Question about dump banks

patpall22

Jul 4, 2006
Carmel ca/ Big Sur ca
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, whites DFX, XP DEUS, etrac and sandshark
Hello to all treasure hunters on this forum, I wish you all good luck for this New Year. My question is, how do you guys and galls pick your dump banks for your searched halves. I don't think that my branch has a coin counter, and sometimes the tellers will sarcastically respond with things like "oh halves are you serious?" I know that my branches have to take the coins, but I also would like others input on how much of a burden it is on the tellers. I really like most of the tellers at my banks because when ever I ask for halves, they all seem to go out of their way to locate every halve from every teller. Is it a good idea to return searched coins at one branch location, or spread out the haul among many branches? I always apologize for the inconvenience, mainly because I know that the bank has produced silver. Do banks look down upon these deposits? Any info you folks have would be greatly appreciated, you have all been such a wonderful source of information and inspiration.

Upvote 0

scotto

Bronze Member
Dec 23, 2006
My first M/D find
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
I tried to dump 17 rolls at a bank the other day, and they wouldn't let me, because I don't have an acount with them. When I ordered my box the other day from the bank that I do have one, the lady asked me to return them to a different branch. She said she'd order me all I wanted, as long as I didn't bring them back. :D

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If possible, I would recommend not getting your coins from the same bank as you dump them at, if possible unless there are special circumstances.

You may want to open up an account at a different bank that has a coin counter and just keep a minimum balance in it. Ideally, the other bank will have multiple local branches as well so you could vary where you dump your rejects off at. Buying coins at one bank and returning them to the same bank will get old to the tellers if you do it alot.

In my case, I do tend to dump most of my rejects back through one bank that I also get them from. But I spread out the buying so I don't see any one branch more than once or twice a month for buying or returning coins. That and most branches of my dump bank have self-serve coin counting machines so there is no burden to the tellers except to handle the receipt given by the coin machine. So all of the heavy lifting is done by me (except to pick up coins of course). I also like the self serve machines as there are no bags inside that get filled with one denomination and need to be changed out. All the coins just go into a giant hopper that gets filled by the total volume of coins instead and I believe is changed daily (or more frequently as necessary). For all of the many times I have used these machines with large volumes (up to 3 canvas bags full), I have only seen them fill up and need to be changed 3 times. They also seem to be accurate, as I have not detected a miscount yet.

Good luck and HCRH.

OP
OP
patpall22

patpall22

Jul 4, 2006
Carmel ca/ Big Sur ca
Detector(s) used
I know what you mean Scotto. I have the same problem, to many tellers are doing me a solid, so I don't want to dump them all off there. I have only order 4 boxes, and searched three, but I think that some of my boxes are being searched. I wonder if brinks could weigh the roles, then search the ones that are a few grams heavier. that would explain why I got a box with all 1974 coins marked, and found just 4 40% no 90%.
I have another box coming next week from a branch that sold me a box that contained 23 90%'Er's. I wonder if that was just a great box, or one that had not been tampered with.

OP
OP
patpall22

patpall22

Jul 4, 2006
Carmel ca/ Big Sur ca
Detector(s) used
GMan00001 said:
If possible, I would recommend not getting your coins from the same bank as you dump them at, if possible unless there are special circumstances.

You may want to open up an account at a different bank that has a coin counter and just keep a minimum balance in it. ideally, the other bank will have multiple local branches as well so you could vary where you dump your rejects off at. Buying coins at one bank and returning them to the same bank will get old to the tellers if you do it alot.

In my case, I do tend to dump most of my rejects back through one bank that I also get them from. But I spread out the buying so I don't see any one branch more than once or twice a month for buying or returning coins. That and most branches of my dump bank have self-serve coin counting machines so there is no burden to the tellers except to handle the receipt given by the coin machine. So all of the heavy lifting is done by me (except to pick up coins of course). I also like the self serve machines as there are no bags inside that get filled with one denomination and need to be changed out. All the coins just go into a giant hopper that gets filled by the total volume of coins instead and I believe is changed daily (or more frequently as necessary). For all of the many times I have used these machines with large volumes (up to 3 canvas bags full), I have only seen them fill up and need to be changed 3 times. They also seem to be accurate, as I have not detected a miscount yet.

Good luck and HCRH.
thanks for the info. That's a great strategy and kind on your part.

snappy

Jan 23, 2007
sidney montana
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
GMan00001 said:

You may want to open up an account at a different bank that has a coin counter and just keep a minimum balance in it. Ideally, the other bank will have multiple local branches as well so you could vary where you dump your rejects off at. Buying coins at one bank and returning them to the same bank will get old to the tellers if you do it alot.

Good luck and HCRH.

I have never seen a self serve coin counting machine. does the bank charge for you using this? also could you please list bank name that has these. odds are that I will not have that bank or branch with in 300 mile radius.

goldinmypan

Apr 18, 2006
Ventura, CA
Detector(s) used
LST
No coin counters around me. When I was first starting out I noticed that some banks with multiple branches never had halves. I guess they send them back to their main branch or something. I opened accounts with them and use them as my dump. I usually run about $5-6 thousand a month and I don't like dumping more than $250-350 at a time. So with about 30 branches of my dump banks available, I don't have to hit any of them more than once a month. Any more than that and they might start to get unhappy with me. Don't want that to happen, especially after listening to some of the horror stories on this site. I have noticed that some of the bigger banks especially those with large merchant accounts are less likely to complain about large dumps of coin.

snappy

Jan 23, 2007
sidney montana
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
I guess living in a small town in the middle of no where has it's draw backs. only 2 banks and 2 credit unions. The nearest city with other banks is 50 miles away they have 5 banks (according to yahoo) I go there about once every 3 months or so to hit walmart.

I make a long trip each year so I guess I will hit each bank along the way clean them out deposit all the coins at the next branch bank I come across. I am sure they would be upset taking so many coins so I would just deposit them into my account. withdraw money at next branch and clean them out do it again.

I will keep crh but slowly due to lack of banks.

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have accounts with 3 of the major banks....the reason is there are many branches around & to be able to order boxes and dump. Although I do lean on one particular bank more than others for dumps. I bring them breakfeast often so they don't seem to mind & we chit chat when they are slow...have to stay on friendly terms with them.

If I know I am going to a particular area to pick up halves I will sometimes save my dumps for a branch in that area before picking up the halves or a box. I can tell though some of the older tellers are that excited when they see me darn near dragging a sack of halves through the door...lol. So far it has worked out pretty well.....keeping my fingers crossed.

OP
OP
patpall22

patpall22

Jul 4, 2006
Carmel ca/ Big Sur ca
Detector(s) used
GMan00001 said:

Are the percentages of receiving searched coins greater than that of a different bank (ordered boxes only)? What is the process that takes place after someone places the order for a box of halves? Also, how, is it possible to open the rolls when the are spun? I am really curious about the whole process, and the statistical odds one might receive in a typical box.

OP
OP
patpall22

patpall22

Jul 4, 2006
Carmel ca/ Big Sur ca
Detector(s) used
lejeuene said:
I have accounts with 3 of the major banks....the reason is there are many branches around & to be able to order boxes and dump. Although I do lean on one particular bank more than others for dumps. I bring them breakfeast often so they don't seem to mind & we chit chat when they are slow...have to stay on friendly terms with them.

If I know I am going to a particular area to pick up halves I will sometimes save my dumps for a branch in that area before picking up the halves or a box. I can tell though some of the older tellers are that excited when they see me darn near dragging a sack of halves through the door...lol. So far it has worked out pretty well.....keeping my fingers crossed.
Thats a good idea although I don't think that I could pull of the whole breakfast think as well as you do. I guess it's time to open another account, Maby at a bank thats been nasty to me :-\

prizm II

Dec 21, 2006
Detector(s) used
whites prizm II
What works for me is that I'm getting two boxes on Tue and Thurs at the bank that has my home loan.
I never return to this bank, all my coins go to two different branches of my credit union that have coin counters. I never buy any at the credit union. Sometimes I mark 50-100 coins just to see if they ever come back around. Also a small gift and lots of smiles and thank yous when you find tellers that are happy to help you.

goldinmypan

Apr 18, 2006
Ventura, CA
Detector(s) used
LST

[/quote]

Also, how, is it possible to open the rolls when the are spun?
[/quote]

I use a dull set of tweezers and just slide it under the lip and pry up. Once it is raised a little, I put the point under and just work it around the edge until the paper is un-crimped. Quite fast once you get the hang of it. I'm sure other tools would be just as good but this is what I started with and it comfortable for me. Look at the side of the roll to see which crimp is the biggest and unroll that side. This gives you more paper to work with when you reroll.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread