Quest for Mercs

obsessedwithsilver

Sep 26, 2009
Well, I managed to search over 2 thousand in hand rolled dimes this week in search of Mercury dimes. I only managed one but I also got a total of 15 silver Roosevelts along the way.

I also managed to get a 1963p Ben (I actually needed this one by my book), an extremely nice 40% silver 1976 proof, a 1977 proof, two gold plated 1976 halves and 2 40% halves.

Good luck next week,

OWS

Upvote 0

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
One merc in $2k is about right. I would be doing lots of dimes right now, but because my vault teller got wrote up for being off count (again), I lost the sweet setup that I had. They will now only accept rolled coin (even tho they have to unroll it all and bag anyway, what a joke). It had nothing to do with my bringing in bags of loose coin to dump.
Good luck with the search,

ffd

apush

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats! Never found a merc. Good luck with your 'quest' and I hope it brings you lots and lots of silver! You must have 'young' eyes. I tried doing dimes, but alas, it just killed my eyes!

apush

Silver Stripe

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2007
USA
apush said:
Congrats! Never found a merc. Good luck with your 'quest' and I hope it brings you lots and lots of silver! You must have 'young' eyes. I tried doing dimes, but alas, it just killed my eyes!

apush
Get some magnifying glasses at the drug store, 2-2.5X. If your lucky you can find some bifocaled ones where only the bottom is magnified. I use them for dimes and quarters both. Good light helps too, I find them flourescent bulbs to be the best. HH Mark

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
apush said:

apush

Here is what I use for dimes http://www.telesightmagnifiers.com/catalog/i410.html . I also have a pair of cheap, but powerfull reading glasses that I picked up at the pharmacy.
You may not need to, but it is also a good idea to use these aids when edge searching halves. Once in a while you will find a "fooler forty" with a pink/copper edge that can easily be mistaken for clad with the naked eye. You won't miss these with the glasses.
Great for removing splinters too.
HH
Rich

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread