Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

GMD52

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2013
Lake Champlain, Vt.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you're referring to the .50 cartridge, and not the black powder round, they are lead core with copper jacket. Specilized anti-vehicle and incendiary rounds are also encased in copper.

Dixiegal

Jul 8, 2012
GA
Detector(s) used
White 808, White Sierra Made, pulse induction, LRL
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
There is one AP .50 round that has a black tip and is steel core with copper jacket. Then there are the red tips which are tracers. Glows when it goes out has a copper jacket. Then there is a slap round which explodes on contact. Then there is a rolf round that explodes and penetrates on contact and comes out the other side like a shotgun blast.

Hendrix

Jan 8, 2007
Southeast Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Whites V3i
Minelab X-Terra Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are most likely looking at the copper jacket on the outside of the bullet. I found the following reference page on .50 BMG ammo: Caliber .50 Cartridges

OP
OP
D

dugin

Apr 6, 2013
southern IL
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2 w/3 coil pack
Recent Bounty Hunter Platinum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
why i am asking, I served in the military and have a couple .50 cal rounds, neutralized of course, which are jacketed. this bullet i recovered metal detecting I have cleaned up and can only get a brass colored reflection. I believe it may have been an uncle's of mine. WWII or Korea I think he served in both.

OP
OP
D

dugin

Apr 6, 2013
southern IL
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2 w/3 coil pack
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And as I said it is the PROJECTILE I am referring to

OP
OP
D

dugin

Apr 6, 2013
southern IL
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2 w/3 coil pack
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
2013-04-15 11.43.09.jpg How about this, a pic. I hope you can make out the difference in color.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There is one AP .50 round that has a black tip and is steel core with copper jacket. Then there are the red tips which are tracers. Glows when it goes out has a copper jacket. Then there is a slap round which explodes on contact. Then there is a rolf round that explodes and penetrates on contact and comes out the other side like a shotgun blast.
Dixie, it is clear you have an interest in ammunition that goes beyond the interest of most gals. Bravo! One thing, though (not to be critical, but to clarify) tracers do not "glow", the back of the round actually burns. It has a "cup" back there filled with a compound that burns.... possibly magnesium based. Go, girl, go! TTC

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread