Puzzled Over Pennies

coolpix9

Bronze Member
Jan 17, 2007
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Gang, I have been piling the pennies through my Ryedale and have come across a strange situation. After about 16,000 cents through the machine, I have yet to score any Wheaties. You would think my luck wouldn't be that bad. I have right at 3900 pre 82 copper pennies with no Wheaties to show for my efforts. Maybe I should just double the effort and hope for the best. Cheers and Happy Hunting, Jim

Upvote 0

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
That IS strange. I seem to average about 6 wheaties per box. And a box is $25, so 2,500 pennies. With five TIMES that amount through your machine, you should have about 30 wheat pennies. Or MORE, since my area seems to have lower amounts of copper overall than otehr areas. I'm running around 16% copper. Other areas are running as high as 22% copper, so I would think they get more wheats too. But, NO wheats? And you are showing about 24% copper if your numbers are accurate!

Are the coins from the Fed, or from a local bank? Maybe you are getting coins that hvae already been searched for Wheats. Not for copper, but for wheats. that is a good possibility. make sure you are getting full boxes, and that they are coming form teh fed. They should be rolled in plastic wrappers or white ones.

I bought a bag of 4100 of pennies and found zero wheats. I thin ksomeone went through them. Not necasarily the bank, but maybe whoever turned them in. Either way, I make sure i get Fed boxes now. I've had ten wheats in a box or two, and only once a box of 2, but I seem to get about 6 - 7 pretty frequently.

I'd change out my 1981 penny that is in the machine. Go to a new penny in there. (It won't make a bit of difference, but then if you get nothing, nothing has changed, and if you start to see a wheat or two then you'll think it changed your luck. LOL)

DrDetector

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT
I'd say you're getting someone's dumps. My average is about 1 wheat out of every 3 rolls, and copper is over 20% still. I don't save the copper Memorials, but I keep out the Wheats.

patpall22

Jul 4, 2006
Carmel ca/ Big Sur ca
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, whites DFX, XP DEUS, etrac and sandshark
That is odd. Where your results the same before you got the machine? I too average around one wheat in every three rolls.

OP
OP
coolpix9

coolpix9

Bronze Member
Jan 17, 2007
Primary Interest:
Other
I have been a silver hoarder for about a year. This is my first foray into pennies. The bank I am getting the bags from has 8 branches, all of them in tiny towns. If there is someone dumping 30-40 thousand pennies in these small towns, they would have legendary status. The tellers in this main bank know everyone. They have a coin cointer in every lobby so I would think I might be stumbling across somebody's coin collection. Oh well, at least this is keeping me out of REHAB. Cheers, Jim

Silver Stripe

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2007
USA
Them pennies are gonna put you in REHAB Jim hahahahahah. Order a bunch of boxes and see what happens. HH Mark

THEDUKE

Feb 20, 2007
Ocean County New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900/DI PRO SL
try another bank.
open a bank account in another bank and try it.

sounds like the area you live in someone may just be collecting wheats and dumping the rest back, they are in the same string of banks your using.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread