Question about detector. Need advice.

Bama_BigJohn

Nov 21, 2006
Scottsboro, AL
Detector(s) used
Still trying to decide.
I'm trying to narrow down what detector I should go after and hope ya'll have some good advice. I'm a newbie and have never owned one. I will be detecting in the Northern Alabama, middle Tennessee, Northwestern Georgia area. I'd like to shoot for coins, jewelry and I also pan gold so I'd like one that could have a shot at that too. I'd like visual target ID also. Any suggestions as to a good machine to start with? Thanks in advance. John

mtntrekr2

Jul 15, 2007
berks county, pa.
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II 1000, Xterra-70 x3, Garret ace 250,
Get an Ace 250. Simple to use. Easy to learn. And will teach you a lot. Not to say easy to resell if you loose the bug.

Just my thoughts
Joe

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
mtntrekr2 said:
Get an Ace 250. Simple to use. Easy to learn. And will teach you a lot. Not to say easy to resell if you loose the bug.

Just my thoughts
Joe

Ditto! great little machine. I love mine

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi John, It is hard to have a detector that excels at all types of detection as most of us have one for each type of hunt we like to do. Sort of like golf clubs or firearms. Ya just can't have just one...... :wink:

With that in mind I think the Whites DFX or better yet the MXT would suit ya just fine. With a couple different sized coils you'd be pretty much set for tons of fun and finds.

For a field test on the MXT http://losttreasure.com/fieldtests/ArchiveView07.cfm?ID=lt20030137

Good Luck,
Sandman

TimC (North Alabama)

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2007
Cullman, AL
Detector(s) used
Minelabs-Garretts-Fishers-Teknetics-Whites-Nautilus-Tesoros'
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MXT for sure, Its always best to start with the best machine you can afford, that way with an MXT you won't have to upgrade in a month if you really get into it or even if you don't the MXT is really easy to sell and holds a good resale value so you can make a lot of your money back and a transferrable warranty for the new owner.

sqwaby

Apr 13, 2008
I own a ace 250 and think its a good first machine, for coins and jewelry. Don't think its going to work well as a prospecting machine.

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I would never recommend any Ace for prospecting (I don't know ground conditions) because it has preset ground balance meaning it can only "ignore" a certain amount of minerals without turning down sensitivity.

If ground conditions allow it will find gold if it is big and shallow enough.

Ah yes MXT, X-Terra70, F75, GTI 2500 should do fairly well.

I recommend GTI 2500 because your in the US, if your outside the US forget about it.

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
eu_sitzen, what do you mean out of the u.s. for get about it. I don't understand like,fill us in please?

Ramapirate

Jul 5, 2006
Charlotte
Detector(s) used
Primary detector is a Garrett AT Pro
Also have a Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know y'all are going to ask if I'm bi-polar or something (due to my normal love of the Ace 250)
but it really depends on how much money you want to spend. You will not beat the Ace 250 for
less than $500. That's where you start getting into machines that can do more for you than the
$212.00 or so Ace 250. And I've been told that by the pros. (Get the big coil for it, well worth
the extra money)

My two cents worth,
Ramapirate

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
liftloop said:
eu_sitzen, what do you mean out of the u.s. for get about it. I don't understand like,fill us in please?

I don't think the discrimination is not good for Europe, should have been more specific.
Because I know John Edmonton has success with his outside the US. He's in Canada.

24 notches does not well representing 100's of old coins that you could run your coil over, I know many modern coins will read around even down to the iron area although they are close to completely free of iron.
(there might be some because of ground mineralization among other)

The discrimination here on MY coins is very jumpy, average was 7 "jumps" (between the notches) per coin,.
Try learning 100's of coins if they average with 7 jumps per coin.. I bet you can do the math.

I hope that helps, but yes if there is anything there it will certainly find it if it ain't to small or deep.

It gets coins at 8" in factory presets in my low mineralized ground. (The GTI 2500)

I did have one once.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread