Question about explorer...

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
you can adjust your gain setting so that deeper targets sound fainter while shallow ones sound loud. i believe the stock set up is where everything is amplified so mid to shallow depth targets sound the same. look in your manual under gain settings and it will explain how this feature works. also, a smaller coil will effect your depth readings a little bit.

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250
As hollow said, the gain setting controls that. If you leave your gain at default settings (5 if I am correct) you will hear the difference in intensity between a shallow and deeper coin. Raising that setting will cause the fainter signals to sound louder.......making them sound closer to what a shallow coin would sound like. It is normally recommended to keep the gain at 7 or 8. I keep it at 7, and with that setting, I do notice the difference between a shallow and deep signal. I'm pretty sure that if you max that setting out, coins at all depths would sound close to the same. I only have the stock coil, so I'm not sure how the depth guage reads with an 8" coin.

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
I usually set my gain at 10, I have very bad ears. If in doubt about the depth, I look at gauge. I have tried setting gain at 7, my cursor goes to coin, and I don't hear anything. So, I just crank it.

neilo

Aug 23, 2005
Deep targets can give a broken signal all you can do is go by the tone as to identification the digital readout is inaccurate at depth. What you will find is you start to dig the target and you lose the target, then as you dig down further the target reappears, this happens when using the machine in a discrimination pattern.If in doubt you can put the machine is pin point to make sure there is still a target in the hole. The 8 inch coil depth reading is reasonably accurate, but this as with the bigger 10 inch is reliant on coil height above the ground. seeya Neilo

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ricardo_NY1 said:
As hollow said, the gain setting controls that. If you leave your gain at default settings (5 if I am correct) you will hear the difference in intensity between a shallow and deeper coin. Raising that setting will cause the fainter signals to sound louder.......making them sound closer to what a shallow coin would sound like. It is normally recommended to keep the gain at 7 or 8. I keep it at 7, and with that setting, I do notice the difference between a shallow and deep signal. I'm pretty sure that if you max that setting out, coins at all depths would sound close to the same. I only have the stock coil, so I'm not sure how the depth guage reads with an 8" coin.

Yeah most times the signal is pretty strong on the deep stuff with a maxed gain. If a target isn't, simply remove a little dirt and it will either get better or disappear. Where I hunt I dig all non-iron targets and have had my gain at 10 since day one. (Quite a few years now)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread