Question about a sale where buyer does not pay, and you dont care if they ever do

WhiteTornado

Jun 18, 2013
Baltimore/DC area
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola, Garrett Pro-pointer, Sampson T-handle Shovel, Lesche hand digger, Garrett and Gray Ghost Ultimate headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Question about a sale where buyer does not pay, and you don't care if they ever do

I sold a bulky knickknack auction style and it only sold for the opening 99-cent bid. Ended last Sunday evening and buyer still has not paid.

Yesterday morning, I clicked the Send Invoice button as a gentle reminder to the buyer. Still no response as of this morning, so I sent them an eBay message that simply said, "Hello, I have still not received payment yet for the item". If they paid right away, I would have honored the sale and promptly shipped. But, since I am not getting any response, I would just as soon not have to deal with the packing and shipping of this bulky item.

Is there a way to just let it die on the vine while adhering to eBay rules and avoiding a neg?

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just open up an unpaid case. More than likely if they have not paid their not going to buy now. So it takes about a week for the case to go through anyways and actually close. So open the case and relist the item more than likely they're just deadbeats not going to pay. Lol

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Yup, what beachkid said. Also by opening a case you will be refunded the eBay fees...

Sent from a spun out toilet paper tube (one ply)!

OP
OP
WhiteTornado

WhiteTornado

Jun 18, 2013
Baltimore/DC area
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola, Garrett Pro-pointer, Sampson T-handle Shovel, Lesche hand digger, Garrett and Gray Ghost Ultimate headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info :occasion14:

NEPADIGGER7

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2013
Downtown Lehman
Detector(s) used
minelab safari,whites m6, AT Pro, Ace 250 and whites coin master, Garrett AT propointer (garrett carrot), Lesche hand digger, 5x8 & 8.5x11 DD coils for the Pro, Camera is Ion Air Pro 3
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
you cant open an unpaid case until 3 or 4 days after you sent an invoice. once the case is opened you have to wait a few more days until they either pay or do not pay. then you can relist the item and ebay puts a strike against the account.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I wouldn't just let it die on the vine as it might come back to haunt you.
What Beachkid and NEPADIGGER7 said is good advice.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
I am a member of several forums where ebay sales are frequently discussed. The number of threads I see where the seller could simply open an unpaid item dispute to solve their problem is astounding...

JustinNH

Apr 10, 2012
NH
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you cant open an unpaid case until 3 or 4 days after you sent an invoice. once the case is opened you have to wait a few more days until they either pay or do not pay. then you can relist the item and ebay puts a strike against the account.

Its from the auction end, not invoice sent. I send invoices at day 2 or 3 and then eBay opens the case on day 4.
But yeah, once the case is open, it is another 4 days before you can relist

OP
OP
WhiteTornado

WhiteTornado

Jun 18, 2013
Baltimore/DC area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks again. I'm not even going to bother relisting it.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's my two cents...

If you just let it die on it's own, you will still be charged the final value fee from ebay. Other than that, I wouldn't worry about it. They didn't pay and you don't want them to pay, so why open a case? It'd be my luck, if I opened a case, they would end up paying and I would end up having to ship the darn thing. So unless you're worried about the final value fee, let it ride.

Also- I put a disclaimer at the bottom of all my listings stating that all payments must be made within 4 days or it will be relisted. You can technically open a case after just 2 days.

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
If it only sold for a buck, final value fee is $0.10. Not worth the hassle to get the dime back, imho. However, if you relist, and sell it, they could decide at that point to buy it, right? At what point does eBay say the sale is no longer valid?
You can also do cancel the sale, but I think the buyer has to agree to it.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Bassmaster96

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its from the auction end, not invoice sent. I send invoices at day 2 or 3 and then eBay opens the case on day 4.

Yeah, I think I have probably done it before without sending an invoice. One of those where the buyer says that they are not going to pay and don't care. :BangHead:

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
My take on this....

We keep our own house straight, first and foremost. Leave nothing around to bite us.

File proper complaints and close this out so it will never return to haunt you.

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
This^^^^^^^

Sent from a spun out toilet paper tube (one ply)!

OP
OP
WhiteTornado

WhiteTornado

Jun 18, 2013
Baltimore/DC area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My take on this....

We keep our own house straight, first and foremost. Leave nothing around to bite us.

File proper complaints and close this out so it will never return to haunt you.

Yes, thanks, I wanted to make sure I did not leave any loose ends, so I opened a non-paying bidder case. I also added the bidder to my blocked list.

dumpsterdiver

Dec 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am a member of several forums where ebay sales are frequently discussed. The number of threads I see where the seller could simply open an unpaid item dispute to solve their problem is astounding...

Yes but sometimes that encourages them to pay. If it only sold for .99 cents I would just eat the commision and do nothing. If he pays the seller is probably going to be out more money from shipping.

NEPADIGGER7

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2013
Downtown Lehman
Detector(s) used
minelab safari,whites m6, AT Pro, Ace 250 and whites coin master, Garrett AT propointer (garrett carrot), Lesche hand digger, 5x8 & 8.5x11 DD coils for the Pro, Camera is Ion Air Pro 3
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Justin time starts when u send an invoice.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Justin time starts when u send an invoice.
Not true. Time starts when the auction ends or the buyer clicks "Buy It Now". I never send invoices. It's not required. eBay will let them know they have won and what they owe, and they will give them a button to pay. You may send one if you choose, but you don't have to. Stop trying to pass off false information please.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread