Indians posing as pulltabs

BillW313

Mar 13, 2009
Bethlehem, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm III Garrett's GTP 1350
I found my first Indian yesterday with my GTP 1350. The interesting thing is that it rang-up with a solid pulltab identification. My hunting buddy uses a White's and his Indians rang-up as bottle caps. I'm guessing the Indians are a different composition than Lincolns? Lincolns register as a solid penny on my 1350. It was good weekend as I also brought home a 1908 Barber dime and a 1947 Rosie along with quite a few Wheats. Hopefully winter will stay away from eastern Penna.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Because of components differences each detector can read the same target with different readings. Even the same model of the same brand can read differently. That is why relying on the screen is the down fall of detectorist. It is a comparative measure only and can't be relied on for accurate ID.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Sandman said:
It is a comparative measure only and can't be relied on for accurate ID.
If you relie on that ID on any detector .... You are going to miss a lot of good things........

Dwight S

Apr 26, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro & White's TDI & Tesoro Compass uMax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Something can be said for "DIG IT ALL"... ;D
I don't "cherry pick", I don't want to miss anything...
I may descriminate out iron sometimes, but even that is unusual.

I don't trust any detector's meter on ID or depth...
That doesn't mean that I don't look, I just don't trust...
I've found too many items that were deeper or more shallow than the depth meter.
I've found silver than read like clad.

Sound and repeatability.... Then dig until you find it.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The early ones Pose as Zincolns too

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
I have a 1250 & it reads my 5"+ deep dime as right between zinc & dime.
My AT Pro just reads it as dime. So some of the older Garretts may have a slight drop down on ID, but it will be consistent for the type of coin at same depth.

But, most of the difference is due to differences in metal composition. I had a Bounty Hunter Rustler once, search in VLF ground cancelling all metal, then switch to non-ground cancelling disc. I did that on a good sound in all metal that produced dead spot in disc set at pulltab reject. Dug anyway and it was a 1919-S penny. Best regards, George (MN)

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
on many machines --if one "notches" out the newer zinc cents --one will lose the older indain head cents as well * --its the metal make up of the coins , that causes the problem * - detectors measures a metal's electrical conductivity response to figger out what type of metal its found --sadly pulltabs and gold are of a highly similar "electrical conductivity levels" which is why it hard to sort out which is which --doing so is a "art form" all of its own --also modern zinc cents and old IH cents tend to overlap on the electrical conductivity scale * and thus mimic one another.

kayden

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Ace250,AT Pro & Garrett Propointer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keppy said:
Sandman said:
It is a comparative measure only and can't be relied on for accurate ID.
If you relie on that ID on any detector .... You are going to miss a lot of good things........
^ This! Dig em all!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread