Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i - Ace 250 (backup) - Garrett Pro Pointer - Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Quality vs Quanity... What is your best "Quantity" hunt

I had a really good night detecting... not quality wise... but quantity... it was a great night... and I like have those kind of nights every once in a while.

this time I found...
12 Quarters
22 dimes
3 Nickles
28 pennies
1 Key
Solid Brass Handle (1.275 lbs) (75 cents in Brass)

I have hunted this spot before and it produced about the same amount of clad... since it where kids play it has been repopulated with coins!

Chukers

This is my best quantity hunt in a long long time!

Attachments

• Clad.JPG
    Clad.JPG
    53.9 KB · Views: 1,611
  • Clad.JPG
    Clad.JPG
    53.9 KB · Views: 1,608
Upvote 0
OP
OP
chukers

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i - Ace 250 (backup) - Garrett Pro Pointer - Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Quality vs Quanity... What is your best "Quantity" night

What? no one has any Quantity vs Quality opinions?

Don't it just feel good to pop lots of coins out of the ground vs one or two good coins?

I like quantity and much as I do quality... some time its better... more fun... instead of digging a lot of junk and a few older coins.

Chukers

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

chukers said:
What? no one has any Quantity vs Quality opinions?

Don't it just feel good to pop lots of coins out of the ground vs one or two good coins?

I like quantity and much as I do quality... some time its better... more fun... instead of digging a lot of junk and a few older coins.

Chukers

Only just read it, I always have an opinion :laughing9:

There is an interesting discussion here. I think it goes well with a fishing/hunting backdrop, if your target species is Carp, no amount of Bream however big is going to satisfy the hunter. It could be the biggest Bream you ever caught but if your hunting big Carp you have failed. However, this assumes you are a specimen angler & looking for the Personal Best (PB) of your target species. If you are happy with what ever you catch, then your in a different bracket, maybe the pleasure angler. Neither one is the better man/woman as they get equal satisfaction from what they do. However, they both have strong opinions that their lot is the best in life.
When Dad & I started counting/recording our finds, it along with it's targets drives a certain behaviour. For the most part we want to beat our best year. However, I would much rather have quality & rarity over quantity but we find ourselves chasing scrappy Roman Coins to beat last year, maybe instead of hitting harder areas with less finds but a better chance of Rarity. So we like to find lots of stuff, but for the most part we want to spend the limited time we have in the right areas. This year I think we could not have tried harder but we still have no Gold Coin. Detecting is about never being satisfied with what you have got, only what you haven't. :thumbsup:

Then you need to add motivation, including selling or keeping & Historical (important to some, not to others), plus a whole load of other factors. Endless debate really.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

:icon_scratch:

Limited time :icon_scratch: I don't know anybody who goes more than you :laughing9: perhaps you should stay on fields for longer, instead of moving off :dontknow:

SS

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Silver Searcher said:

Limited time :icon_scratch: I don't know anybody who goes more than you :laughing9: perhaps you should stay on fields for longer, instead of moving off :dontknow:

SS

Sure you do, Hispan :thumbsup:

500-600 Hours a year plus Cru'Dads 500 is just not enough :laughing9: Seriously, you know how it works on ploughed land, the windows are small.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

CRUSADER said:
Silver Searcher said:

SS

500-600 Hours a year plus Cru'Dads 500 is just not enough :laughing9: Seriously, you know how it works on ploughed land, the windows are small.
True, I'm lucky that way, the farmer let's me stay on right through the winter :)

SS

baywalker

Bronze Member
Aug 24, 2011
Southwest Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett & Fisher
Minelab Excaliber II
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I get excited about every coin I dig even moor with an artifact especially one that I don't know what it is . I did not get in to this hobby to make money but to learn , explore and relax

Jonnie

Roland58

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 standard (last 3 yrs.)
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I really don't care about quality or quantity, as long as I am finding something besides a pull tab or aluminum sherd. Locating is a lot like fishing in the ocean, you just never know what you are going to catch!

I've never hunted at night, but, that sounds like fun. All of our city parks have curfews that don't allow anyone in the parks after dark. Maybe this is just a good way to hunt someplace you are not supposed to be???? :laughing7:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Silver Searcher said:
CRUSADER said:
Silver Searcher said:

SS

True, I'm lucky that way, the farmer let's me stay on right through the winter :)

SS
We now have 2 maybe 3 farms like that, problem is, its the wrong 3 :P We will try more 'blind' hunting, which can be fun sniffing out an area, if it exists :-\ All new land is exciting at the beginning, as you wonder, but then after several blank hours, your mind goes elsewhere. :laughing7:

Nate in Ohio

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2005
Cleveland, Ohio
Detector(s) used
DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I'm not really clear on the argument...if by quality, you mean enjoyment and pleasure in the hunt, then I usually care about doing the best I possibly can at the expense of a pleasurable hunt. Usually they go hand in hand but time is limited and a detectorist beyond the leisure stage isn't putting in all the work and time metal detecting just to get some fresh air. At the end of the day when I come home with my finds, I care about what I did with the trip and my time, not with how the details of the hunt went. If by quality you mean 1 barber dime versus decent clad for example, kinda the same thing for me, I'm more concerned with what I am accomplishing through my involvement in the hobby, and quantity of the lesser doesn't really measure up I think, to me.

SouthJerseyJim

Jan 8, 2009
Nova Cæsarea
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 LTD 13" Detech
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Before I started relic hunting exclusively I loved finding all coins and junk. I have to say that the relic bug has me by the you know what and I don't enjoy finding wheaties and memorial pennies anymore. I have a horrible habit of throwing them in my junk part of the pouch. When im on a potential colonial site and I pull a modern clad coin I get pissed! Money is money but once you have held something 300+ years old you get a hunger for it. I always say when I go out with my buddies "Just one button and Ill be happy". Mom does the beach thing and finds tons of coins and the occasional diamonds and gold but Its not my bag. Relic hunting has RUINED me :icon_pirat: :tongue3: All sense of logic fails me. Id rather find an intact colonial shoe buckle or a toasted copper than find clad or a gold ring..Is there a remedy for this? :help: ;D

underarock

Mar 27, 2011
Southeast PA
Detector(s) used
CZ-70
Primary Interest:
Other

Whatever makes you happy is whats going to work best for you. I'm on a silver coin quest before the ground freezes.

baywalker

Bronze Member
Aug 24, 2011
Southwest Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett & Fisher
Minelab Excaliber II
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Jim move to south F.L.

Jonnie

SouthJerseyJim

Jan 8, 2009
Nova Cæsarea
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 LTD 13" Detech
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

You guys don't even need sand scoops down there I hear! Now that may be a game changer...Finding gold rings,spanish coind and catching snook and reds all at the same time! hmmm :laughing7:

Lookin

Feb 15, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
White's MXT; backup - BH Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
Other

Whenever I am out and don't find anything really "significant," I do look at the pile of clad in my bag and think, "hey, it was worth the trip out!" What I don't really like is swinging away for to long with the mosquitoes eating the heck out of me, only to find that I had dug $.57 or so, mostly in decomposing zinc cents!! :tongue3:

Oh well, it is all good! HH

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Chukers, There are days when I like to go to a modern city park and just score multiple
coins and possibly a silver or gold ring - In terms of best quantity day out , I have gone over
20 bucks worth of modern coin a few times with a silver ring as well - you have to be pulling
quarters and dimes constantly to get there . Argentium.

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Quote by CRUSADER:

"Detecting is about never being satisfied with what you have got, only what you haven't got."

That is the best metal detecting quote ever!

Classic! :thumbsup:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

thrillathahunt said:
Quote by CRUSADER:

"Detecting is about never being satisfied with what you have got, only what you haven't got."

That is the best metal detecting quote ever!

Classic! :thumbsup:

Thanks, I thought of it whilst typing it out, first time used, I liked it as well :D

treasure 06

Greenie
Oct 15, 2005
Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I love digging old silver coins, but it doesn't happen that often anymore for me as all the old sites that produced the old coins have been hunted out. Now the majority of my hunting is devoted to getting clad. If I go out and get less than $10.00 in clad in a few hours I consider it a bad day, usually I do better than that. I have had a few days lately of over $20, but that involved hunting at least 5 hours. I do most of my hunting at schools as I find that they have more money than parks. I cash in all my clad about every month and use the money to buy coins for my collection, I look at it as free coins, gotta love it!

Roland58

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 standard (last 3 yrs.)
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Quote by CRUSADER:

I don't understand the statement.....how can one be satisfied with something you haven't got? Is that saying you would be happy detecting and never find anything? I'm dense and require explanations.....sorry. :dontknow:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions