What makes a good day?

Jul 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Wow, I've been reading the posts, and I'm amazed at what some of you think is a good day! ;) ;) ;)

For me, I think any day with silver is good... even the days when I don't find any are pretty good, because I even enjoy the anticipation of "maybe the next roll will have silver"...

That being said, I've been seeing lots of post where people are finding 5 times as much in one day as I've found since I started looking a couple months ago! Maybe once I've had some of the really phenomenal finds, my expectations will change.

Just finished going through a $500 box, and found:

1 90% Kennedy
4 40% Kennedy
1 1976S proof in near perfect condition

Upvote 0

scotto

Bronze Member
Dec 23, 2006
My first M/D find
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Yup, any day you get silver is a good day. Some people doing CRH do good, some get skunked a lot. I have about 9 banks near me, and only two ever have rolls of halves, and most of the time they have been searched already. :P I just ordered my first box, I think it's the only shot I have at getting much. My best day netted me 5 keepers out of 21 rolls.
One 90% and four 40%. But I'm rather small time at this anyway.

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since I enjoy CRHing, a good day for me is having something to look through. Most days I find something of interest in what I am looking through, but not always. I am a coin collector and although silver is a nice bonus, it is not what drives me to CRH. Up until last year I thought almost all the silver was gone, so I concentrated on searching pennies and nickels.

For me it is always that anticipation of what you might find in the next roll (Indian head penny, V-nickel, double die coin, proof coin, foreign coin, silver coin, etc.)

I used to collect sports cards (until the market crashed) and opening packs of cards used to have the same feel as you never knew what was in the next pack. Coins have one key advantage: with coins you can get rid of rejects for the price you paid for them minus the cost to acquire them (gas, time, car repair, etc.) and just keep the ones you want. With sports cards, you were usually stuck with either keeping the commons or unloading them at far under what you paid for them.

The only "bad" days I can think of are if I bought $X in coins but received $Y where $X much greater than $Y. As of yet everytime I have had that happen, the coins I have found have either far outweighed the face value losses I have experienced or been small (less than the fees some banks try to charge for coins).

Enough rambling for now, good luck and HCRH.

prizm II

Dec 21, 2006
Detector(s) used
whites prizm II
Some times not knowing what to expect in your next box is half the fun. 0-10 keepers in a box covers most all of my boxes, the more you search the more you will find cause that "fantastic" box is sitting on a pallet somewhere waiting for you to buy it :)

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Waking up in the morning with good health & smelling a freshly brewed pot of coffee.....having family and friends that care about you.....the freedom we have as Americans......oh... ???, this is not really where you were going with your subject......sorry......just kidding....I was just having a little fun..... ;D

Any day that brings silver is a good day.....even if it is just one....that is one more than you had the day before. I suppose if you are able to get out to do some CRH'ing it is still a good day....even if you get skunked that particular day.... ;)

DrDetector

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT
I agree with what is being said here. The last box of halves I got finally netted me a Walker and Two Franklins. Those were the first pre-Kennedies I had ever gotten from a box, and I'm over 16,000 halves searched. Sometimes you may feel you have wasted hours looking through your rolls and come up empty handed at the end of the day. It's like any other hobby I suppose. But it beats sitting around and watching television, right? Even if you have nothing to show for your time spent, miles driven, seemingly odd explanations having to be told, etc, at least you're doing something you like to do. So really any time you come out of it with any keepers, it's just more of a bonus.

However, if you want an identifiable number....as far as halves go, I'd say 10 or more keepers in a box is a 'good' box.

Nickels, If I find 20 or more 50+ year old nickels, I consider that a 'good' box.

noebody

Dec 9, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE....Excalibur coming soon
Any day you live to see the sunset, be it silver or golden, is great.

goldinmypan

Apr 18, 2006
Ventura, CA
Detector(s) used
LST
I like to set a bench mark for my boxes at 10 silvers or 1 every 5 rolls. So far this year I have had 11 boxes lower and 8 higher. My average last year came out to be 9.something and this year I am at 9.4. Thats a little below the benchmark but its in the ballpark.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread