corpsman

Jul 7, 2015
Nashville, TN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Tesoro Vaquero
Had: Tesoro Cibola, Tesoro Bandito 2 uMax, Tesoro Bandito 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I've been using my deus with the 9" coil for relic hunting. it does pretty well, but I was thinking about getting the 11" coil to add to my coverage area and depth. the greater depth is what I'm really after. so, my question may not be specific enough, but here it goes... I'm relic hunting in TN, and I'm wondering how much depth should I gain going from the 9" coil, to the 11" coil, on average, under normal conditions?? I'm mainly looking for civil war bullets and buttons. I usually run around 12 kilohertz.

gwdigger

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
Ocean City, Md
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm on the East coast and while there is probably depth benefit with the bigger coils I'm not so sure its worth buying one. Seems I am able to tweak the heck out of my 9" and get incredible depth - REALLY hot settings I can't use well with the bigger coils, if at all. Thats my limited experience in Eastern Maryland. I own all 3 coils by the way.

OP
OP
C

corpsman

Jul 7, 2015
Nashville, TN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
thanks for the info. it seems like 8" is about where the signal starts getting iffy on a .58 3-ringer.

gwdigger

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
Ocean City, Md
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The 11 & 13 do give clearer signals for stuff just barely in range. Thats what I notice. But I consistently find more stuff with the 9 instead of the 11 or 13. And that stuff isnt shallow.

OP
OP
C

corpsman

Jul 7, 2015
Nashville, TN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I got cha. I've had great luck with the 9" coil, especially in heavy trash. I dug some killer confederate bullets that were about 8", and the signals just weren't very good at all. I need to go back with something that will reach down deeper, in case there are some just out of range.

gwdigger

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
Ocean City, Md
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Was messaging with Bonepicker & he says he's pretty sure he gets better depth with his 11". Our soil is benign which might be giving me an advantage with the 9"??? I know Vino said he gets better depth in PA with his CTX but I did thorough tests on various fields here in MD and the Deus went just as deep on every single target and even did much better with tiny targets at depth.

Just want to pass on this info. Maybe someone from your area can chime in. I could be comparing apples to bowling balls if our soils are a lot different.

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I still have a lot to learn about this machine, but I do feel like I get greater depth with the larger coil.
However, if the site is really trashy the smaller coil is easier to use, but I think that is how all machines work.
So if youre an amateur like me, id suggest you try a larger coil for increased depth before giving up on the machine.
I can hit minnies deeper than 8"es with the 11" coil, but after 9 or 10"es you lose VDI, so you have to rely on the tones.
Soils, settings, and experience will determine your outcome. I have been digging minnies 10-12"es deep recently, faint tones no vdis with the 11"er.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
With same settings I see 10 to 20% more depth with the 11" in our soil. Of course you do lose a bit the AMAZING seperation of the 9" but still very very good.

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was messaging with Bonepicker & he says he's pretty sure he gets better depth with his 11". Our soil is benign which might be giving me an advantage with the 9"??? I know Vino said he gets better depth in PA with his CTX but I did thorough tests on various fields here in MD and the Deus went just as deep on every single target and even did much better with tiny targets at depth.

Just want to pass on this info. Maybe someone from your area can chime in. I could be comparing apples to bowling balls if our soils are a lot different.

Just to let you know I was wrong!!!
The deus is by far a deeper machine.
Just have to know what your listening for.
Ive tested on more one one occasion now.
You were right Gary!

gwdigger

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
Ocean City, Md
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Just to let you know I was wrong!!!
The deus is by far a deeper machine.
Just have to know what your listening for.
Ive tested on more one one occasion now.
You were right Gary!
Yes, I was pretty confident after doing thorough tests around here. Like i said, until I ordered my wife a Deus, was pretty sure I'd never sell my CTX. The CTX had been the best detector I'd ever used for colonial hunting farm fields. Its still funny my 1st introduction to the Deus. Watching the Youtube videos I thought it was a wimpy toy - with its hamster fart-like sounds. lol. Boy was I wrong. But i needed a light detector for my 5'1" wife. The rest as they say is history.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread