Puzzler

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
All I know about this for sure is that it's a uniface (what else ?), that it's half of a bi-polar reduction (part of the cortex shows at upper right), that I just got it, and that it was found in the Black Rock Desert, many years ago.

Due to some picture distortion, I was sure it was a big Limace until it arrived. But it's too thin for one, with edge angles too low -- in the knife range. Stranger yet, the lowest inch or so of the sides are ground. Which makes no sense, as the maker couldn't get the (pretty pronounced) bulb of percussion worked off the other side.

A hafted knife (despite the bulb) ? :icon_scratch:

An abandoned Hell Gap preform ? :icon_scratch:

A tad over four inches long.

Attachments

• DSC00264.jpg
    DSC00264.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 304
Upvote 0

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
I haven't seen any studies on the reduction strategy of a lanceolate point, but it certainly looks like what I'd expect to see for any of the hellgap, agate basin, etc. forms.

Are you sure it's from Black Rock desert in Nevada? In college I went rock hunting once in the Black Rock, and everything we found was just covered in alkali "frost" patina, also saw very little material that wasn't obsidian. It actually made hunting relatively easy because the color contrast was literally black and white.

Joshua

Neanderthal

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2006
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
The sides could be abraded heavily for thinning. You cannot strike at a weak platform without it being properly abraded (prepared), or it will detach prematurely, or completely crush the edge. I have found several used up points that had the tips ground pretty good. They were fixing to resharpen it and then lost it, or just said "what the hell" and discarded it.

How high is the centerline on the other side of that piece (ground section)? If it's up pretty high, then they can't thin it anymore without lowering it. The problem when working with bent spalls is that you will have to lose width and usually length to make it straight. A lot of aboriginal knappers didn't deem that necessary, so often didn't bother taking them down that far. If it was just going to be used as a knife, then aesthetics weren't as much of an issue to them.

The base also could be ground for hafting, or just holding. If it's a real large piece, then it's not uncommon to find bases abraded without any intentions of hafting. Makes it a lot easier to hold when you don't have to worry about cutting your hands, like the backed knives. A high percentage of Oklahoma Corner Tang knives are like that, having a very well ground top edge.

I like to encourage everyone to try knapping. It's not easy to do and most likely will take you a truckload of flint and a couple of cases of band-aids before you can even make something that you deem acceptable...but it's worth it. It not only will give you a new appreciation of the tools we find, it will also help you to understand you as to exactly how they are made, and why.

I also try to encourage people to try their hand at experimental archaeology, anything to further your education. Replicating not only how the tools were made, but how they were used also.

Uniface: I took some pics for you the other day, I just don't have them on the computer yet. I took images of some pretty well known blades (Lamellar) and flake tools for you. Remind me about them, cuz I have the worlds worst memory.

I typed too much, sorry. Not even gonna bother to proof-read this, hope you all can decipher it (good luck)..ha!

OP
OP
uniface

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
Joshuaream said:
Are you sure it's from Black Rock desert in Nevada? In college I went rock hunting once in the Black Rock, and everything we found was just covered in alkali "frost" patina, also saw very little material that wasn't obsidian. It actually made hunting relatively easy because the color contrast was literally black and white.
All I know is what the guy told me, Josh.

You may well be right, but the Black Rock desert, as I understand it, encompasses parts of three states and covers a lot of ground.

Neanderthal : As always, Thank You ! Your insights & advice is 24 karat, and welcomed as such. :hello2:

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
hmm, perhaps it's a large utilized flake knife, similar to paleo or early prismatic blades? I've seen many pieces with unexplained grinding in unexpected areas, maybe to grind off rough spots or deposits to fit the hand better? Nice piece and material, thanks for the show.

I second Neanderthals suggestion of trying to learn knapping, through trial and error you can really learn alot about lithic reduction and the thought process and decision making in relation to studying a worked piece of material.

OP
OP
uniface

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
I've done a bit of it, Thirty & Neander, years ago. Enough to know that the hard part is getting the big chunk reduced to a preform. From there, it's easy.

'Course, I mostly made uniface tools . . . :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread