Question About Bags

Wickaboag

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2012
New England
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey all, Wicka here :hello:
Don't send me to the Beginners guide for this one ;)
But what do you guys think about hunting in Coin Machine Bags?
Anyone got any averages they'd like to share? I got the good news today that I (could) buy bags from the machine if I wished,
Hoping to hit it big like some people have been around here ;) Been doing very well in boxes, but if one person dumps a small amount of silver.. That makes it all worth while! There is NO HALF DOLLARS in the machine, just quarters, dimes, nickels, pennies
Think it'd be worth it? It would probably be my once a week hunt, got to ask if I could bring them back in bags, or just waste a half hour and throw it back in the machine, but that'd be a waste of time, also I'm worried about being shorted on the bag, but HAVE NEVER been shorted on counting with the coins. Always get the EXACT amount, it's a brand new machine (only a year old) so I'm thinking it might be a good idea?
Hoping to get atleast a couple silvers per a bag. :\
Anyone with input?
Regards,
Wickaboag :hello2:

Upvote 0

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
without reading the post(i read your PM), go for it!!! bags have the greatest potential for a mega score, it's all great when somebody posts a quarter bag with 150+ silvers in it, or a dime bag with 75+ keepers in it, but you also have to consider the potential loss that could come with purchasing a bag. An old saying says, greater the risk, greater the potential return. also, greater the risk, greater the potential loss.

good luck
hh
buff

OP
OP
Wickaboag

Wickaboag

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2012
New England
Primary Interest:
Other
without reading the post(i read your PM), go for it!!! bags have the greatest potential for a mega score, it's all great when somebody posts a quarter bag with 150+ silvers in it, or a dime bag with 75+ keepers in it, but you also have to consider the potential loss that could come with purchasing a bag. An old saying says, greater the risk, greater the potential return. also, greater the risk, greater the potential loss.

good luck
hh
buff

That's why I'm hesitant to start.. Don't wanna loose any money ofcourse! I mean, boxes, there are no risk. :\
But definitely true about the bigger the score.. That'd be great!
Well, Thanks!
Wicka

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what i have done in the past to cover my shortages(those $2-3 shortages using the coin counter do add up), I sell some 40% silvers to make up for the loss, though i have not sold in a while, might have to sell again if silver hits $40/oz to make up for about $30 in losses over the last few months(i do not take from my crh funds, and only add to it if i sell silver from my crh)

OP
OP
Wickaboag

Wickaboag

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2012
New England
Primary Interest:
Other
what i have done in the past to cover my shortages(those $2-3 shortages using the coin counter do add up), I sell some 40% silvers to make up for the loss, though i have not sold in a while, might have to sell again if silver hits $40/oz to make up for about $30 in losses over the last few months(i do not take from my crh funds, and only add to it if i sell silver from my crh)

Like I told ya, I regret selling mine, they are all tray finds, nothing in my (1) box of halves :P Really regret it :(
But, gotta do whatcha gotta do! hoping silver goes down a little bit, might buy some halves, quarters, or dimes.
Wickaboag

Easy

Banned
Jul 9, 2012
Freakmont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would Definitley try it. It may be good maybe bad but you won't know until you try. So try it and tell us how many silvers you score!

Local_coins

Nov 24, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have only come across one counting machine in my area and I have been to every bank I could find. If they said yes, I would not think twice about at least trying it once. Good luck!

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
I search bags/teller trays mostly exclusively now.

I think its overblown how much bags can/will short you. Yes, chances are you WILL be off here and there, but I've never had anything dramatic happen like a $50 bag of pennies only having $30 in it. My averages for bags are about the same as boxes overall, but I have scored a handful of collection dumps in bags (1 of pennies, 1 a small hoard of war nickels) along with steady silver.

The biggest benefit for bags is (especially on a self-service coin counter) the banks can't really say you are making them lose money (aside from perhaps the minimal cost of a bag) in fact, by taking a bag and dumping it at a different bank you are saving the bank money (don't have to pay per bag for the coin supplier to take it away).

madwest

Jun 24, 2011
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
Other
To answer your question about averages. My average with qtr bags is 0 (zero) per bag of $1000. My average with dimes is 5.5 per bag of $1000. My average for nickels is 2.5 per bag of $200.

Based only on average returns, it looks like nickels give the best return. But, nickels take 15x as long to search as does dimes (for me anyway - YMMV).

As for other input, beware:
... got to ask if I could bring them back in bags, or just waste a half hour and throw it back in the machine ...
If you take coins back to your supply bank - loose or in bags, they will sour on you pretty quickly. You need to find a dump bank different from your source bank IMO.

OP
OP
Wickaboag

Wickaboag

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2012
New England
Primary Interest:
Other
I would Definitley try it. It may be good maybe bad but you won't know until you try. So try it and tell us how many silvers you score!

Hey Easy, glad to see ya posting,
Worried if I try it and get skunked that ties my funds up for atleast a week, it'd take a long time to look through it. Know what I mean? I'm sure I'd get (something) atleast..
But not sure if I wanna leave my secure 1-10 silver dimes per a week for a risky.. 0-10,000 dimes. :o
Wicka

Easy

Banned
Jul 9, 2012
Freakmont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Easy, glad to see ya posting,
Worried if I try it and get skunked that ties my funds up for atleast a week, it'd take a long time to look through it. Know what I mean? I'm sure I'd get (something) atleast..
But not sure if I wanna leave my secure 1-10 silver dimes per a week for a risky.. 0-10,000 dimes. :o
Wicka

Forum has been pretty crappy lately. Not very many interesting posts.....

OP
OP
Wickaboag

Wickaboag

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2012
New England
Primary Interest:
Other
Forum has been pretty crappy lately. Not very many interesting posts.....

Yeah, everything interesting gets moved pretty fast around these parts, only made this post because there was nothing going on :P
Happy Hunting!
Wickaboag.

Long Jon Silver

Greenie
Aug 27, 2012
Live Free Or Die
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i say if u can get a bag, do it. ive been looking for a bank that would sell me bags. i havent found one yet, but if i do, ill definaitely buy. i wouldnt dump at the same bank. there wouldnt be any gain for the bank. just another headache. u always wanna be on their goodside. in a way, tellers can be your best friend or worst enemy. just my opinion. good luck with it. i heard of some really great scores with bags. hh. jon

OP
OP
Wickaboag

Wickaboag

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2012
New England
Primary Interest:
Other
i say if u can get a bag, do it. ive been looking for a bank that would sell me bags. i havent found one yet, but if i do, ill definaitely buy. i wouldnt dump at the same bank. there wouldnt be any gain for the bank. just another headache. u always wanna be on their goodside. in a way, tellers can be your best friend or worst enemy. just my opinion. good luck with it. i heard of some really great scores with bags. hh. jon

Thanks Captain!
What denomination would you search?

Long Jon Silver

Greenie
Aug 27, 2012
Live Free Or Die
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would search em all. Start with dimes or nickels. Those usually pay off better. Then id do quarters. Everyone says they're dead, I search quarters here and there. I found one in my last two boxes. Just picked one up today. Haven't searched it yet. Bags are just as good as cwr. Just gotta be at right place at the right time. Any collection can be dumped at any time. Good luck with the bags. If u dont mind me asking, what bank are u getting the bags from?

OP
OP
Wickaboag

Wickaboag

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2012
New England
Primary Interest:
Other
I would search em all. Start with dimes or nickels. Those usually pay off better. Then id do quarters. Everyone says they're dead, I search quarters here and there. I found one in my last two boxes. Just picked one up today. Haven't searched it yet. Bags are just as good as cwr. Just gotta be at right place at the right time. Any collection can be dumped at any time. Good luck with the bags. If u dont mind me asking, what bank are u getting the bags from?

There are no "big banks" around me, in a small town in Massachusetts, if I told you the bank, it'd give away my town ;)
Small bank, it has a branch in my town, and the town over, that's it!
Wicka

TimZim

Bronze Member
Aug 3, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds good!! I worked for a old bag today.

Wilmingtonsilver

Sep 6, 2012
SE North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will let you know as soon as the half bag at my supply bank gets that last $99.50 added to it, and they call me to buy it. I am picking up a box of halves tomorrow and I plan on telling the vault teller that I will be happy to buy the nickle, dime, and quarter bags as soon as they fill up too. I don't know if this machine rejects silver or not, but I figure if i go through all of the bags, then it probably does. I know this town has silver in it, because i got a CWR half today out of 3 rolls. With this being the only bank machine in town it should have some silver in it I would think. that is of course if the machine doesn't reject the silver.

MrSchulz

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2012
DeWitt, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Custom Recovery tools, Nupla Prb4t Soil Probe 60 IN,
Primary Interest:
Other
I do two bags of cents each Thursday (only time I can buy the bags) I've gotten 3 IHC, and over 100 wheats in one bag.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
I will let you know as soon as the half bag at my supply bank gets that last $99.50 added to it, and they call me to buy it. I am picking up a box of halves tomorrow and I plan on telling the vault teller that I will be happy to buy the nickle, dime, and quarter bags as soon as they fill up too. I don't know if this machine rejects silver or not, but I figure if i go through all of the bags, then it probably does. I know this town has silver in it, because i got a CWR half today out of 3 rolls. With this being the only bank machine in town it should have some silver in it I would think. that is of course if the machine doesn't reject the silver.

Just fill it up with $99.50, as the halves can take really long to fill up.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread