Dennis1209

Dec 23, 2018
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Etrac & NOX 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Technically anyway counting the clad dime :dontknow:

Anyway, with all this constant rain and muddy ground, finally had one decent day to try the old courthouse again last Saturday. Tried out my new coil (NEL Tornado 12' x 13") for the first time. Haven't come to a conclusion to compare it with my stock Minelab Etrac coil yet, because I didn't hear any deep signals over six inches that day. I almost didn't dig that worn Barber dime because it was only two inches deep. I'm old and have only so many ups and downs I can do. But something was different about the sound / signal I was getting. I wish I was at the age I could dig everything, but the ole joints say put the machine in selective mode.

Based on what I see on Youtube, I'm thinking a valve stem cover for an old model T Ford? Luck Y'all...

2-2-19 Finds.JPG

Upvote 30

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Nice hunt and I agree on the valve stem. Got any grandkids that like to dig??? GL & HH

tomhighland

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2015
In MI woods
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great finds. Definitely correct on the valve stem cover. Awesome relic, found my first one last year at what was a remote farm site back in the day.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
yep, the digging is what it is. older means being a little more selective at times but you did pretty good

TomW244

Sep 2, 2017
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pinpointer, Bounty Hunter Gold Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome hunt! I would love to see some closeups of the individual finds. I've never found a Barber dime, so living vicariously through posts like yours until I do keeps me going. Great work!

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great Hunt!
Three...?! I'd be Glad to get ONE-Silver-Per-Year...!

OP
OP
Dennis1209

Dennis1209

Dec 23, 2018
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Etrac & NOX 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome hunt! I would love to see some closeups of the individual finds. I've never found a Barber dime, so living vicariously through posts like yours until I do keeps me going. Great work!

Thanks! As we all know, the first three rules of finding old silver is location, location, and did I mention location :laughing7: I do my diligent research to discover old private and old public places near me where people lived and/or gathered, and try to get permission. I generally like places established or built prior to 1910 and earlier. The old adage of "no place is completely hunted out" is a fact, but finds are harder and harder to come by. I set my machine up as high and sensitive as my hears and brain can stand for max depth and swing the coil with just enough motion for it to detect and drag the ground with the coil. It seems these days at heavily hunted out areas, most good coins will hit in only one direction, so I like to grid a section and attack it from all four directions.

Another good tactic I like to use to weed out what others have missed, is a small coil in high trash areas, and right next to fences and sidewalks. Most MDers will pass on these areas because of EMI, trash and other interference. Plucked many a Barber and Mercury in old trashy pavilion and picnic sites with a 5" coil. Don't give up as you will find yours. H.H.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good job the big coils will lose depth on smaller targers coins etc but gain depth on bigger targets theres a cool write up on it by a Nel coil tech guy very infirmative keep uo the great finds

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice finds, congratulations! :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread