Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When getting ready for my trip to Seattle I was trying to tune my 2500 to better pick up gold items since a lot of gold rings are found on beaches. A puzzling problem arose that I haven't figured out yet. When I was tuning the detector I was using various gold rings I have at home for static testing and they nearly all showed up with a mid-tone sound and appeared in the icon areas just left of the penny icon. However, the gold rings I have found in the ground came up under the nickel/pull tab icons. One ring, a 14k "nugget" ring I own always caused the overload tone to sound and showed up as a size "E" item although it was noticeably smaller than a quarter in area. I have not been digging those big fat shallow signals because they are invariably a soda bottle top or a piece of lawnmower slaw. So, I am now asking myself if I have missed a good gold target because of it? The obvious answer is, "probably". But the only good thing I have ever found falling under that icon and size range was a brass token. So, I guess it's right back to the "dig everything" theorem? That being the case, then a basic PI detector with a depth indicator feature should be the perfect detector. I have that in my Sea Hunter MarkII if only it would give me a depth readout. Is there a basic PI detector on the market that gives a depth readout? I don't know of one. If one exists I would like to try it and see if my theory works or if it is pure baloney as most of my bright ideas are! My question then has to be why isn't there such a detector on the market? Perhaps the electronics of a PI detector with a depth indicator is not a compatible combination? Beats me! So, if anyone has the answer, I would like to know. Perhaps this should go under the technical category for further discussion? Monty

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
that is strange monty.did the nugget ring come in as an e target even when the ring was several inches away from the coil? is the ring extremely thick and big? i have not noticed my 2500 behaving like that. dont get me wrong, in bench tests, the size id feature is not always correct, but it isnt usually that out of whack.
as far as the gold targets ringing in slightly more towards the nickle range than in air tests, the only thing i can guess is that the mineralization of the soil/sand must have something to do with it. i know on my ace 250 gold rings will almost always come in as a pulltab, and all gold ive found with the 2500 has been in the same pulltab range. i never really did any extensive air tests with my 2500, maybe i should check it out and see if i get similar results. when i do i will let you know how it turns out.

OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What is really puzzling to me is that it only does it with this one certain ring. Monty

Blackjack77

Jun 16, 2006
Minnesota
If I had found any gold- -I could help here. I'll try with My Wedding ring and give results.
Imaging with the 2500 is one reason I bought it. Doesn't appear to image very well past 6", usually past that maxes out
at "e" size and 12". I wish they had a Depth only switch, i believe with the Imaging feature there is a trade-off.
I would think since the Imaging coils have basically a transmit coil(antenna) and two recieve coils (antenna) there has to be reject and filtering circuits to handle rejection from the transmit coil. Maybe even a blanking circuit to sync TX and
Rx. The more circuits needed, quite posssibly effects depth and that depth issue would in turn effect the imaging.
Always there is a tradeoff. Having said all that-- I still like this unit alot. Not sure on average I want to dig much deeper than 6"-- too tiring and time consuming!!! ;D ;D
Overall I'm glad I picked this unit for the price- -really believe imaging is a PLUS!!
HH- -lets continue sharing our knowledge!!

Blackjack77

Jun 16, 2006
Minnesota
Ok- that last post by Me was very confusing.
Another example of My Brain being ahead of My typing skills :( :( :(
I actually did pick the right vocation--writer not being it!!

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
ok jim, i got the biggest 10k ring i have and did an air test. no matter what depth it was detected at it rang in as a solid hit in the "6" range. the size would fluctuate between a B and a C depending on how far from the coil it was.

Blackjack77

Jun 16, 2006
Minnesota
I also tried the air test with a 14ct gold ring. Rang in at about 6" ,Id'ed at 5-6, and gave a "B" size, 6" depth on imaging. Didn't ring if set to factory preset of "coin"-- "jewelry" setting it targeted.
Hope this helps.
I've maybe missed some rings!!

I also noticed tonite,I was down to about 2 bars on battery indicator-- targeting and imaging seemed less dependable.
changed batteries for a hunt tomorrow. will post results-- if any!!! :)

OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Blackjack77 I understand your post OK, you did good. That "nugget" ring is really large on one end with a large star ruby set and the angles of the setting are at obtuse angles therefore the reason the jewelers call it a nugget ring. It's not really a nugget it is just styled that way and is 14 k. The other rings are wedding bands and one very large FOP 10k ring with a big black and silver inset of the FOP emblem. That one ring when I lay it on the ground makes the detector go nuts, sounding that flat overload tone and the icon indicator bounces all over the place, really weird! I am going to see how it reacts to my other detectors. It may be a "stealth" ring! ;D Monty PS..by all means share information!@

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread