure into. I have some good ideas where I want to go and have access to a huge plot of land down south. I want to get my feet wet with the club and its outings hoping to pick up some pointers. It appears the club will be getting a few new claims in the Arivaca area as they belong to club members and at the last meeting word was these claims may open up to club members.

OP
OP
AzViper

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I do have a question in regards to coil protectors. Do these plastic covers degrade the signal and depth?

Reg

Aug 10, 2007
Pueblo, CO
Detector(s) used
White's TDI, TDI SL, GMT, GM 4, MXT, Tesoro LST, Lobo, Bandido, Vaquero, Sidewinder, Fisher GB 2, GB SE, F75 LTD Camo, Minelab SD 2200, XT18000, Discovery Goldtrax, Cointrax, and too many others
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
aZviper,

Yes, I am using the software you mentioned. I find it extremely accurate here in Colorado and I have the New Mexico version, which is also very accurate. I didn't buy the AZ one since I don't plan on any more trips down your way.

If my brother talks me into a trip, I will buy the AZ version then. However, I spent 20 years taking trips with my dad two or three times a year to AZ strictly for gold hunting. Since my dad's death, my health has declined making trips difficult. Had some great times and met a bunch of great people all across the state.

One of my trips to your part of the country was a combination vacation and hunt. My late significant other wanted to go to Nogales, so we spent a day in and around Tombstone before spending a day nugget hunting. Finally made it to Nogales for a day and then it was up to Rich Hill for a day or so. She used to go with me on many of my nugget hunting trips, but she died shortly after my dad's death.

So, I haven't had much desire to make any further trips to AZ since then.

Reg

Reg

Aug 10, 2007
Pueblo, CO
Detector(s) used
White's TDI, TDI SL, GMT, GM 4, MXT, Tesoro LST, Lobo, Bandido, Vaquero, Sidewinder, Fisher GB 2, GB SE, F75 LTD Camo, Minelab SD 2200, XT18000, Discovery Goldtrax, Cointrax, and too many others
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do have a question in regards to coil protectors. Do these plastic covers degrade the signal and depth?

The short answer is no, they don't have any effect on the signal by themselves. If by chance they get black sand between the protector and the coil, it can cause problems, most noticeably on ML PI's.

I have a bunch of gold hunting detectors and all have coil covers including my GB SE's of which I have two. One of my SE's has the elliptical coil available on it and it is the coil of choice for me when I use that detector.

Reg

OP
OP
AzViper

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
aZviper,

Yes, I am using the software you mentioned. I find it extremely accurate here in Colorado and I have the New Mexico version, which is also very accurate. I didn't buy the AZ one since I don't plan on any more trips down your way.

If my brother talks me into a trip, I will buy the AZ version then. However, I spent 20 years taking trips with my dad two or three times a year to AZ strictly for gold hunting. Since my dad's death, my health has declined making trips difficult. Had some great times and met a bunch of great people all across the state.

One of my trips to your part of the country was a combination vacation and hunt. My late significant other wanted to go to Nogales, so we spent a day in and around Tombstone before spending a day nugget hunting. Finally made it to Nogales for a day and then it was up to Rich Hill for a day or so. She used to go with me on many of my nugget hunting trips, but she died shortly after my dad's death.

So, I haven't had much desire to make any further trips to AZ since then.

Reg

Reg I feel your pain. I just lost my 91 year old mother on December 28th. Today is my Dads 91st birthday and will spending the day with him and the family.

I do understand you in regards of black sand getting in between the cover and coil. That can be solved by using white electrical tape.

GreyGhost

Feb 14, 2010
AZ
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have been gathering items that I may encounter while detecting and digging holes in my backyard about 6 inches deep.

Lanny this is my first find. Can't say it was with my metal detector though. It rolled out from a book I brought home from Missouri into my lap. This is a $20 dollar Double Eagle.

View attachment 750478

Wow that's some find! Beautiful coin.

MrLee

Mar 25, 2012
Tokyo & OC
Detector(s) used
Google Earth, BS Detector, $$
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been gathering items that I may encounter while detecting and digging holes in my backyard about 6 inches deep.

Lanny this is my first find. Can't say it was with my metal detector though. It rolled out from a book I brought home from Missouri into my lap. This is a $20 dollar Double Eagle.

View attachment 750478

If you have that kind of luck just opening books, I have no doubt you'll be finding good gold with your GB2!

NJnuggetpirate

Bronze Member
Feb 14, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Garrett PRO POINTER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone,

Well I did not shell out thousands of dollars but its my beginning rig into searching for gold. Now I am not going to say that down the road other gear may at my disposal but lets see if I find the yellow. Now about that little kitty to my left. Here are some additional photos. He was perched on top of a 30 plus foot Saguaro. As you can see alseep at one point. Here is a link to a thread I posted to this question, Strangest encounter you've ever had while metal detecting? Link --->> http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/everything-else/234795-strangest-encounter-you-ve-ever-had-while-metal-detecting-2.html

View attachment 750423

View attachment 750424

View attachment 750425

View attachment 750426

View attachment 750427

is your picture of a linx or another type of wild cat

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Lynx and Bobcat are two different critters. Lynx are larger, have longer legs and extended
ear tips (1" plus). Lynx hang out in HIGH country, and I doubt there are but a few living in
AZ, and then only up in the very high country above 6000 ft.

Bobcat are smaller (typically 15-20 lbs), and live in lowlands and higher country,
and their ear tufts are substantially shorter (like 1/2"). They may be part of the
same "Lynx" family, but they are two, uniquely different cats that inhabit different
territories.

Mike

Last edited:

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
The Legend, Anfibio Equinox 900, Gold Kruzer, XP Deus, ORX, Tesoro Tejon, Whites GMT, Falcon MD20, XP MI-6, Fisher F-Pulse, Pulse Dive, Vibra Probe, UniProbe.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I think that one thinks he's a Pole cat.:laughing7:

I'm a predator hunter, and I don't think I'd have the heart to take that shot.

In our neck of the woods (Arizona) we call them Bobcats.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

I'd have to agree with ya there. Even "back in the day" when I did all my predator
calling and trapping, I think I would be more inclined to try and help that critter
get off that Saguaro without getting a sphincter full of daggers, and the cat would
have to know that "backing down" is not going to be an option here.
duh.gif

Only thing I can think of that would put a cat up a Saguaro would be a pack
of hounds, or a pack of Javelina.

You don't have Kit Fox over in Colorado, do ya? Looks kinda like a midget
Grey Fox, but the tail doesn't "flow" like a Grey's will, rather it has hair more like
a coyotes tail.

In the So. Cal deserts, Nevada and Arizona they are getting a pretty big population
(or were 20 years ago), and were a protected critter. Unfortunately, Kit Fox aren't too
bright and tend to walk right up to the stand looking for dinner, and even when ya yell
at 'em and try to run them off the little bastages just keep come back. I've even shot
bottle rockets at them (after we've given up on a critter coming in), and they did
run off for about a minute, but the first squeak on that call and they'd be right back
again, running all over looking for that dying critter.

They were cute to watch, but a real PITA if you actually wanted to get a cat or
coyote to come in.
GAAAHsmiley.gif

Last edited:
OP
OP
AzViper

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

If you look closely the first photo shows the roof of a home so taking a shot would be a no no. From my understanding this Bobcat makes a habit of going to the top of the Saguaro. Maybe he is using the high vantage point to locate his next meal. The Bobcat was down from the Saguaro within an hour after the photo was taken. Bobcats will breed with domestic cats given the chance. We have a few Bobcats near work that appear to have done just that.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you look closely the first photo shows the roof of a home so taking a shot would be a no no. From my understanding this Bobcat makes a habit of going to the top of the Saguaro. Maybe he is using the high vantage point to locate his next meal. The Bobcat was down from the Saguaro within an hour after the photo was taken. Bobcats will breed with domestic cats given the chance. We have a few Bobcats near work that appear to have done just that.

And here I was thinking what a kind thing it would be to help that kitty down.
budo.gif

Crap, if his pads/claws are that tough, then he can get his own arse out of that spiney buggar!

NJnuggetpirate

Bronze Member
Feb 14, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i thought bobcats were like linx as well i didnt know they could stand the heat always thought them to be cold weather animals

NJnuggetpirate

Bronze Member
Feb 14, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd have to agree with ya there. Even "back in the day" when I did all my predator
calling and trapping, I think I would be more inclined to try and help that critter
get off that Saguaro without getting a sphincter full of daggers, and the cat would
have to know that "backing down" is not going to be an option here.
duh.gif

Only thing I can think of that would put a cat up a Saguaro would be a pack
of hounds, or a pack of Javelina.

You don't have Kit Fox over in Colorado, do ya? Looks kinda like a midget
Grey Fox, but the tail doesn't "flow" like a Grey's will, rather it has hair more like
a coyotes tail.

In the So. Cal deserts, Nevada and Arizona they are getting a pretty big population
(or were 20 years ago), and were a protected critter. Unfortunately, Kit Fox aren't too
bright and tend to walk right up to the stand looking for dinner, and even when ya yell
at 'em and try to run them off the little bastages just keep come back. I've even shot
bottle rockets at them (after we've given up on a critter coming in), and they did
run off for about a minute, but the first squeak on that call and they'd be right back
again, running all over looking for that dying critter.

They were cute to watch, but a real PITA if you actually wanted to get a cat or
coyote to come in.
GAAAHsmiley.gif

they look like little tiny dogs right and have big ears

NJnuggetpirate

Bronze Member
Feb 14, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And here I was thinking what a kind thing it would be to help that kitty down.
budo.gif

Crap, if his pads/claws are that tough, then he can get his own arse out of that spiney buggar!

what if he moves the wrong way and gets spiked in his family jewels ahahaha literally is the worse case scenario

OP
OP
AzViper

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Yea I would not have the heart to take that shot either. Just seeing him on top of that cactus is cool.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions