Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i - Ace 250 (backup) - Garrett Pro Pointer - Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Quality vs Quanity... What is your best "Quantity" hunt

I had a really good night detecting... not quality wise... but quantity... it was a great night... and I like have those kind of nights every once in a while.

this time I found...
12 Quarters
22 dimes
3 Nickles
28 pennies
1 Key
Solid Brass Handle (1.275 lbs) (75 cents in Brass)

I have hunted this spot before and it produced about the same amount of clad... since it where kids play it has been repopulated with coins!

Chukers

This is my best quantity hunt in a long long time!

Attachments

• Clad.JPG
    Clad.JPG
    53.9 KB · Views: 1,612
  • Clad.JPG
    Clad.JPG
    53.9 KB · Views: 1,609
Upvote 0

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Quality vs Quanity... What is your best "Quantity" night

Roland58 said:
Quote by CRUSADER:

"Detecting is about never being satisfied with what you have got, only what you haven't got."

I don't understand the statement.....how can one be satisfied with something you haven't got? Is that saying you would be happy detecting and never find anything? I'm dense and require explanations.....sorry. :dontknow:

Your only be satisfied with something you haven't got yet (ie it's on the wish list), but when you get it, the satisfaction disappears (short lived). If you understand fishing & anticipation it's a similar concept.

If you had always dreamt of getting a gold coin, when you find it, you are instantly happy (satisfied), however your not satisfied enough that you give up detecting as a job well done. You want another one, but this time a bigger & better one/rarer one. So on...

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Think of metal detecting as a canvas and you are the painter. Very few painter's are satisfied with thier work. They are always striving for something better. That is what keeps them inspired and passionate about thier work. Many great musicians are the same way.

OP
OP
chukers

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

you guys are kinda getting off subject... I just wanted to know of other people's "quantity finds" This is by far not my best just the most in a while for me.

Keep the posts coming!

Chukers

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

chukers said:
you guys are kinda getting off subject... I just wanted to know of other people's "quantity finds" This is by far not my best just the most in a while for me.

Keep the posts coming!

Chukers
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,373401.0.html
best button day (1/2 day)

74 (I think) Roman Bronze Coins in 1 day (by myself), plus other finds

Quality comes in the mix.

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

My personal one day best is $51+ in clad found at 6 diff. elemenary school tot lots in the late 90's. :icon_pirat:

OP
OP
chukers

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

thrillathahunt said:
My personal one day best is $51+ in clad found at 6 diff. elemenary school tot lots in the late 90's. :icon_pirat:

its hard to find a place with lots of coins now days... we all have been hunting for a long time those virgin sites are just rare.

Chukers

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Quality vs Quanity... What is your best "Quantity" hunt

Hi my finds are just interesting and different

tinpan

antlerman23

Jun 6, 2011
Rochester Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Fisher F2 (DD coil)
Whites Classic ID
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

imo, a coin is a coin, and since i average about one old coin per twelve hours of hunting, i m happy with a few cents in clad at the end of the day. my best quantity day was 12 pennys, 2 quarters, and 6 dimes. its not much, but it was fun! :laughing9:

Dug1898

Sep 27, 2011
Fingerlakes Region, NY
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1236-X2 &
Los Banos Gold Bug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I'm kinda new at this; but check out my "207 clad quarters, so far" post if you want to see one of my quantity pictures. Then check out my "1879 Indian head..." post for a couple of quality shots...included here is my best find in one hole...8 clad quarters and 2 dimes...so, I guess for me it's fairground sites for quantity and old private sites for quality...now after this summer finding all that clad, I'm trying to find some quality sites where I can find some more old silver...but even a bunch of clad coins can be considered a quality find...it's just in how you look at it...I'll throw in a quality shot of an elephant I found on a beach in NY with an Indian head and a Barber dime...it's one of my best quality finds. Now that I think of it, I guess they're all quality finds to me.

Attachments

• 09 22 11 best find in 1 hole.gif
    09 22 11 best find in 1 hole.gif
    73.2 KB · Views: 1,302
  • 09 19 11 finds 2.gif
    09 19 11 finds 2.gif
    99.8 KB · Views: 1,319

HuntNdig

Oct 6, 2011
North Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

some days i prefer quantity over quality depending on where i am hunting. That is the main concern here. If i am hunting a highly populated area like a park or ball field, i expect to find quantity. I however look for quality in items while hunting older areas. I do like to go hunting for quantity a lot as i am new to the hobby and its awesome to get a pouch full of clad lol! My best day so far was around a basketball court in the local park, 125 coins worth $8 and some change, with 2 silver rings. I spent about 3 hours in the spot because the targets were every where!! I have gone back and cleaned up another $2 after about a month. I am waiting until next spring to hit it again as we have just done a lot of upgrades to our parks which i think will bring more drops!

spudnutt

Oct 22, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

My best day so far was about 3 weeks ago. After a ton of research located an old fort stationed from the revolutionary war through the civil war. My friend and I dug 200+ bullets and about 30 buttons. The bullets were mostly civil war. A few mini balls. Majority of the buttons were war of 1812 and colonial flat buttons.

Best thing about it is there's barely any trash at all! Everything dug up is buttons or bullets. We've been working the same 5 foot wide hole for weeks now and have never had a day with less than 60 bullets and 5 buttons. Barely have to even use the metal detector there. Wish I could share it with others.... but I'm gonna be greedy for now haha

OP
OP
chukers

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

spudnutt said:
My best day so far was about 3 weeks ago. After a ton of research located an old fort stationed from the revolutionary war through the civil war. My friend and I dug 200+ bullets and about 30 buttons. The bullets were mostly civil war. A few mini balls. Majority of the buttons were war of 1812 and colonial flat buttons.

Best thing about it is there's barely any trash at all! Everything dug up is buttons or bullets. We've been working the same 5 foot wide hole for weeks now and have never had a day with less than 60 bullets and 5 buttons. Barely have to even use the metal detector there. Wish I could share it with others.... but I'm gonna be greedy for now haha

I'd be working that site to death! good for you!

Chukers

Roland58

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 standard (last 3 yrs.)
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

thrillathahunt said:

Thrill, that is one heck of a day! I figured if you hunted for a full 8 hours and found nothing but quarters, you would have had to dig once every 2.3 minutes.......and, that would be over 204 digs. My ol' bod wouldn't be able to get down and back up 204 times in one day! :'(

treasure 06

Greenie
Oct 15, 2005
Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

All that up and down digging clad, especially when you dig over $20 like I do sometimes, it is good exercise for sure, but my back aches for a couple days afterwards.

Apr 22, 2011
Long Island, NY
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Excal II
Coinmaster Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

CRUSADER said:
Roland58 said:
Quote by CRUSADER:

"Detecting is about never being satisfied with what you have got, only what you haven't got."
I don't understand the statement.....how can one be satisfied with something you haven't got? Is that saying you would be happy detecting and never find anything? I'm dense and require explanations.....sorry. :dontknow:

Your only be satisfied with something you haven't got yet (ie it's on the wish list), but when you get it, the satisfaction disappears (short lived). If you understand fishing & anticipation it's a similar concept.

If you had always dreamt of getting a gold coin, when you find it, you are instantly happy (satisfied), however your not satisfied enough that you give up detecting as a job well done. You want another one, but this time a bigger & better one/rarer one. So on...
That explains it exactly!

Kneo

Greenie
Sep 26, 2011
Leominster, MA
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

My best was 5 silver quarters from a pocket spill back in the early 90s.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Cru'Dad read this & disagreed with me, it shouldn't be a Quality vs Quantity agrument, as he aims for a large Quantity's of Quality :laughing9: (shame he misses) :laughing7:

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Roland58 said:
thrillathahunt said:

Thrill, that is one heck of a day! I figured if you hunted for a full 8 hours and found nothing but quarters, you would have had to dig once every 2.3 minutes.......and, that would be over 204 digs. My ol' bod wouldn't be able to get down and back up 204 times in one day! :'(

Thanks, It was an awesome experience! I remember it as though it was yesterday! To my benefit though I think all except one lot was fine sand and all I had to do was scoop, grab and go. I remember one playground had over $20 in coins in it alone! :thumbsup: I recall finding a gold ring that day too. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread