🥇 BANNER Qrter Stater Field - Day 5...16th C Gold Ring!!!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful day again & after our moderate success yesterday we were both ready for a bit of a slog, it seemed like payback time was due :P
We were nearly right because at the 2 hour point (total day was 3.5 hours), we only had 1 Roman coin & a few buttons. Once again the difficult field just blow me away with a Gold Ring that looked so Gold it had to be real old.....Although in the field I couldn't be sure it wasn't Georgian or Victorian so got the best surprise researching tonight :headbang:

Other finds of the day:
Barrel Tap Key
1897 Sixpence
Some good Buttons
1 Lead Token

This is what I think the Gold Ring is:
Man's high grade Gold (20kt+) Signet Ring
16th Century (maybe 17th)
The Heraldic image of the Rampant Lion derived from the 'Lion of Judah' which has close ties with Nobility, so whoever wore this ring was at least a Lord of the Manor. Its been used all across Europe & closely associated with Scotland.
The closest match I could find was in the Victoria & Albert Museum:
http://collections.vam.ac.uk/item/O119772/signet-ring/?print=1
Although mine is a different shape I have researched many other similar Octagon Gold Rings from the 16th-17th Century :blob7:
This will shortly be making its way to the British Museum, so might get a full answer in 12 months+ :laughing7:

I have never had such an amazing ring in all my detecting years, I hope this continues, but I think I have done in the rest of the year :tongue3: :laughing9:
UPDATE:

It's very unusual for me to sell ANYTHING I find. However, on some very rare occasions I can't afford to keep a find. This has only happened 1 other time in my detecting career, other than this one.

The British Museum handed back the Ring & valued it at £2500.

Today it was in Auction & achieved £4200!

So after costs (including straighting it), the farmer & I will recieve £1600 each. My best windfall ever, as my last object was £1150 each.

Brought by a US bidder (I think).
thumbsup.gif

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    111 KB · Views: 4,412
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    49.3 KB · Views: 4,268
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    145.7 KB · Views: 4,306
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    162.6 KB · Views: 4,319
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    75.3 KB · Views: 4,275
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 4,314
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 4,282
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 4,272
  • 9.JPG
    9.JPG
    74.3 KB · Views: 4,254
  • 10.JPG
    10.JPG
    68.8 KB · Views: 4,258
  • 11.JPG
    11.JPG
    42.6 KB · Views: 4,279
  • 12.JPG
    12.JPG
    47 KB · Views: 4,310
Last edited:
Upvote 18

Deno

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2008
Fern Creek Ky
Detector(s) used
XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cru, you have to be like the King of detecting over there.

Is that considered treasure?

That is a fantastic find.

You keep this up and you may hit the big one.

It is amazing at the history our hobby saves.

Congratulations on doing more than your part.

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Deno said:
Cru, you have to be like the King of detecting over there.

Is that considered treasure?

That is a fantastic find.

You keep this up and you may hit the big one.

It is amazing at the history our hobby saves.

Congratulations on doing more than your part.

Yes, assuming they agree its over 300 years old, it does have more than 10% Gold so is considered Treasure.

I still know a few who make my stuff look like trash :wink:

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
derfel said:
Wow that ring is a corker, why cant i find things like that on the river ;D

You could, & better, just spend more time :wink: :icon_thumright:

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Smokin' hot find!

All the best,

Lanny

Just some Guy

Dec 28, 2011
Ukiah CA.
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, Whites 6000 DIPro, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Amazing Find Crusader!! :notworthy: :notworthy:

Well Done

Dan

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just some Guy said:
Amazing Find Crusader!! :notworthy: :notworthy:

Well Done

Dan
Hi, welcome to Tnet & thanks,
Is that boba fett in your Avatar? He was my fav from Star Wars, sold all my original Star Wars figures some years back (with weapons & backing cards), but kept him back :wink: :icon_thumright:

Just some Guy

Dec 28, 2011
Ukiah CA.
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, Whites 6000 DIPro, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Crusader,

Yep it is Boba Fett, I figure I use a Bounty Hunter and there is no better than Boba Fett, I am a total Star Wars Fan. I have some colectables n stuff. it sounds like you had a great collection with all the backings and weapons Great stuff!! thanks for the welcome. and again what a great find.

Happy Hunting,

Dan

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Can I come live with you? I'll sleep under the bed, do laundry, mow the yard, wash dishes, paint the house...anything just to go hunting in your shawdow.

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just some Guy said:
Hi Crusader,

Yep it is Boba Fett, I figure I use a Bounty Hunter and there is no better than Boba Fett, I am a total Star Wars Fan. I have some colectables n stuff. it sounds like you had a great collection with all the backings and weapons Great stuff!! thanks for the welcome. and again what a great find.

Happy Hunting,

Dan

Yeap, did have a great collection, but sold most of it to fund other collections. I don't regret it as some of the ticket prices on the cards were ?1.45 & I sold them near to the peak some years ago. :thumbsup:

Got Treasure ? said:
Ausume find- Need help will work for pizza! lol
Mzjavert said:
Can I come live with you? I'll sleep under the bed, do laundry, mow the yard, wash dishes, paint the house...anything just to go hunting in your shawdow.
Cheers guys, just an average joe with an interest in History & lucky enough to have a great supportive team :wav:

hdmech71

Jan 25, 2012
wv
Detector(s) used
F75 se / Minelab Soveriogn / sunray probe/ whites classic Id/ pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I could only imagine the feeling when you dig up something like that. That is just amazing! I get excited just looking at it , gold gold gold gold gold feeeeviiiiirrrrre.

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hdmech71 said:
I could only imagine the feeling when you dig up something like that. That is just amazing! I get excited just looking at it , gold gold gold gold gold feeeeviiiiirrrrre.

It is easy to 'lose' some excitment, like comparing the time I found my first Roman Coin to the time I got my 1000th. However, something like this only comes around once in a lifetime & although I was smiling in the field, the real joy didn't come until that evening researching it. I just wasn't sure (although I wondered) when I found it if it might be Georgian.

Can't remember if I wrote about this part;

On the way back to the car we met up with the Land Owner who was walking his dog. We were pleased to see him as we needed to tell him about the recent Gold Coin & tell him this Ring was 'Potential Treasure' & would need reporting. I handed over the ring with the mud still stuck in the squashed hole & he quickly got out his car keys & 'cleaned' it out like it was a dirty washer :laughing9: :laughing9: (proving, excitment is just a matter of perspective)

jf504mp

Feb 15, 2008
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
I can only imagine the stories conected to a ring like that. Makes me wonder, who last wore it, what was their life like???????? So many questions, that is an amazing find!!!!!

CanadianTrout

May 21, 2007
Canada
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Well you did it again Crusader. No not the banner thing....

Another one of your finds led to hours of google searches, reading and studying history. The files on my desk at work are piling up as we speak... but I Thank You good sir, Thank You.

I feel enriched by researching your finds. One link leads to another, leads to another and leads to another. Next thing I know it's time to go home! LOL

Thanks Cru!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread