Pump for 2 inch dredge

happyharvick

Nov 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im helping my older brother build our first dredge, we already have the frame and floats built up but pump is really what is holding us back from finishing. From what I've seen all the manufacture 2 inch dredges use the Honda gxh50, which seems kinda expensive. Are there any other decent options that aren't as pricey?

Any other tips on building a dredge would be appreciated as this is our first try.

Timberdoodle

Oct 17, 2012
Kingfield, Maine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm with Reed, there are cheaper pumps out there that will run a dredge and can run a HB combo, but when it comes to weight on a floating dredge, you can't beat the Honda. You would probably have to add major floatation for most of the other possibilities. You can also ramp up to a 2 1/2" with the pump also for the next build.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can use one of the many semi-trash pumps available, but as mentioned above you get a MUCH bigger motor and pump which adds a lot more weight and changes the placement of everything.

Armchair prospector

Jul 31, 2011
For My 2 " dredge

IMG_1244.JPG

Timberdoodle

Oct 17, 2012
Kingfield, Maine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also use a WX10 for my 2" dredge, However, I use it with a special 4 jet venturi designed for the limited volume of the pump to still reach 30psi and draw 80gpm while using only 20gpm. A wx10 with a standard off the shelf suction nozzle or log jet would be substantially underpowered. A infinity/couple jet would also work with it. AP are you using a special jet? A off the shelf wx15 will get ok suction with a 2", but the Honda with a HP pump will really do the job and more. The thing to keep in mind is that a standard suction nozzle or log jet have close to a 1-1 ratio of draw gpm vs jet gpm. To get 70gpm suction draw, you need close to 70gpm supplied to the jet at pressure. If you are looking at other pumps, you want to look at pump curves and find a pump that can deliver 60-70gpm @30psi to even get close to the range that the small Honda with the HP pump can do.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
God bless Briggs and Stratton as never let me down in over 55 years. Pay a few extra bucks for a high pressure pump from keene,proline,gold king,nugget,dahlke,whatever as in the end you'll be MUCH better off-John

AimSmMissSm

Jan 9, 2013
I agree with Reed and Timber on this one. Honda all the way and remember buying Honda is buying American we have all had this discussion on another thread.

Gelmac

Apr 30, 2012
Sudan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Honda's are always the key to many miners. A bit pricey for sure especially if you have to import it from overseas. Not trying to hijack the thread, but will a 4 jet venturi or infinity jet as Timberdoodle mentions coupled with a semi-trash or trash pump do the trick ? Will save a lot to spend on other parts of the dredge.

Rdg Sluicer

Dec 11, 2012
Redding, Ca
Detector(s) used
BGT Prospector

BGT Super Mini

Angus MacKirk Explorer

South Yuba Mining Highbanker
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You get what you pay for..... Honda is hard to beat.

Gelmac

Apr 30, 2012
Sudan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agree Alan. Most of the pumps sold here are Chinese or Indian ones, if you found a Honda it is "Made in China" as well !! Of course not all Chinese made products are bad , they have improved in quality over the years , still they make and sell junk along side the good stuff.

AimSmMissSm

Jan 9, 2013
Honda builds engines here in the U.S.

http://corporate.honda.com/careers/honda-companies.aspx

They have been employing Americans here in the U.S. Since 1959 so buy American. Yes they make engines in China, France and other countries too but for years they have been building and selling American made power equipment and engines. Just do a simple Google search " Where are Honda engines made".

BUY AMERICAN BUY HONDA

Gelmac

Apr 30, 2012
Sudan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I meant by (here) in Sudan,Africa ! of course you have the real Honda in the US, no doubt. And yes, I know Honda has manufacturing facilities in the US as well. Here in Sudan all but a few are Chinese copies :(

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread