cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I get more depth than the stock coil and still find jean rivets and stud ear rings 8" down. I just found a tungsten carbide ring at approx. 16". and have found gold/silver rings and quarters down to 18".

OP
OP
Acquisitor

Acquisitor

Jan 6, 2011
I get more depth than the stock coil and still find jean rivets and stud ear rings 8" down. I just found a tungsten carbide ring at approx. 16". and have found gold/silver rings and quarters down to 18".

how hard is it to pinpoint a target with such a coil ?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I get far more depth and coverage with 15" coils and have found .04 and .05 of a gram gold targets... I wouldn't be too concerned about the target sizes.. All I use at beach are 15 and 18" coils.

American by birth, Patriot by choice.

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

DnD

Aug 24, 2012
First Coast, FL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX, Nox800, Excal, Explorer, CZ, AT, Sea Hunter, DP Pulse & Diver, Surf PI, BHID, and BH
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Perhaps the biggest problem people have with the large coils is learning how to handle a scenario where the coil's footprint is over more than one target. I've used 15"-24" coils on my ML explorers and still found they can accurately pinpoint a single target. The large coils really work well at the beach or in rural areas. Another suggestion is to run auto mode with no discrimination, and you should have no problem picking up <1g targets like stud earrings.

FYI - larger coils are heavier and will quickly make you aware of play or flex in the shaft lock or multi-piece shafts. Might want to invest in a single piece straight shaft and a pro-swing harness. As far as water-hunting with one, they have considerably more resistance in water. Calm water lake hunting might be ok, but swinging a large coil in the surf can be a significant challenge!

redcobra8u

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2014
Los Angeles
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I need an opinion from an experienced user. I understand that a 15" coil allows to cover a larger area per swing, I also understand that a larger coil usually reduces sensitivity to small items. the question is: will excalibur gain depth with such a coil ? I need increased depth for relatively heavy gold rings. thanks for the help!

I just dug a 5g 10k wedding band at 18-20in with a 10in coil on mine. Not sure the added weight is worth it.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just dug a 5g 10k wedding band at 18-20in with a 10in coil on mine. Not sure the added weight is worth it.
That is the way I feel about the Excalibur. I use it on wet sand and I can usually detect targets deeper than I can retrieve them from, especially close to waters edge. I like the weight/ balance of the 10" Tornado.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread