Quarter at 27-inches? Oh Yeah Baby, and Silver to!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Had a fantastic day with Roger, a buddy who drove down from Glenn Falls, upstate, to try out a new product he has developed for heavy machines with big coils. Like me, Roger is a gold prospector and swings a Minelab GPX 5000, with an assortment of coils ranging from 11” – 25” HEAVY!

Of course the rain came down in buckets as we left White Plains for the Island, but by the time we were suiting up at the beach, it was a light drizzle. Joe joined us with his Whites PI, and we got to swinging.

I must say that the “Bullhorns” on the Minelab threw me off at first, but they do make the big machine and coil extremely easy to swing in a large arc, even helping to keep the coil flat at the end of the swing instead of “golfing” up. I can see how these new handles could be effective for folks with bad backs or shoulders, as the weight seems more evenly distributed out in front of you than using a side-mount Hip Stick.

The deepest hit of the day was a Quarter at 27” by the Minelab. Joe saw it happen as well, and then Roger found more 1960s coins another few inches under that after rechecking the hole. Freaking GPX machines are just awe inspiring! The deepest target I dug was about 12” – the red 1961 nickel, in wet sand. I got the Sterling Silver Crucifix at about 8” in dry sand. In fact all the clad, except one Quarter and the nickel, was in dry sand.

Not a great day target-wise but a solid six-hours of headphone time and a good test for Roger’s new Bullhorns. Gotta love a day at the beach with buddies!

Attachments

• j3.jpg
    j3.jpg
    233 KB · Views: 183
  • j4.jpg
    j4.jpg
    266.2 KB · Views: 108
  • j5.jpg
    j5.jpg
    251.5 KB · Views: 111
  • j2.jpg
    j2.jpg
    384.5 KB · Views: 95
  • j7.jpg
    j7.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 102
  • j8.jpg
    j8.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 131
  • j9.jpg
    j9.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 98
  • j6.jpg
    j6.jpg
    280.7 KB · Views: 91
Upvote 0

Aka Nameless

Aug 13, 2008
West Coast
Detector(s) used
Infinium LS, Tejon, F3, CZ21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What happened to the tests comparing the SS to the Dual Field?

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulation!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread