Quality of the "Garrett Metal Detectorist Backpack" very dissapointing

dirtyJohn

Nov 30, 2007
Whiskey Junction, IL
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD2, Tesoro Tiger Shark, DetectorPro Uniprobe, DetectorPro Pistol Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Quality of the "Garrett Metal Detectorist Backpack" very dissapointing

I saw an add for this http://www.garrett.com/hobbysite/hbby_detectorist_backpack.aspx Back pack and thought that it might be the most useful addition to the arsenal that I've made in awhile. The backpack looked great in the add and said you can carry a detector inside and strap another to the outside plus carry all your gear, which is great because I like to go off the beaten path quite a bit especially going out in the woods. I even saw a review of it on youtube with the guy singing it's praises, so I purchased one.

First off I can't fit my T2 (broken down in 3 pieces) inside it which is fine because I could still strap it to the outside and use the pockets for my gear, but not two days after I got it, the liner (shiney thin nylon material) between the biggest compartment and the second biggest compartment ripped at the top where the stitching is from me lifting it up by the handle. I guess it couldn't handle the weight which fully loaded is just 16 lbs (pathetic for a backpack).

Next where the tops of the shoulder straps are sewn to the pack are made of the same thin shiney nylon liner material. It makes no sense to make the part of the pack that supports all the weight so cheaply and weak. No way is this going to hold up to branches brushing up against it. One little nick that causes a small tear and that strap will rip right off (just like the liner did) if the stitching doesn't rip first. I don't even think I'd be comfortable bending down to dig a target while wearing this, because I don't think the straps can handle the strain. It also uses plastic zippers which
may be ok, I hope they hold up.

I first thought Garrett hit one out of the park with this backpack (great idea) but after seeing one close up, it's more like a swing and a miss.

I don't usually review products but I was really let down with this purchase. I guess quality is becoming a thing of the past in this country. It infuraites me to no end to see this kind of cheap stuff that I paid over $60 for, getting rolled out by companies that are supposed to have a reputation for quality, as Garrett does. Who does the quality control for these items? I'd rather spend more money on a quality product, then spend a decent amount of money on a cheaply made product. I hope you companies are listening

Good idea, terrible execution. Back to the drawing board with this one.
HH
John

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
Re: Quality of the "Garrett Metal Detectorist Backpack" very dissapointing

That's a bummer. I have used mine several times and it hasn't fallen apart like yours??? I have even carried a heavy wooden rocker box in mine and it survived. Give garrett a call and tell them what happened. They should look after you.

Attachments

• Image3.jpg
    Image3.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 1,474

goodmore

Nov 12, 2008
PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX / XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I carried less gear in the Army :laughing9:

Bearkat

Aug 12, 2007
Medford, Oregon
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Infinium LS/ Ace 250/ Scorpion Gold Stinger/AT Gold/AT Pro

I like my Garrett backpack...didnt think I would but I use it for my prospecting bag...

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal II, At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I got this pack with my new AT Pro. I used it to pack my metal detector as checked baggage twice. It is tearing at the strap attachments that dirty john said. This is really a P O S. Wonder if they will replace it with another pos?

OP
OP
dirtyJohn

dirtyJohn

Nov 30, 2007
Whiskey Junction, IL
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD2, Tesoro Tiger Shark, DetectorPro Uniprobe, DetectorPro Pistol Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Dave44 said:
I got this pack with my new AT Pro. I used it to pack my metal detector as checked baggage twice. It is tearing at the strap attachments that dirty john said. This is really a P O S. Wonder if they will replace it with another pos?
That's why I didn't contact Garrett about it as the previous poster suggested. What are they going to do? Redesign a new pack for me? I don't think so. It's to bad because it's nice and big can fit all my stuff, it's just made cheaply. I see minelab makes one too but I liked the fact that on the Garrett you can strap your detector to the outside for those long hikes to those hidden places. I have an old military pack with an exterior metal frame that I've used before. It's heavy but I can probably rig something up to strap the detector to.

P.S. I don't want to sound like I'm slamming Garrett, because their detectors are of good quality, and with a few small changes (mainly re-enforcement at a couple of key spots) this pack could be a quality product. I'll do it myself.
HH
John

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread