Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000
Upvote 0

PENNYHUNTER

Aug 19, 2007
Orangvalle
Detector(s) used
explorer se,excal 1000,whites MXT,and a E-trac
I use mine all the time because around here the ground is very moralised and the coins all take on the same color as the soil so all i need to do is stick the pinpointer in the hole to see where the target is. It saves me alto of time

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Purpose of Handheld Pin pointers

I use mine all the time because around here the ground is very moralised and the coins all take on the same color as the soil so all i need to do is stick the pinpointer in the hole to see where the target is. It saves me alto of time

If you have dug a plug and laid it on a piece of plastic, you can run the pinpointer around the plug to see if the object is in the dirt. The piece of plastic saves the coin from getting lost in the grass. If it isn't in the plug, you stick the end in the hole and see if the object is on the side of the hole or see if you need to remove more dirt. Put all the dirt on the plastic so you can get it all back in the hole.

Farmercal

Mar 20, 2003
Earth
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, X-Terra 70 & Excalibur 1000
I only use the pinpointer if I can't initially find the object detected. Normally I can find most coins without it but sometimes the coins is on its side and ends up being to the left or right of the hole or is in the dirt I already removed. Wish I had one years ago when I spent a half hour finding those stubborn coins or left without the coin because I felt the hole was big enough already.

detectordave

Apr 6, 2005
Ann Arbor Meechigan
Detector(s) used
DFX WITH DX-1 PROBE AND XLT WITH XL-1 PROBE
I used the bullseye II's untill I got tired of the switches going bad. I now have a DX-1. I dont know how people survive without a pinpointer. I remember the days of digging HUGE holes trying to find a penny hiding on its side in the grass roots. Now its just probe and go :). Hh dave.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
well they greatly aid in finding just were the object is thus keeping you from "dinging" a good coin and from digging a huge hole -- start a hole if the object is not found ---use the tip to find it --don't "ram" with it just wipe the surface area of the hole -- (many folks damage their pin pointers trying to use them as "probes") ---run up and down the hole --- left side / right side --- front / rear --- a good pin pointer is worth their weight in gold--- Ivan

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I leave home and forget my pinpointer...I turn around and go back and get it...If you dig a lot of coins you understand how well they use camouflage...

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use mine to find the coins in the soil, they do tend to be the same color and then you get small things earrings and such that are just so hard to locate.

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
Coins hide pretty good in the soil around here, a pinpointer is a must have. The craziest thing I find a LOT with my pinpointer is in the local sand pit at the park. Little tiny stainless steel washers about the size of a pencil eraser or a little smaller. They drive my machine nuts and it is almost impossible to find them without a pinpointer. Bobby pins are also really bad in the wood chip lots and gravel.

The new Sunray I have helps me pinpoint where to dig on targets 3 inches or shallower too.

mtntrekr2

Jul 15, 2007
berks county, pa.
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II 1000, Xterra-70 x3, Garret ace 250,
So far most of the coins I find with my ACE telling 2"-4" are usually only 1"-2" and with a new battery my Bullseye will pick them right out saving me from even digging a plug. I just pop them with the knife.
Joe

UnEarthed72

Jun 29, 2007
THE EMPIRE STATE
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,Whites prism2
I don't have a pinpointer yet,but after detecting without one for a while I really wish I did.

Example: I found a target and roughly narrowed it down with my coil.
dug out my plug(target was not in it) swung over hole again(got my signal again,dig deeper swinging my handfuls of soil over the coil(still nothing)swing again signal is still in the hole.Now that 4 inch target got me digging to 10 inches with nothing to show for it,so I run a screwdriver around the inside walls of the hole(a quarter drops into the hole).

with a pinpointer I would of found said quarters exact location in probably half the time.I'm sure you don't need to use one but it would sure save alot of extra digging time

~Shawn~

andre

Jun 17, 2007
I just bought a used pinpointer and what a time saver. I also can dig smaller holes and find more coins. Just started about two months ago and have found about $ 15.00 in coins and one sterling silver pinkie ring. I use a ACE 250. What a great easy machine right out of the box to use. Frenchfry

poppa19

Jul 22, 2007
western new york
Detector(s) used
whites dfx
pinpointers make easy work of wood chips also most of the time there is no need to dig just move pin pointer around to locate target.

OP
OP
warsawdaddy

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000
DFX-Gregg said:
you have 1435 posts and you are asking this.... ???
Yeah,I did.I've been reading everyday all the questions i.e.,do I need?Which one is best?How deep? So I thought maybe some people really are not sure what they are for or how to use and therefore,I was,am,hoping maybe this one question will satisfy all.Sorry if it disturbed you.

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
warsawdaddy said:
DFX-Gregg said:
Yeah,I did.I've been reading everyday all the questions i.e.,do I need?Which one is best?How deep? So I thought maybe some people really are not sure what they are for or how to use and therefore,I was,am,hoping maybe this one question will satisfy all.Sorry if it disturbed you.

Good job in trying to help.

have a good un.....
SHERMANVILLE

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
warsawdaddy said:
DFX-Gregg said:

Seems if asked...it gets covered very well each time...seemed repetitive...

EBCIII

Jul 24, 2007
DFX-Gregg said:
warsawdaddy said:
DFX-Gregg said:

Seems if asked...it gets covered very well each time...seemed repetitive...

Well it did help this newb. Thanks for asking the question, Beale.

Urban Prospector

Feb 21, 2007
N OC CA
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,Compass 94B & 77B
My bulls eye II seems to only see about two inches is that normal? I like the little light more then the detection.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread